Ratings for Dr. John P. Gearhart

We were referred to Dr. Gearhart for my son who was 4 at the time because he could not gain continence and the doctor we had been seeing felt it was due to an enlarged gap in his pubic bones. He was also diagnosed with spina bifida occulta, which can increase the risk of a tethered spinal cord, prior to being seen by Dr. Gearhart. From the moment Dr. Gearhart walked into the exam room, he acted as if we were just wasting his time being there. He put down the doctor we had been seeing for running too many tests. He did not interact with my child at all other than to examine him, and the entire time he was examining him, he spoke to me, not to my child. When I mentioned whether there could possibly be a tethered cord, he wanted my son who was lying on the exam table with his pants down to turn away from him toward the wall. When my son resisted because he was uncomfortable with the atmosphere in the room, Dr. Gearhart threw his hands in the air, looked at me and said "I don't care what you have to do, but that kid needs to turn toward the wall." He ran a pen tip up the back of my sons thigh and when his muscles contracted because he felt the pen, Dr. Gearhart said that he couldn't possibly have a tethered spinal cord. He decided that the only thing wrong with my son was that he was constipated and had "busy boy bladder" and didn't want to stop what he was doing to use the bathroom. After another year of treatment with his original urologist and his incontinence issues worsening, I pushed for an MRI to rule out the tethered cord. Turns out my son did have a tethered cord and as a result of delayed diagnosis now deals with a neurogenic bladder and bowel which requires ongoing treatment. Needless to say, I was appalled at this pediatric specialists bedside manner. We saw him one time and that was more than enough for me.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2016

I was born with bladder exstrophy and have been Dr G patient for over 17 years since I was a week old. I've had every surgery by him and he does a great job. If I need anything I can email him and he will get back within hour or so sometimes less. He knows so much about BE compared to other urologists. He knows exactly what he is doing.

flag | Submitted July 29, 2013

Best Doctor I could ever ask for! We were sent to Hopkins after my son was born with exstrophy, spina bifida, and several other defects. Dr. Gearhart was the first one to put my mind at ease. We have been through probably 37 surgeries between 9 different departments, and Dr. G is my absolute favorite! He has gone out of his way to accomodate us numerous times, and yes you might have to wait a few minutes but it is well worth the wait.

flag | Submitted December 13, 2012

His staff is about average being part of a big hospital, and he is definitely overbooked for the same reason. He is a brilliant doctor, who clearly knows his stuff, but his bedside manner leaves a lot to be desired. Thank goodness he had a personable resident/intern with him at the time. He is one of the best at doing what he does, but the experience is not the best.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2011

Terribly unhappy. Dr. G did the follow up to our son's surgery, and treated him like a piece of meat. Ripped off bandages without any regard to his pain, and did not allow any follow up questions. He will never touch our son again!

flag | Submitted June 2, 2011

Seriously overbooks patients-wait is forever! Office staff has frustration of dealing with over bookings.

flag | Submitted June 26, 2009

We drive 11 hours so that our child can see Dr. G. He is an excellent surgeon, and as in our daughter's case, he frequently sees children whose treatment elsewhere has not been successful. He is the best.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2008

Dr Gearhart is like part of the family. He has taken care of my son since he was 2 1/2, he is now 17. If not for his care, concern and knowledge my son would not be able to live a normal life. He has always taken the time to help us understand each and every stage of surgery and steps that my son needed to get to the point he is at. We drive 7 hours to see him and I would gladly drive it as many times as necessary for his care and concern for our son and family. I can only rate him at a 5 since that is as high as this will let me but if I was able he would be rated by me as much higher. I don't feel numbers do justice for the amazing time and concern he has for his patients and there family.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2008

He's super. He helped my son from age 2 to age 7, and never steered us wrong. He is excellent - a leader in pediatric urology. I'd never let anyone else operate on that part of my sons! He is always teaching Hopkins students, and has a booming personality. You can't help but to appreciate him and his amazing skill.

flag | Submitted March 25, 2008

I've been his patient since I was 2 months old--and I'm now approaching 23. He's the reason I want to go into healthcare as a career! I was born with a disability and have had a lot of bad experience with doctors, but Dr. G is the doctor I actually look forward to visiting. He is absolutely the best in the field, and extremely personable. Even though he's pediatrics, I refuse to move to an "adult doctor" as I'll never find one as great as Dr. John Gearhart!

flag | Submitted February 14, 2008

Dr. John P. Gearhart's Credentials

• University Of Louisville School Of Medicine (Grad. 1975)

Kaiser-Permanente