Dr. Joel A. Shapiro

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Joel A. Shapiro

Dr Shapiro has restored the full use of both my shoulders. Both he and the physical therapy staff have been extremely helpful and knowlegable. I would highly recomend Dr Shapiro and the staff at OSS.

flag | Submitted July 18, 2017

Dr. Shapiro was spot on with his assessments of my injury and what the surgery to repair and recovery would be like. After 75 days or so, I had full range of motion. I am back to swimming without pain, easing my way back to full strength. I am very pleased with the repair and where I am at with the recovery. Couldn't have been better. Thank you/1

flag | Submitted July 18, 2017

I am amazed at the work Dr. Shapiro was able to do on my shoulder, I had 3 major torn tendons that people said wasn't ever going to be the same. Dr. Shapiro's work repaired it back too full range of movement. I didn't have any major pain that I was told I would have. Thanks to his suggestion to buy the "Iceman". I was heald within 6 months and I still have some strengthening to do. I will never forget him or be able to thank him enough for the work he has done. I will always refer him to other people who are in need of surgery. Overall it was the best experience I have ever had with a surgeon who truly cares about his patients.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2017

Dr. Shapiro did an excellent job on my elbow surgery and my wife's shoulder repair. He's professional and personable and I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2017

Dr. Shapiro surgically repaired both my shoulders (the left shoulder in 2013 and the right shoulder in 2017). Both had rotator cuff tears, biceps tendon tears, impingement, and labral tears (confirmed through MRI’s). The injuries to my shoulders most likely occurred over the course of many years through various activities. Mounting pain and chronic discomfort left me no choice but to have repairs made to both my shoulders. Dr. Shapiro made repairs to my left shoulder first because it was initially much worse than the right shoulder. Afterwards, I put off having surgery on the right shoulder for over three years because the recovery was so long and painful. The left shoulder still has its limitations, but it’s much better now. After having surgery on my right shoulder early this year, Dr. Shapiro commented the damage to the tissues was more severe than the left shoulder was. However, so far the recovery has been much faster and less painful than the left shoulder was. Experience has taught me recovery takes at least a year (and is not 100%), but the chronic pain has subsided substantially and I’m able to perform most of the activities I’m accustom to. I’ve resigned myself to the fact my shoulders will never be like new, but I owe a debt of gratitude to Dr. Shapiro for greatly enhancing my quality of life!

flag | Submitted May 29, 2017

I was very pleased with Dr. Shapiro's surgery and followup care for my shoulder surgery. He analyzed it carefully and explained the procedure to me. I always felt confident that he was a competent and caring professional. He puts you at ease and is very caring. His staff at Seattle Orthopedic were very professional and helpful also. I would recommend Dr. Shapiro and his staff to anyone seeing help with their shoulder problem.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2017

Dr. Shapiro is an excellent surgeon. He was attentive, heard me, and treated me with compassion. He always made me feel as if I were his favorite patient. I cannot say enough good things about him.

flag | Submitted May 1, 2017

I highly recommend Dr. Shapiro. His style is professional and affable. He takes the time to answer questions in detail and provide options.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2017

From my initial visit where dr. shapiro explained all of my options, thru to my surgery he was incredibly helpful and reasuring as to the results i should expect. He was always thoughtful and had a positive approach to my predicament. it was only after the surgery that i learned how bad my injury was (i'm a bit squeamish with such things) and the lengths he went to in order to put things right. i will forever be greatful for his patience and desire to make things right. i have already given his name to a friend in a similiar predicament.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2017

From the first visit Dr Shapiro has been very clear in what I could expect. The surgery was a lot easier than I could have imagined and the follow up going well He is exactly the kind of Dr one hopes to always have and I will recommend him to friends in need of shoulder surgery

flag | Submitted March 12, 2017

Dr. Joel A. Shapiro's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Shapiro is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon with a clinical focus in shoulder and elbow surgery, arthroscopic surgery, and sports medicine. Dr. Shapiro sees a wide variety of shoulder problems, from arthritis to rotator cuff tears to tendonitis, and everything in between. He performs over 300 shoulder procedures per year, including many shoulder arthroscopies. While he is known in the community for being a shoulder and elbow specialist, Dr. Shapiro also has a large practice of patients with knee problems and injuries. Dr. Shapiro completed a medical degree at The State University of New York, Buffalo School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences. He completed a residency at Northwestern University. Dr. Shapiro joined Orthopedic Specialists of Seattle in 2001, after completing a fellowship in shoulder and elbow surgery. During Dr. Shapiro’s residency, he served on the medical staff of the Chicago Bulls, Cubs and Bears, and while he was completing his fellowship, he was a team doctor for the Mets. Today, he continues to treat many individuals with sports injuries. Outside of medicine, Dr. Shapiro likes to spend time with his two boys. He also enjoys hiking, biking and sailing.

• English

• State University Of New York At Buffalo School Of Medicine (Grad. 1995)