Ratings for Dr. Shamim Islam

I am so grateful for a doctor that cares. I took my grandson to a local emergency room hospital where the ER doctor spent five minutes if that looking at this child and came up with the most ridiculous diagnosis, I was so angry when I left, I think I know more than that doctor! Thank goodness for Dr.Islam, she took her time and figured it out. She is so polite (how nice in a society where rudeness seems to rule), and her years of experience and knowledge makes her one of the best doctors I have met.

flag | Submitted September 20, 2012

I agree with the prior poster, as my 6 month old had jaundice and we went through numerous bilirubin tests and ended up going to the hospital where they didnt let me nurse. I failed at BF and found out after that it's normal. That said, I love Dr. Islam! She is very sweet and knowledgable. I found her to be a little old fashioned though.

flag | Submitted April 4, 2008

I love this doctors personality and gentleness with my kids. However I was disturbed that at my youngest childs 2 week check up Dr. Islam seemed overly concerned about her jaundice even though I expressed that we were exclusively breastfeeding. She wanted to continue tracking her bilirubin (even though we had already done a couple of tests which were all fine) and tried to insist to me that I needed to add formula to help flush the jaundice. My daughter was gaining weight fantastically and did not need the additional fluid. Jaundice is very common, "normal" in breastfed babies (I've had 3 prior, so I know from personal experience as well) I refused more bilirubin testing and refused to feed formula for the sake of the jaundice and by a month old she had cleared it on her own with no problems. My friend also saw this doctor and was pushed around too for the same thing and she fell for it (first time mom) and then failed at breastfeeding, so sad!

flag | Submitted February 7, 2008

Dr. Shamim Islam's Credentials

• Dhaka Med Coll, Dhaka Univ, Bangladesh (704-03 Pr 7/1972) (Grad. 1981)