Ratings for Dr. Cheryl D. Bernstein

I worked in healthcare for several decades including with impatient pain management patients. Please believe the one star reviews, they're very legitimate. I I had only scheduled with Bernstein due to expediency--I was running out of pain medication for a condition that is considered devastating by specialist familiar with it. Because it was so rare, the terminology started to be used for a far less serious condition, but Bernstein was unfamiliar with this and since she doesn't admit any input from the patient, she remains uninformed. The most damaging part of seeing her what was that, despite being told I could still move on to the doctor I really wanted to see, but who didn't have an available appointment for several weeks, I now have to be "reassigned" to the doctor by Bernstein. From what I understand all the other doctors in the UPMC practice do this expeditiously, except for Bernstein. The person trying to schedule me has been working for three weeks to get Bernstein to sign off on another patient, per protocol, but says Bernstein is very 'difficult to reach'. Until Bernstein relinquishes a patient, they cannot be scheduled for another doctor in the group. And I have a feeling that it's 'good luck with that'. I wish I had just prepared for withdrawal--which occurred--rather than wasting time and money seeing her. Please don't make the same mistake.

flag | Submitted May 19, 2017

Does not care about the pain you are in.... Assistant did not believe my sciatic pain and gave rude facial expressions as I described my symptoms and pain. Three people came in like a firing squad. Doctor refused to help with pain management because she is friends with my current doctor. She didn't want to start "a war" as she put it.

flag | Submitted March 2, 2016

I waited almost 2 hours past my appt time to see her. The rudest, most uncompassionate doctor I have ever met. I will not see her again and have found educated, experienced treatment elsewhere. She is obviously not interested in helping people, has the bedside manner of Lizzy Borden.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2015

I have severe spinal stenosis and terminal stage arthritis in my right hip, which is being replaced in April. I came to Dr. Bernstein for the 1st time with a pre-existing morphine prescription for the expressed purpose of finding some ways to reduce my need for morphine. I did not come seeking narcotics, and my PCP had not intended her to prescribe for me. So naturally she ordered an extensive drug test, which merely confirmed what I had told her, and which ended up costing me over $200. She was nearly an hour late for my appointment, rolled her eyes and made a sour face when I told her that the acupuncture treatments were helping me, and then suggested drugs that would have affected my mental acuity and interfered with my job. The next day I called the clinic during normal business hours and discovered that I couldn't reach a live person, even a receptionist, much less someone with medical training, but had to leave a message on a recording device. For a clinic that purports to treat persons with severe chronic pain, that is unconscionable. If a patient has a job and does not have a private office, as is my situation, are they supposed sit around and wait for a call back all day, then discuss intensely private matters in a public place.? And if they miss the call, how long must they play telephone tag with the clinic staff? That whole misnamed Pain Clinic is nothing but a glorified pill dispensary, and a lousy one at that. For their own convenience, they enforce rigid protocols that treat all patients like interchangeable cogs rather than unique individuals, which means that by default, all patients must be treated like criminal suspects instead of respected individuals. A patient's dignity and self respect are under assault from the moment one walks in there. Instead of helping patients to manage their pain, all the emphasis is on managing the patients. It is the UPMC corporate healthcare model run amok.

flag | Submitted February 25, 2015

Terrible physician!!! Why does UPMC keep her? Sent home with nothing, only a copay bill.

flag | Submitted October 29, 2014

I was a patient who was being treated for chronic degenerative joint disease by the UPMC Pain Center from 2010 until 2013 when I thought my local Primary Care Dr. could prescribe pain medication because a 50 miles trip could be avoided and it was until almost a month ago Vicodin became a Class II drug. Made an an appointment and showed up today only to be very rudely dismissed because my PCP didn't send my records and therefore I couldn't receive prescription. Bernstein is rude, aloof, and impertinent. This UPMC group was excellent until she became head of this practice. Tell me, what would you do if you were in my situation? Wouldn't you feel slighted after missing a day of work , showing up 30 min. Before appt. And wasting a $40 copay and being denied any help? Very Rev. Archpriest Steven Trosiek.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2014

