Ratings for Dr. Arno Smit

Dr. Smit completed two knee replacements on my mother. The care was excellent. As a surgeon he is understandably busy but took the time needed. He made frequent hospital visits after the surgery. We would highly recommend him to anyone needing a knee replacement. For success in any surgery, the patient needs to be responsible for following post operative care and exercise routine diligently to get full success.

flag | Submitted October 20, 2017

My grandma had a knee replacement over a ye ago and it has been a horrible experience. He not only did the operation wrong he won't even listen to her problems. She is still limping and is in extreme pain. My father in law has 1 replacements and is the same age and it has been a night and day experience. He won't even show her, her own X-rays!! He has been giving her a needle for the pain since the operation was done and he charges her!!! Not very professional.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2017

I broke my shoulder and he wouldn't even explain the location of the break. I had a lot of pain in a different location to the break and he refused to listen or do any further testing, saying that I was just goingto have issues for the rest of my life. Well its a year later after going back to my GP and waiting 6 mos for an MRI as my GP agreed something else was wrong. Now my MRI comes back showing a full thickness supraspinatus tear and its 'chronic' or old...because it happened when I broke it over a year ago, so I may not even be a candidate for surgery any more. Horrible patient interactions, doesn't care what is really wrong. Now I likely will have problems for the rest of my life because his 'god' complex didn't eve diagnose me properly!

flag | Submitted July 11, 2017

Should retire horrible doctor used to be a vet I feel very sorry for the animals he took care of they don't have a voice. Was a horrible experience for my mother he would not change her pain medication even though she was not tolerating it Mum never complains and has a high regard for doctors but this one is not worth seeing again. We found another surgeon for the other hip that was wonderful night and day experience.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2017

I just received my second hip replacement performed by Dr. Smit last week! He did the first one 2 years ago. I am confident that I got the best care possible! I only had to wait 8 months- quite tolerable, considering that it turns out the surgery was more difficult than expected. So glad I was in Dr. Smit' s experienced hands!! As for patients frustration with hospital wait lists- don't they understand it's the MEDICAL SYSTEM- NOT the doctors!!!???!! His reception staff is very helpful, although extremely busy. I just wish my surgery could have taken place in his clinic. So much cleaner than the hospital! ( and would have freed a bed )!! Thank you Dr. Smit!!

flag | Submitted February 19, 2017

The one good thing this Dr is good at is whisking you out of his office under 4 minutes per visit. I went prepared with the X-ray report and X-ray and he threw his arms up in the air saying " I don't know!" On two different visits. He is either overbooked, abusing the government funding or running from incompetence.

flag | Submitted January 24, 2017

We have had 4 visits to Dr. Smit in the last 5 months for a broken shoulder. Apart from a wait of over 30 minutes in his office which has been crowded he and his staff have been excellent. He has reviewed x-rays etc. before we get there and no wasted time. Little to no chit chat and he answers all questions fully with explanations. Very happy

flag | Submitted January 18, 2017

Dr Smit comes highly recommended, he is very professional and knowledgable

flag | Submitted November 4, 2016

I had an Oxford partial knee replacement and reconstructed ACL surgery at the same time from Dr Smit in 2004. Prior to it, I could not walk across the street without substantial pain. After the surgery and about 10 weeks of strenuous rehab, I was able to walk the golf course, eventually carrying my bag, and return to hockey. Unfortunately my hockey career ended eleven years later. My experience with Dr Smit was one of extremely honest responses to questions and risk. His skill as a surgeon appears to be outstanding. Candidly he can be a little brusk in the beginning, but he softens up.

flag | Submitted September 14, 2016

Completely incompetent. My mom waited over 2.5 years for a hip replacement which made her worse. She was forced to use a walker and shortly after was diagnosed with leukemia. Through her battle with this horrible disease it was determined that the prosthesis used for her hip was the wrong size. She was not a complainer but truly had no respect for this man's behavior. When I was caring for her in her final days I would have to lift her from her bed very carefully as the hip joint would pop out and was very painful for her when we had to manipulate it back in place. Sure hope this person was kinder to the horses he worked with as a horse vet. RIP mom

flag | Submitted June 10, 2016