Ratings for Dr. Drew Tortoriello

I’ve spent approximately 9 months going over the words in my mind that could somehow express our appreciation for Dr. Tortoriello and the entire staff at Sher Institute. I have yet to find those words. When my husband and I found out that I was pregnant after several failed attempts I simply could not believe it. As tell tale signs of life emerged, I thought reality would hit, but it didn’t. It hasn’t. I am still in awe and disbelief that there will be a baby here in about a week’s time. Each and every day I think back to our experiences at Dr. T's office- being greeted by first name, all of the nurses asking how I was doing, attention and care to every question I posed. There was nothing easy about the process of IVF, yet Dr. T and his staff somehow made everything easy for us. When I emailed, called, cried, wondered, and at times lost hope, every single inquiry was met with an honest and calm answer (and a quick answer, at that!). Even when the answer wasn’t clear cut or definite, there was certainty that we had options and hadn’t exhausted nearly all possibilities. Dr. T never let me get ahead of myself. I so appreciated his composed and serene demeanor, which was perfectly balanced with a quiet confidence that he exuded at all times. That allowed me to also be confident in the treatment and in the process and trust that I was in excellent hands. As I have now spoken to many others who have taken a similar path with infertility, it has become even more evident that the care and expertise I received at Sher could not possibly have been matched anywhere else. Dr. T has given me newfound appreciation for the art of medicine and set a new bar for the honest compassion with which every doctor should approach his or her patients.

flag | Submitted May 26, 2016

I highly recommend Dr. T and his staff. He's been so honest and responsive thoughout this journey. He is always available over email and his staff treats you like family. Dr. T is so professional; appointments are on time; he's very caring and extremely knowledgable in this space. He has helped us make a dream come true and will for you. Best of luck.

flag | Submitted May 11, 2016

Dr. T was so professional and caring. He answered all my questions and he even responded to my emails! He was honest and helped my husband and myself make our baby dreams become a reality. Thank you Dr. T!

flag | Submitted May 4, 2016

Thank you for helping me reach my dream to give my son a sister...I cant say enough goo dthings about Dr. T and his team especailly Leslie and Francis their very sweet to me.

flag | Submitted April 28, 2016

I am sorry to ruin the stellar rating but I do not seem to agree with previous reviewers. Dr T seemed pretty cold to me, he couldnt wait to operate on me for no reason. When I gave him my reasoning for not wanting surgery he claimed he understood but he face never changed, I didnt find a glimpse of compassion when I started crying after he asked me how long we have been trying for. Front desk girl was just as robotic, no compassion, pretty nasty. I did not feel warm and fuzzy in that office. When I went ahead and sent dr T an email about something that needed some encouragement, his answer was thanks for letting me know. Colder than that he would have been frozen.

Submitted April 25, 2016

I highly recommend Dr. Tortoriello. After two years of unsuccessful treatments in DC, I traveled to New York for an appointment with Dr. T. He took his time with me, answered my questions, presented me with different testing options and treatments based on the outcomes of those tests. He has a caring and patient demeanor, which is so important when working with couples that are feeling anxious and scared that they may never have children. I never felt rushed, he answered all my questions in a way that I could understand. The office staff is caring, helpful and made me feel like I had a group of cheerleaders behind me throughout my treatment. Other doctors suggested that a sperm donor or surrogate were our only options - Dr. T disagreed. After my first embryo transfer with Dr. Tortoriello, I finally got my positive pregnancy test. I now I have beautiful daughter. I cannot thank Dr. T enough!

flag | Submitted October 22, 2015

I can't recommend Dr. T enough. We came to him after many years of unsuccessfully trying for the baby. He ran tests, gave us options. I went for the 2nd opinion, where doctor pushed for a surgery. I went back to Dr. T, who assured me it was not necessary. And it wasn't! After 1 round, we got the best gift ever - our beautiful daughter! Dr. T was always available over e-mail, his staff is caring, he has a great personality. He's no nonsense and very knowledgeable! The office is never too busy, the wait is never too long. I can go on and on. The bottom line- I highly recommend Dr. T! Good luck!

