Ratings for Dr. Paul Winston

Dr. Winston is truly amazing. He is thorough but efficient. HIs willingness to explain the various and numerous tests was so helpful. His follow-up and booking appointments for x-rays, an MRI and to a neurosurgeon were so quick it was unbelievable. We feel so fortunate that our family doctor referred us to him. We were unfamiliar with the medical specialty of physiatrist.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2017

I found this Dr to be erratic and somewhat over the top. We began with him being completely dismissive of previous expert diagnosis. I'm not sure where he was or who he was thinking of because his report to my GP bore no resemblance to my examination nor his discussion with me. Had one appointment then I got a referral to another physician...this Dr was too capricious for my liking.

flag | Submitted March 28, 2017

I saw Dr. Winston January 17, 2017 at Victoria General in Victoria BC for a nerve muscle diagnostics test with Dr. Krauss. Both of these Doctors are fantastic both have super good "bedside" manners and both are very clear about what is needed and being done. Great

flag | Submitted January 18, 2017

I had a visit with Dr.Winston with regards to my employment and the issues that I was having trying gain more employment with my employer. his insight did just that for me . I appreciate the fact that he listened to my grievances and agreed with me and agreed that my issues were reasonable . I have resolution finally thanks to his report .

flag | Submitted December 5, 2016

Dr.Winston saw me today and I was so impressed with his his approach to the treatment of my rare disease. I was diagnosed five years ago and this is the first time that a medical practioner has given me some hope for a disease that is incurable. Also present were another medical professional and student. All were so caring. I am grateful for having been referred to Dr. Winston. What made me further optimistic was Dr. winston's offer for further follow-up visits, if required.

flag | Submitted November 24, 2016

Everyone notices the diametrical divergence into two camps here. I am in the "He's wonderful" one. He doesn’t have any time for a particular type of person, I don’t know much about the type except they’re the ones giving him zeros, and yet this doesn’t bring his rating below 4. Makes me smile. Prospective patients must be intrigued and just so. He saw I was referred to a neurosurgeon, and I said “are you sure it’s me and not my MRI that’s referred?” He looked at me, got up from his desk, walked into the hallway of his multi-disciplinary office, and grabbed a neurosurgeon. If I hadn’t been so astonished, I would have laughed. What a totally productive whirlwind he is. And the consult btwn the 2 of them laid fears in that area to rest and closed the surgery subject. If his whole day is comprised of rushing out those he can’t help and squeezing in those of us he can, well, that seems to be working for the 80% of us who are getting kind and tangible care from this quirky, delightful man. As usual, didn’t take him much faster than lightning to see and get moving on my problem. It’s fun to watch a force of nature at work, especially with the intent of getting me moving as well as I used to. I laughed to figure out later that he was talking about the B vitamin biotin and I heard “D”. I said I thought there was only one form of D. He heard “B” and gave me a look. Which I now interpret as “I thought you were knowledgeable and you don’t know there are several B vitamins?” While I’m walking out the door thinking “Biotin, a D vitamin. Hmmm. Why have I never run across this over several years of research into Vitamin D?” (I have MS.) Too funny. That, along with shaking hands with the neurosurgeon (yes, a firm, steady grip), makes too much amusement for just one visit.

flag | Submitted September 8, 2016

Dr. Winston has been our Dr. For years. One of my children has a disability, I have very bad arthritis, my husband a bad back, and another daughter who dances. He is down to earth, fun, panics when needed, but mostly reassures. He constantly plays down bad news or xrays with bad news. He is such an optimist. I have sat with literally a hundred people in the waiting room at the hospital and his office over the years. I have no idea how he could be called arrogant. I can only guess that he tells people that they should be okay and be able to do everything, as boy does he keep us all as fit as we can be. I feel sorry for the parent of the teenager below. Perhaps you should simply go for a follow up and say you are unhappy. I always call for one when we need it and he is always welcoming. In our health care system I have learned you must be your own best advocate.

flag | Submitted June 18, 2016

A physio who was treating our teenager for debilitating pain had recommended Dr. Winston and so when our GP and orthopedic specialist suggested seeing a physiatrist, we pushed to get him. Big mistake! He was dismissive, rude, and arrogant. Our tough-as-nails athletic kid left in tears because of his attitude.... and, even worse, came away feeling at fault for being in pain. Dr. Winston referred us to another specialist, said he'd keep in touch on the findings and followup... and that was it. He's never been heard from again. So very disappointed!

Submitted June 15, 2016

I was referred to Dr Winston for nerve pain diagnosis. I was a little apprehensive considering his 3 star average here. I was pleasantly surprised. Dr Winston was friendly, has excellent bedside manner and a good sense of humour. He was thorough yet efficient. During my visit he had a medical student with him who was also excellent.

flag | Submitted June 14, 2016

Dr Winston was amazing. He did a thorough assessment and after eliminating what others thought might be the source of my pain, was able to identify where in my back and hip needed help. He reassured me that my discomfort and pain were soft tissue related,rather than degenerative bone related. And soft tissue injuries are fairly amenable to recovery. He also generously suggested RMTs and osteopaths both in my home town and in Victoria that I could see to help me. He is a gem.

flag | Submitted February 18, 2016