Ratings for Dr. Arno Smit

I have only just met this doctor once and can say he has no bedside manner at all. Would not listen, practically threw me out after a 2 minute visit and did not explain the medications he prescribed. And I still have no idea what is wrong.

flag | Submitted March 29, 2018

Ask for a referral to a different doctor if going for Achilles’ tendon rupture, tendinosis. Fully ruptured Achilles 5 years ago. Despite his ‘intern’ saying he would perform surgery to repair, Dr. Smit refuses to treat Achilles ruptures with surgery. 2 years after rupture it was obvious I had a poor result and his answer was to not be as active (I was only 45 when he said this). I eventually got referred to the foot & ankle clinic and after evaluation was scheduled for surgery to repair the previously poorly healed tendon. Each time I visited Dr. Smit’s office I couldn’t help feeling that he was all about the money. He loves offering steroid injections in his surgical suite for a fee.

flag | Submitted March 20, 2018

would not recommend him.long wait times even with an appointment

flag | Submitted January 17, 2018

one and an half hour wait times with an 10:00am appointment. the waiting room is standing room only...when i finally got in, i was there for two and an half minutes and he was already opening the door.i was still asking him questions as he was walking out...i would not recommend dr smit, his business is one of the worst experiences i have had with an doctor in a long time... all this greedy dr cares about is making money...he does not care about his patients...

flag | Submitted January 12, 2018

Dr. Smit completed two knee replacements on my mother. The care was excellent. As a surgeon he is understandably busy but took the time needed. He made frequent hospital visits after the surgery. We would highly recommend him to anyone needing a knee replacement. For success in any surgery, the patient needs to be responsible for following post operative care and exercise routine diligently to get full success.

flag | Submitted October 20, 2017

My grandma had a knee replacement over a ye ago and it has been a horrible experience. He not only did the operation wrong he won't even listen to her problems. She is still limping and is in extreme pain. My father in law has 1 replacements and is the same age and it has been a night and day experience. He won't even show her, her own X-rays!! He has been giving her a needle for the pain since the operation was done and he charges her!!! Not very professional.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2017

I broke my shoulder and he wouldn't even explain the location of the break. I had a lot of pain in a different location to the break and he refused to listen or do any further testing, saying that I was just goingto have issues for the rest of my life. Well its a year later after going back to my GP and waiting 6 mos for an MRI as my GP agreed something else was wrong. Now my MRI comes back showing a full thickness supraspinatus tear and its 'chronic' or old...because it happened when I broke it over a year ago, so I may not even be a candidate for surgery any more. Horrible patient interactions, doesn't care what is really wrong. Now I likely will have problems for the rest of my life because his 'god' complex didn't eve diagnose me properly!

flag | Submitted July 11, 2017

Should retire horrible doctor used to be a vet I feel very sorry for the animals he took care of they don't have a voice. Was a horrible experience for my mother he would not change her pain medication even though she was not tolerating it Mum never complains and has a high regard for doctors but this one is not worth seeing again. We found another surgeon for the other hip that was wonderful night and day experience.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2017

I just received my second hip replacement performed by Dr. Smit last week! He did the first one 2 years ago. I am confident that I got the best care possible! I only had to wait 8 months- quite tolerable, considering that it turns out the surgery was more difficult than expected. So glad I was in Dr. Smit' s experienced hands!! As for patients frustration with hospital wait lists- don't they understand it's the MEDICAL SYSTEM- NOT the doctors!!!???!! His reception staff is very helpful, although extremely busy. I just wish my surgery could have taken place in his clinic. So much cleaner than the hospital! ( and would have freed a bed )!! Thank you Dr. Smit!!

flag | Submitted February 19, 2017

The one good thing this Dr is good at is whisking you out of his office under 4 minutes per visit. I went prepared with the X-ray report and X-ray and he threw his arms up in the air saying " I don't know!" On two different visits. He is either overbooked, abusing the government funding or running from incompetence.

flag | Submitted January 24, 2017