flag | Submitted October 14, 2015

I am not one for writing reviews or testimonials, but we are not talking about widgets here... If you're reading this, you're likely embarking on, or perhaps already in the midst of, one of the most important decisions of your life - who will you trust to help you bring life into this world... Simply put, if you are in the New York area, or can get there, I don't know why anyone would not select, and entrust, Dr. Drew Tortoriello ("Dr. T") at SIRM with this most critical effort. We started at Cornell and were diagnosed with MFI and DOR. While Dr. X at Cornell was nice enough, and certainly competent, I believe he was - and therefore we were - constrained by the volume-based approach at Cornell... All one has to do is compare the waiting rooms at Cornell and SIRM on any given morning to get a sense of the difference... Btw, the flexibility of scheduling at SIRM vs the 6am "cattle-call" at Cornell alone would be, in my opinion, worth leaning towards SIRM if all else was equal, but all else was far from equal.... The volume itself is not the main issue. It's the fact that the SIRM model allows for much more individual attention and flexibility in course of treatment. This is particularly critical in challenging cases (like ours) where, I believe, it can make the difference between a successful or unsuccessful pregnancy... After seven retrievals and three unsuccessful transfer attempts at Cornell, there was nothing really new being considered. The old adage - if you keep repeating the same thing and expecting different results - came to mind..... That's why we decided to meet w Dr. T. From the get-go, we could see, and feel, that Dr. T was much different. His patience was virtually unending and his manner confident yet measured. He was "grilled" by both of us for well over an hour in his office about what he would do differently and why, and he responded to every follow-up email after the meeting promptly (as he would do throughout his care of us). And this was all before we even signed up with SIRM... He clearly spent signicant time and gave much thought to our specific situation. While he didn't really disagree with the Cornell protocol, he identified several significant tests and procedures he wanted to do that Cornell would not, including seeing if our embryos were making it to blast, conducting testing for DQ matching and natural killer cell testing. Dr. T ended up identifying several additional challenging conditions that, I'm certain, would not have been revealed at Cornell, and which I believe impacted our prior efforts to get pregnant. From two retrievals we got two blasts which were banked (Cornell was not willIng to allow us to go to blast). Dr. T's embryologist, Dr. Raifa Zody, spent 3 hours selecting the best sperm on 2 occasions. There is simply no way, in my opinion, that would've been done at Cornell given the time constraints of their volume. Dr T. then identified a lining receptivity issue that was treated for 3 months through inducing premature menopause. Finally, after more than 7 months of following Dr. T's meticulous approach, it was time for a transfer. Two weeks later, the feeling of finally seeing that faint second line on an EPT after almost 2 years of trying is indescribable. When the positive beta, albeit low, was confirmed by Dr. T, he remained, true to form, cautiously optimistic. We are now at 18weeks. I have no doubt that had we stayed at Cornell, we would not be where we are today. I don't know what more can be said, but that we owe it all to Dr. T and his team at SIRM.... I don't know why anyone would go anywhere else...

flag | Submitted October 11, 2015

I highly recommend Dr. Tortoriello and his team at Sher Institute. He is patient and helpful and was extremely knowledgeable in answering my questions and in his approach to my treatment. After following up with my nurse after my first appointment, I was really impressed to find out that Dr. T had been reviewing his notes about my visit after our appointment. Right then, I could tell that he is not the kind of doctor who is done with the patient until the next visit. He wants success for you just as much as you want it. He promptly responded to emails, including one I had sent while he was out of his office on vacation. In addition, the nurses were all very caring and helpful. They returned calls and emails promptly and guided me through the cycle every step of the way. As it turned out, after one cycle, we are pregnant with twins!

flag | Submitted September 16, 2015

After a couple of recommendations from colleagues, I switched from Columbia's CWRC to Sher Institute to see Dr. Tortoriello. Hands down the best decision of my life. He is extremely knowledgeable, approachable and so incredibly kind. I had poor response to stims and I liked his gentle approach of less is more since more wasn't helping at all. After 3 IVFs, I am now successfully pregnant at 18 weeks with my first child at the age of 43. The amount of gratitude I have for him and his team cannot be measured. I wish all infertility patients could experience what I did with Dr T. He is the most caring doctor ever and I can't recommend him enough. He makes miracles happen!

Submitted July 29, 2015