Ratings for Dr. Joseph M. Shaeffer

I have been seeing him for 22 years and hope he never retires! Very knowledgeable and keeps current with recent information. When I lost my job and health insurance, he would see me free of charge! I will only ever see him!

flag | Submitted June 14, 2013

The best doctor I've ever had. I prefer going to him over the specialists he sometimes sends me to because he's always the better doctor. Needs new staff, though.

flag | Submitted February 17, 2010

I have been a patient of Dr. Shaeffer for the past 15 yrs. He has never been anything but a good listener and I have never been rushed out of the office. He is extremely knowledgeable, and keeps up with latest developments in family medicine. I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone (age, gender, family status). I suspect that the reviewer of 09/09/09 has a chip on his shoulder---for which there is no known medical treatment.

flag | Submitted October 3, 2009

What a waste of time and money. I didn't get any helpful medical advise, but instead a bunch of irrelevant personal questions with rude judgemental responses. I have never been more frustrated with a doctor. He was closed minded and insulting. A complete waste of time and money. The staff is very nice, but Dr. Shaeffer is offensive.

flag | Submitted September 8, 2009

I usually avoid doctors, but Dr. Schaeffer is one of the nicest and most helpful ones I've ever known. I first visited him about 3-4 years ago. I was in a lot of pain, found his practice in a directory and called them at about 7pm. I was hoping to get an appointment for the morning, but they told me to come over right away and that I shouldn't have to suffer all night. When I got there, he was incredibly nice. Asked me questions, listened to my description of my problem, and then made a diagnosis, which all lab tests ended up confirming. (2 other doctors had failed to diagnose this over the 2 previous years.). In general, he is just very kind, smart and practical. He'll spend 20 minutes with you explaining a procedure and answering questions to calm your fears. He'll tell you what you're going to feel like as the result of a particular surgery or medication. He'll even tell you stories from his own family's experiences. Couldn't ask for a better doctor.

flag | Submitted September 14, 2005

Dr. Joseph M. Shaeffer's Credentials

• GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE (Grad. 1977)