Ratings for Dr. David B. Jarrett

Great Dr.,.. Always a straight shooter,....made me accountable for my actions in my addiction and in life...we will miss you. Just a side note for the comments above..No Dr. or Any person has made another person do anything.......especially commit suicide or overdose. Gods in controll of that....obviously not there parents.

flag | Submitted November 21, 2014

I just had my last appointment with Dr. Jarrett due to his retirement. I can certainly say that he is THE BEST psychiatrist I have ever worked with during my 12+ years of needing psychiatric care. He is the most compassionate, knowledgeable, professional, and warm psychiatrist out there. He always took the time to teach me about my medications and help me understand why they were helping me and how they interacted with one another. I have never felt better thanks to the adjustments he made to my prescriptions! He also patiently listened to me in a psychotherapist role, even though I was seeing him primarily for medication management. He (and his dog Mel) are going to be SORELY missed, and my next psychiatrist will have large shoes to fill! If you ever get the chance to work with Dr. Jarrett, you won't be sorry!!!! He is a gifted and amazing person and psychiatrist!!!

flag | Submitted June 19, 2013

He seemed to sleep through my appt and was fine in writing any and all prescriptions for me. He seemed to be as depressed as I was.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2013

Very organized, knowledgeable, and attentive, in addition to legitimately caring about what I was saying. The office dog was an unexpected and adorable surprise. Dr. Jarrett definitely seems to keep all of his patients' needs in mind, and will work with you to find the best solutions. Some reviews seem to criticize his over-willingness to prescribe medicine, but he has never pushed medicine on me and would never insist on prescribing anything I was hesitant about. Recommended!

flag | Submitted November 16, 2011

Prescribed Vyvanse(ADD med) along with Ativan(anti-anxiety med) for our 21-yr-old son. Vyvanse is an amphetamine, which can cause anxiety, so why add Ativan instead of just taking off Vyvanse? Ativan is a highly addictive benzodiazepine, and our son became addicted. After eleven months in 2008, Dr. J withdrew him by dropping his dosage by 2/3 and changing it to "as needed". This is contrary to recommendations of manufacturer and other medical professionals. Patients should NOT be withdrawn abruptly, but should be tapered slowly from it or replacement drug. Son began experiencing high anxiety and paranoia. The following month doctor increased dosage some, but it did not help. After two months, increased back to original dose. Again, did not help. Son committed suicide ten days later. (Note: He had quit using marijuana/ pills two months prior, so question remains if this contributed. However, knowing this, doctor should have used even more care in withdrawing him correctly.)

flag | Submitted September 8, 2011

Never paid attention to anything I was saying, never made eye contact. Totally blew me off when I asked about side effects of medicines. Was on a medicine for over 6 months and never had blood levels checked. Got sick and found out it was toxicity from the medicine he had me on and I should have had frequent blood draws. Stay away from this dr!!!

flag | Submitted September 7, 2010

pretty good as far as psychiatrists go. it seems to run in the profession that they don't ACTUALLY care about you--apparently that's what psychologists are for. decently personable and participates in some community outreach programs. brings in his sweet little therapy dog sometimes for you to pet.

flag | Submitted August 5, 2010

This doctor slept through practically every appointment and overmedicated me to the point of being addicted to Ambien and Xanax. All I got was a handful of prescriptions every time I went. He claimed Ambien was not addictive. Well, it definitely is and I would not recommend anyone take it, as it is highly addictive. There's plenty of information on the internet about this drug. I was hospitalized because of the serious side effects of being addicted and stopping the medication. My daughter finally convinced me to find another doctor. Thank heavens I did go to another doctor. I then got the help I needed without being overmedicated.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2010

I have been a patient of Dr. Jarrett's for almost five years now. I never have to wait longer than 15 minutes, if any past my appointment time. He is very helpful and wants to see his patients happy and successful. He really does care about his patients and is very understanding. The staff is very friendly and always very helpful to work with you and your schedule when making appointments. He is very knowledgeable and his services saved my life. I highly recommend Dr. Jarrett to anyone who is looking for a great psychiatrist.

flag | Submitted January 12, 2010

Overdosed me on medication in 2004. Gave me meds for side effects caused by initial medication that wasn't helping. Prescribed medications and did not explain dosing properly. Had to quit my job and ended up in the hospital when I was so sick and fustrated on meds that I didn't show up for an appointment. Doctors at the hospital wondered why he was treating me because they thought he only did the methadone clinic. After his treatment, my diagnosis changed from treatable generalized anxiety disorder to bipolar with mixed episodes. I have been putting my life back together over the past 3.5 years and now don't need medication. I have had cognitive therapy and now practice yoga and mindfulness. When I started with him, I requested a referral to a therapist for cognitive behavioral therapy and he sent me to a psychoanalyst who thought my family life was the cause of my anxiety. He always had a lot of drug company paraphenalia around the office.

flag | Submitted February 14, 2008

Dr. David B. Jarrett's Credentials

• Duke University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1972)

• Blue Cross Of California