All the negative reviews match my experience; what a rude, condescending jerk, & the practice is a mill. I was seen by a nurse then an assistant, then after an hour the assistant came in to send me home - and I hadn't even seen the doctor! The fellow (a Dr. Moore) who eventually saw me next spent the whole time talking to the computer, scowling, and didn't even know that amytryptiline is the generic name for Elavil, and kept asking if I'd tried one or the other or considered other tricyclics after I told him I'd had a violent, life-threatening reaction to it! His "exam" was a joke; he barely touched me. He told me Bernstein is the "guru" of fibromyalgia. And he wigged out when I told him the meds I've been stable on for years now at very low doses & said they would *not* be prescribed there, no matter what. Eventually Bernstein waltzed in with them *all* in tow, announcing as she did that she does not prescribe the meds I take, and I should go to her program. None of them even asked anything else about the new pain I was having, or examined that body part, or asked about other meds I'm on. They were all glued to the walls on the far side of the room, as far away from me as physically possible. She blew me off on a couple if other things I needed as well - "I don't get involved in that" re: scooters, and refused the PA handicapped placard I need to replace mine from the state I just moved from, because she never gives those for fibro. Well, lady, yeah, I do have fibro, but most of my crippling pain comes from *very* obvious sources from other conditions, and I've spent decades figuring out what works and finally got it sorted out - and now you're unwilling to even consider any of it?? Cookbook medicine I'm not interested in. I was so rattled by the whole process and waiting *two hours* to see her, with them all ganged up on the far side of the room that I completely forgot to ask the list of questions I had about her background, approach, etc. Then the nurse told me their "program" consisted of a series of *lectures* from her, the PT, and a psychologist! Now I'm afraid to even look for a different doc because I'm afraid they've labeled me in the system as a drug-seeker, despite my telling them I was *not* asking for meds. I have zero faith that this woman gives a rat's a** about me and less that she understands me or individualized medicine.

flag | Submitted October 6, 2014

She is very rude,unproffessional, have bace pain from bothed operation and brokeen disks , she came in and never wanted to know want my pain was coming from or and info on my case, 2 she told me she was meaning that mmy last dr that left the practice, 3 told me ! She would give me a new script for 1 mo, I quit and went somewhere else.

flag | Submitted October 5, 2014

I have had two botched spinal operations, and suffer from chronic nerve and back pain as a result. Dr. Bernstein is the most unprofessional person I have encounter in the 5 years I've been in treatment and physical therapy for my injury. One time she left the office to pick up her child from school while I was waiting for her to come back in with discharge instructions. After an hour and a half, the very apologetic nurse told me she had left on a "personal matter", and I heard the truth discussed as I left, that she just forgot. I have never sought "drugs" but rather alternatives to the hard narcotic pain meds most dr.s prescribed, yet was treated like a drug seeker by her every time I referred to my pain. She has never physically examined me, but rejected my claim for disability (the final reason on the decision from ss). When I asked her what she based her decision to reject my disability claim, having never examined me, she stated "because I don't believe in it", and told me she would not argue with me about it that I could find another doctor. The problem with "finding another doctor" in the pain management field, is that you can't, without being labeled as a drug seeker who is doctor shopping, she is my second doctor to treat me, or I should say "mistreat" me, since my surgeries, and only my first pain doctor, but I fear this woman does far more harm than good. I for one am finally ready to find another doctor, and I would like to warn others, that if you are really looking to get help and actual treatment, please avoid this woman.

flag | Submitted October 3, 2014

I am a registered nurse and was referred to dr bernstein for pain management for back issues. I was apalled at the unprofessionalism, rudeness, unkindness, apathy and lack of bedside manner that this woman possesses. She asked nothing about me or my condition. She did no examination. She insinuated that I was a drug addict and suggested that I needed psychological intervention. How she arrived at that determination is beyond me, since she did not ask me a single question. I couldnt believe what I was hearing. When I tried to speak and ask questions she put her hand up in my face and said STOP and refused to listen. I did nothing to deserve being treated that way. I hope to God that in my 25 + years of nursing that I have never treated a patient that way. This woman needs her license revoked.

flag | Submitted October 1, 2014

Dr. Cheryl D. Bernstein's Credentials

• Univ Of Rochester Sch Of Med & Dentistry, Rochester Ny 14642 (Grad. 1994)