Ratings for Dr. Arno Smit

I broke my shoulder and he wouldn't even explain the location of the break. I had a lot of pain in a different location to the break and he refused to listen or do any further testing, saying that I was just goingto have issues for the rest of my life. Well its a year later after going back to my GP and waiting 6 mos for an MRI as my GP agreed something else was wrong. Now my MRI comes back showing a full thickness supraspinatus tear and its 'chronic' or old...because it happened when I broke it over a year ago, so I may not even be a candidate for surgery any more. Horrible patient interactions, doesn't care what is really wrong. Now I likely will have problems for the rest of my life because his 'god' complex didn't eve diagnose me properly!

flag | Submitted July 11, 2017

Should retire horrible doctor used to be a vet I feel very sorry for the animals he took care of they don't have a voice. Was a horrible experience for my mother he would not change her pain medication even though she was not tolerating it Mum never complains and has a high regard for doctors but this one is not worth seeing again. We found another surgeon for the other hip that was wonderful night and day experience.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2017

I just received my second hip replacement performed by Dr. Smit last week! He did the first one 2 years ago. I am confident that I got the best care possible! I only had to wait 8 months- quite tolerable, considering that it turns out the surgery was more difficult than expected. So glad I was in Dr. Smit' s experienced hands!! As for patients frustration with hospital wait lists- don't they understand it's the MEDICAL SYSTEM- NOT the doctors!!!???!! His reception staff is very helpful, although extremely busy. I just wish my surgery could have taken place in his clinic. So much cleaner than the hospital! ( and would have freed a bed )!! Thank you Dr. Smit!!

flag | Submitted February 19, 2017

The one good thing this Dr is good at is whisking you out of his office under 4 minutes per visit. I went prepared with the X-ray report and X-ray and he threw his arms up in the air saying " I don't know!" On two different visits. He is either overbooked, abusing the government funding or running from incompetence.

flag | Submitted January 24, 2017

We have had 4 visits to Dr. Smit in the last 5 months for a broken shoulder. Apart from a wait of over 30 minutes in his office which has been crowded he and his staff have been excellent. He has reviewed x-rays etc. before we get there and no wasted time. Little to no chit chat and he answers all questions fully with explanations. Very happy

flag | Submitted January 18, 2017

Dr Smit comes highly recommended, he is very professional and knowledgable

flag | Submitted November 4, 2016

I had an Oxford partial knee replacement and reconstructed ACL surgery at the same time from Dr Smit in 2004. Prior to it, I could not walk across the street without substantial pain. After the surgery and about 10 weeks of strenuous rehab, I was able to walk the golf course, eventually carrying my bag, and return to hockey. Unfortunately my hockey career ended eleven years later. My experience with Dr Smit was one of extremely honest responses to questions and risk. His skill as a surgeon appears to be outstanding. Candidly he can be a little brusk in the beginning, but he softens up.

flag | Submitted September 14, 2016

Completely incompetent. My mom waited over 2.5 years for a hip replacement which made her worse. She was forced to use a walker and shortly after was diagnosed with leukemia. Through her battle with this horrible disease it was determined that the prosthesis used for her hip was the wrong size. She was not a complainer but truly had no respect for this man's behavior. When I was caring for her in her final days I would have to lift her from her bed very carefully as the hip joint would pop out and was very painful for her when we had to manipulate it back in place. Sure hope this person was kinder to the horses he worked with as a horse vet. RIP mom

flag | Submitted June 10, 2016

I have had many surgeries on my knees starting at about 14 , yes I waited for over a year to get my scope done, but I was in hospital for a total Knee Replacement in less than 4 weeks, I read up on it and realized the most important thing was the post op work that is clearly up to the patient ( I worked hard and through the pain ) and My knee is amazing , Dr Smit has gone out of his way to help me with everything , Not every DR. is a warm and fuzzy guy that will sit there while you complain, he is honest , caring but he tells you the truth right to the point , and it is up to you to work hard and recover , I was out paddle boarding 11 months later , my knee is fantastic and he is one of the best surgeons there is ( your recovery is up to you) Tina Gordon

flag | Submitted May 25, 2016

I was warned against seeing Dr. Smit, but I kept the appointment, as his was the first to come up for a cortisone shot to relieve the pain in my right hip. I had that injection in August and believed I would be heading towards surgery for my osteoarthritis. Dr. Smit said the wait time for hip replacement surgery would be 6 months. The cortisone shot lasted two months and in October Dr. Smit suggested a further lubricating injection costing $595.00 plus $36.00 for the medicine. Dr. Smit said I would have pain relief for EIGHT MONTHS. It was this or nothing because in his opinion I was not severe enough for surgery. How far gone to you have to be to get surgery? I have three older sisters who have had very successful hip replacements. I am 71 years of age! Better to do it now as I am in good health. He really had me in a loop. On the day of the $595.00 injection, I walked out of his office in great pain that only got worse. In ten days I was ready to go to EMERGENCY and called his office. He saw me and prescribed $150.00 worth of pain killers? I just paid $595.00 for EIGHT MONTHS of pain relief. He did not do an ultrasound to see what the problem was, just said I had a reaction at the injection site. Two weeks later the pain had subsided a bit , but this time he walked in with papers for a FULL HIP REPLACEMENT. I wasn't ready 3 weeks prior, but now he didn't know what to do with me, and I had already paid him his money. He just wanted to get rid of me! Again, he did not take the time to look at the injection site. The receptionist gave me a surgery date of JANUARY 2017!!, NOT THE SIX MONTHS DR. SMIT HAD TOLDME. Six weeks after the lubricating injection, I still have bad pain in my hip and numbness running down my leg. I went to my family doctor and have requested a consult with a different surgeon. I have no confidence in Dr. Smit and believe he is a surgeon, but also an entrepreneur. BEWARE!!!!!

Submitted December 10, 2015