Ratings for Dr. David H. Broadbent

Dr Broadbent was the on-call OB when I was hospitalized with my son at 31 weeks 5 days for preeclampsia. I had been planning a home birth (my first pregnancy had been completely normal and I had delivered at home) and he was very respectful and kind to me where I know other physicians might have been very condescending and even angry. We first met when I had been on Magnesium Sulfate for about 45 minutes and had just arrived from a smaller hospital. He walked in the room, sat down to talk to me, and I promptly vomited convulsively into my vomit bag from the Mag. He never even flinched, simply giving the RN an order for zofran and helped care for my immediate needs. I read in several comments that people did not appreciate his humor, but I found it comforting that he was at ease enough in a serious situation to inject some humorous comments. I think it just depends on your personality whether you would be offended or appreciative. I was in the hospital over a holiday weekend, delivering by emergency C-section on Labor Day, and he was very attentive and never seemed far away at all. He closely monitored my condition and came to see me each day while I was recovering from delivering Monday and discharging on a Friday. He was very knowledgeable and answered all of my questions thoroughly and in a calm, un-rushed manner. I would not be opposed to returning to him for future pregnancies. His staff could improve I felt, they were very helpful with scheduling my follow up appointments but were not very helpful with their communication while actually in their office.

flag | Submitted January 20, 2017

This guy is a complete idiot. He doesn't remember anything that he has talked to you about in the past, and wastes your time telling you the same things that take an hour each time you visit. When we had the ultrasound to find out the baby's gender, he was very unclear about it. He kept saying things like, "I think it is either a boy, or a girl with a huge clitoris." Repeatedly I said, "So it's a boy then right?" and he would just repeat the same things and that we had done the ultrasound too early because they had the due date wrong, like that was our fault. Finally he put in the computer it was a boy, so I guess that's what it is, but he never would say it outright. He also acts like you would be an idiot to ever test your baby for anything, pretty much taking the decision away from you. Horrible doctor. An example of what not to do as a physician.

flag | Submitted December 5, 2015

My experience here was TERRIBLE. The staff was super short with me and uninterested in me. And he was 40 min late to the appointment. After 20 min of sitting in the waiting room, they took me back to get weighed and everything, and the nurse doing that was very non social and awkward. Then, after waiting 20 min in the room, I had to put my pants back on and go out and ask why it was taking so long. They said he was delivering a baby and they didn't know when he'd be back. They didn't even come let me know, I had to go out and ask. When he finally came, he helped me get on a new birth control and then sent me on my way. In all, I was there for an hour and a half, and most of that time was spent waiting. I will never go back to this office, it was a terrible experience.

flag | Submitted September 22, 2015

There's probably a worse OB doc out there somewhere, but if there is I don't know of any. Went to him with my first baby, born at UVRMC. After 20 years, I am still angry at this man. Incompetent, inept, and his sense of humor is sexually inappropriate. This man destroyed my trust in doctors. Having moved out of Utah after the birth of my first baby, I've met a few other women who went to this doctor, and not one of them had a good experience. Frankly, I'm surprised that there are any positive reviews of him at all. I don't know how he manipulates the Google reviews to get 4 and 5 star ratings. He was originally in practice with his father, who was also a horrible OB doc. At Utah Valley hospital in the 1960s, Dr. Broadbent Sr. would regularly withhold pain medication from the patients he didn't like (my mother was an RN and night nursing supervisor there). Please tell me David H. doesn't have a son who has gone into obstetrics. This man makes me sick! He definitely should have had his license revoked many years ago, and probably would if nurses would only speak up.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2015

When i went with Broadbent for my second baby i got a fast appointment but when i was bleeding at 6 weeks and called him he didn't really care he said that he would see me on Monday i had called him on Thursday night and he doesn't open Fridays i went in and he didn't even know who i was, he didn't seem to care, i lost the baby and i feel like he didn't try much to stop me from miscarrying never going to him again

flag | Submitted November 20, 2014

Delivered both my babies - 2011 and August 2014. He is a very soothing, humorous personality and very knowledgeable. He doesn't talk your ear off but will answer your questions. He always put me at ease. I plan on having my next baby delivered by him if I can help it.

flag | Submitted November 16, 2014

Dr. Broadbent delivered my last baby and he was excellent. I had a very high risk pregnancy and was told my baby would not survive. Dr. Broadbent always answered every question I had no matter how insignificant. During my C-Section he was very professional and I feel that his expertise is what helped me to have a baby that is still alive today. I would recommend him to anyone. He does have a sense of humor that is a little off sometimes but he is very nice and friendly always.

flag | Submitted October 29, 2014

Dr Broadbent is a horrible doctor I went to him for my 2nd pregnancy and the ultrasound was him talking to my husband about some marathon he had me do a glucose test at the hospital because I was 1 point to low and it was one of the worst experiences of my life then when he checks you he always puts a finger up your butt and says oh she doesn't like that wtf?!?! and when he did the strep test instead of using a swab he used the same thing they use to do a pap smear that scrapes and poked me with it had a sore on my butt for a week he had me schedule a induction for his own convenience and was mad when I didn't have him called to break my water I needed to pee and he would not let me use the bathroom so I had a pain in my side the entire delivery and pretty sure it was because of that so they just kept giving me more and more epidural so I was numb forever afterword he did the worst episiotomy and I had a feeling because he said idk what that is and left a skin tag at the bottom I kept asking the nursing if he stiched me up okay because it didn't seem right my first doctor had rumitoid arthritis and did a way better job it hurt so bad and the nurses would check me and say yup your bruised and have hemroids now too I still had to pee and had to show the nurses how to get me into the wheelchair I remember just seeing him and having to call him about something and he wouldn't even remember who I was total idiot and shouldn't be a doctor !!!!

flag | Submitted October 15, 2014

I was able to get in as a new patient fairly quickly. I had heard sketchy stories about Dr. Broadbent, but knew him and was hoping to be proved that the stories were just talk. The receptionist was on the phone making personal calls the entire time I was in the waiting room, and as such, did not utter 1 verbal word to me, everything was hand signals. I waited for over an hour before being called back. I was the only one there. I had to ask if they wanted a urine sample, the nurse said "Let's take one just in case". They had the wrong reason for my appt. (their fault) and they didn't quite know what to do with the change. On the plus side, I liked the toilet... (Trying to find a positive). Anyway, I was told I had an infection in my uterus that was making me sick. I was told I needed a hysterectomy. 12 Days later... I am at least 5 weeks pregnant... I guess they missed that one in the urine and blood work they did. Isn't that a basic test???

flag | Submitted September 6, 2013

Horrific experience! He was the on call doctor when I had my 6th child. He gave me an episiotomy without asking that required OVER 20 stitches to repair and months to feel better. In fact, for the first two weeks it made me cry to just walk around (and i have a very high tolerance for pain). When I asked why it was taking so long to stitch me up he replied, "Remind me to take that sponge out before I leave or you will really smell in a couple of days." Then he laughed. It unnerved me enough that I kept asking if he took out the sponge and he wouldn't answer until the nurse insisted he answer me as she recognized my nervousness. He was creepy and inappropriate and because of the stress on my body I got mastitis that would not go away for 8 weeks. It has traumatized me so much that I have not wanted to ever give birth again and still have not returned for a gynecological exam in 6 years. He should have his license revoked.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2013

Dr. David H. Broadbent's Credentials

• German

• University Of Utah School Of Medicine (Grad. 1985)