Ratings for Dr. Newman W. Harter

I have been seeing Dr Harter since 1979 and he has been an excellent Doctor. The only problem I have with him is the prescriptions he gives are pricey he should give more generic drug prescriptions. We just can't afford high price drugs and our insurance won't cover them.

flag | Submitted August 14, 2017

I have been going to Dr.Harter for a very long time. My parents have also been going for a long long time. You might have to wait a long time but when you walk out you know whats wrong with you. His nurses are also very nice. He is very helpful and knowledge of thingd. Dont know what we will do if he every decide to step down.

flag | Submitted May 1, 2017

I became a patient when Dr. Harter had a private solo practice in the '70s. If it wasn't for Dr. Harter I wouldn't be alive today. In the past five years or so, his patient load is taking its toll as he seems to be carrying the largest patient population in the practice. Insurance companies take reliable drugs that he prescribes off their formulary which require newer, cheaper, experimental drugs left to prescribe. He is quick to change or drop a prescription that causes labs to skew. There are some very critical areas that Dr. Harter prefers to treat that should be referred to a specialist since he seems to error on the "safe side" which is not always the best treatment plan. Over all, Dr. Harter is reserved, knowledgeable and cautious when treating his patients.

flag | Submitted November 28, 2016

I agree with most of the posts as far as his bedside manner is concerned. That being said, I would have to disagree with his drug knowledge and choices. I would also have to disagree with his desire to continue the best therapy for the patient. He has made some Judgments which lead to adverse events which should have been prevented. If he simply followed the guidelines for some of the treatments that he prescribed many of these mistakes would be avoided. I also think he has a limited judgment on pharmacological choices as he seems to pick the newest drugs. These drugs have the least data on safety and adverse events and are not always the best choice.

flag | Submitted November 12, 2012

The best doctor you'll ever find. Very knowledgeable and friendly. You may have to wait an hour to be seen, but it is well worth the wait. If he can't fix it..it can't be fixed! LOVE HIM! :))

flag | Submitted June 28, 2010

he is very compassionate. he's also an excellent doctor who is very knowledgable. he's found several things wrong with me that other doctors either didn't take the time to find or mis-diagnosed. it may take him a little while to get in the exam room but it's because he takes adequate time with each patient to listen to their concerns and provide a solution to their problems. he also has a wonderful staff. my husban is a long-time patient, and i've only been going to him for about a year, but have never had a bad experience.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2010

Dr. Harter has the knowledge of many specialists in one. I have rated him excellent because, at the age of 71, I feel I have seen and had access to very many practicing physicians to make a good solid judgement. My husband and I have been patients of Dr. Harter for several years. His ability has been tested many times and I am in awe of his knowledge of the practice as well as sharing with his patients the information they need to take care of themselves. I also think he stays abreast of and understands the use of the best drugs on the market for each individual. I thank God that we have been so fortunate to have this good doctor working for us.

flag | Submitted September 30, 2008

Dr Harter is very knowledgeable and has an excellent"bedside manor". You are treated as a human being and not like "i" realy too busy for this". I leave his off ice with a positive feeling.

flag | Submitted September 12, 2006

YOU MIGHT NOT GET TO SEE THE DR, AT THE TIME OF YOUR APPOINTMENT BUT IT IS BECAUSE THIS DR. WILL TAKE HIS TIME WITH YOU AND HEAR WHAT YOU HAVE GOT TO SAY. HE IS VERRY KNOWLEDGEABLE AND KEEPS UP TO DATE ON THINGS . HE SHOWS A INTREST IN YOU AND WILL GET BACK TO YOU IF YOU PUT A CALL IN TO HIS OFFICE. THE ONLY BAD THING IS HE DOES NOT MAKE HOSPITAL CALLS OTHERS DOCTORS WITH THE PRIMARY CARE ASSOCIATES DO THAT BUT HE WILL MONITOR YOU TREATMENT IN THE HOSPITAL

flag | Submitted September 13, 2005

Dr. Newman W. Harter's Credentials

• Medical University Of South Carolina College Of Medicine (Grad. 1971)

UnitedHealthcare