Ratings for Dr. James L. Males

I felt so uneasy with the exam, had never been to an endocrine doctor that asked me to get undress except for underwear, did not feel comfortable at all with him. Did not go back a 2nd time.

flag | Submitted August 18, 2014

This was a horrible experience for me. At the time I was a new mother, very tired but knew my throat had a large lump I never felt before....my family physician referred me to Dr Males. He did have me undress, but never looked over my body no breast examination so that made me feel more violated. They when I told him my symptoms and what I felt in my throat he proceeded to cut me off. He told me that I was F A T. Now I already knew I was over weight but I was having a hard time staying awake or even functioning so for him to tell me that and not believe I had a enlarged thyroid made me furious. He wanted to prove me wrong so he had me do a ultra sound on my thyroid which showed that it was enlarged and black. Which means it no longer worked and was brought on by having my daughter. ..my autoimmune system killed my thyroid. By far I should have walked out and refuse to pay for someone to be so mean and heartless....just the worse bed side manor ever. But I left upset and feeling ugly.

flag | Submitted July 29, 2014

Dr. Males was very polite and seemed very knowledgable. He explained all test & showed me my u/sound while performing it. Explained what should look like as to how mine looked (Thyroid). Informed me of what my thyroid was diseased with & explained about the disease & how to treat. Yes, I was placed in a robe (which I brought) except for bra/underwear for the 1st visit. He checked my legs, tummy, upper chest, neck, arms... all places he deals w/for immunodefiecency problems. Seemed VERY thorough and polite. I liked him and his staff alot!

flag | Submitted March 29, 2011

I'm 65 & have been to a few drs but never like this. I went to Dr Males for an enlarged thyroid that had ruptured. I was told no one could come with me to the exam room. Once there I was told to get undressed down to my underwear & put on a paper gown. Although the signs on the wall explained why this was necessary, I thought it odd. Dr Males came in alone to begin the exam. He examined my breasts & when he completed the exam, took a quick peek under my underwear! I thought this strange! Furthermore, he diagnosed me with hyperthyroidism & scheduled me for an iodine uptake. When I went to get the uptake, my thyroid wouldn't uptake the iodine. The technician theorized that the inaccurate reading was likely due to the rupture. Dr Males was skeptical. I requested another test & found that my thyroid was normal. I have since found a new doctor who does NOT require you to get undressed or be "physically" examined anywhere other than the area in question. Dr Males needs to retire!

flag | Submitted September 29, 2010

I had the same experience as the others as far as having to undress down to the panties. I was handed a piece of paper and told to read about it if I had any questions but didn't have my reading glasses so was not aware of what was going to happen. I was told to strip down to my panties, provided with a flimsy paper gown that tied at the neck and the doctor then came in with no nurse. I was very uncomfortable with the breast exam and still don't understand the need for it when I was there to have my throat checked on. He was cranky, didn't know anything about the new hormone replacement technology that I am on that has worked wonders for me, and told me it was all crap. He was condesending, arrogant and generally unpleasant. My biggest complaint was the undressing part. I see no need for it. I think I know why the doctor is able to take four new patients a week. Four patients per week are walking out when they find out about the undressing part. No nurse in the room. Strange.

flag | Submitted September 25, 2010

The worst experience with a doctor ever! He didn't even call me to follow up on my initial lab work. He just sent a letter with many typographical errors and spelling errors. The letter also stated that I may well have a condition that could be life threatening. When I called to inquire, I was told he would not be be returning my phone call but would send a letter answering the questions I had. I asked to make an appointment with him to discuss the matter and was told no, because my initial letter said I needed a 3 month follow up and they would not be making an appointment with me before then. He also mailed me prescriptions without explaining what the medication were. The prescriptions were also written incorrectly. He actually wrote out a prescription that was for 4 years (yes -4) worth of medication. I would advise you to run as fast as you can from this physician!

flag | Submitted September 14, 2010

Having been from doctor to doctor it was great to finally go to a doctor that was knowledgeable in his field. I have read the reviews about the "paper gowns" and yes at first it took me by surprise that to get my neck looked at I had to undress. Although Dr. Males was very very professional with me and I never felt uncomfortable especially since he specifically asked me if I was OK with just him in the room. He is very direct and to the point but also very good about explaining everything to me in detail. I would HIGHLY recommend him and I am pretty careful about who I recommend to my friends and family.....

flag | Submitted September 7, 2010

Yesterday he told me that my depression an menstural trouble and tiredness and headaches had NOTHING to do with me being hypothyroid. Really? Everything I've read says those are common symptons of being hypothyroid. Then he prescribed antidepressants, which I was okay with as I have never been this depressed in my entire life and need help, and said that maybe hearing the Cancer word had made me freak out a little and thats why I felt bad since having my thyroidectomy. Its like he's to proud to admitt that it could have anything to do with what he's treating me for. I've tried to give the guy the benefit of doubt, I know he's been working in this field for many many many years and should know what he's talking about but I think its time for me to find a new doctor.

flag | Submitted May 1, 2010

didnt go through with the exam. wanted to look at my breast for a goiter. strange

flag | Submitted February 5, 2010

I understood the relavance of being undressed, as you endocrine system effects your entire body. Abnormalities in the breast, hair on the body, texture of skin are all important indicators of the state of your endocrine system. I was appriciative that the Dr. took the time to look as most Dr.'s I have been to have not. That part of the exam only took about 5 minutes, was professional and I felt perfectly comfortable. I did not find him condesending. I did find him to be an onery old man and a very old school classic doctor. He made sure I got my test results from my biopsy back as soon as possible and was strait forward and too the point about what was wrong and what the options were ( I have cancer) and refered me to a surgeon. I do have to say they could improve the experience by providing more substancial cloth gowns.

flag | Submitted October 29, 2009

Dr. James L. Males's Credentials

• University Of Oklahoma College Of Medicine (Grad. 1966)