Ratings for Dr. Steven Shoemaker

Two other, highly qualified podiatrists told me Dr. Shoemaker had "mangled" my foot with his surgery. He seemed shocked when I rejected his third surgery. The wait of always more than one hour combined with his error-filled accounting, outsourced and always to his advantage, should have been a red flag of his cavalier attitude towards patients. As an MD's daughter, I should have known better than to stay with this "foot surgery mill." He even neglected to order an EKG before my surgery. The, very shocked, anesthesiologist did one! That error could have been life- threatening and shows his poor judgment and inability to practice medicine. My "reconstruction specialist" podiatrist with Sutter was fortunately able to operate and restore my ability to walk, but had to insert a titanium plate and screws! I thought seriously about suing Dr Shoemaker, but my legal training and my attorney know there is a "blame the victim" mentality in the courts. As I have pain every day, and will for the rest of my life, I still feel he owes me monetary compensation for damages due to his errors. He is quite the dresser and interested much more in money maker than patient care, I would advise others to, at the very least, get one or two more opinions before allowing him to perform surgery. Sadly, for whatever reasons, he was not qualified to perform the surgery he did on me.

flag | Submitted May 22, 2017

Thank you Dr. Shoemaker for urgently seeing my mother and saving her foot. We had no idea such a small problem could cause such a big deal! She is up and walking again and pleased.

flag | Submitted April 26, 2017

I definitely do NOT recommend Dr. Shoemaker. Although he was a preferred provider for my insurance, he ignored the negotiated rates and expected me to cover the difference in what he feels should be charged for the office visit and an orthotic. The 2nd expensive orthotic he made for me was faulty and he first offered to sell me another orthotic and then said I can come back for another paid office visit so he can fix the orthotic. Do not be deceived by Dr. Shoemaker’s friendly demeaner, he is just out to make a lot of money at his patient’s expense. He sees 40 patients a day, so don’t expect too much quality time with him.

Submitted February 27, 2017

I am very pleased with the results of my Plantar Fascia pain. My heels were hurting so bad every day. I had trouble walking in the morning. After seeing Dr. Shoemaker I was informed that I had severe Plantar Fascitis, I started on his EPAT and laser treatment and am thrilled with the results. I just want to say how grateful I am that he took the time to inform me of my problem and gave me different options on treatment plans.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2013

Terrible results from bunionectomy. Bone cut and reset with screws too long. 2nd surgery to remove screws that were felt coming through the bone and under the skin on the bottom of my foot. Bone not set to fit back into the big toe joint...now only 20% mobility. I'm now seeing another doctor to have a 3rd surgery to correct. I can't walk for more that 5 minutes without extreme pain 4 years after the surgery...and getting much worse now by the day.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2013

I went in to see Steven Shoemaker for a foot problem and was completely disturbed when I noticed that his fingernails were a quarter of an inch long! I would never let anyone perform surgery on me that does not keep their hands neat and clean. It was a red flag for me that he does not pay attention to detail. If he doesn't take care of himself, how can you trust him to take care of you?

flag | Submitted June 6, 2012

I went in for a minor bunion surgery and ended up with a major foot deformity. It was so severely over-corrected that I cant fit my toe in a shoe. Only uggs or flip flops. Its very humiliating to have everyone stare at my foot because it looks like a "PEACE-OUT" sign. When I went back he said to give it time and recommended orthodics. I did. That did not work. I went back and he stopped excepting medi-cal. So he refused to fix it. I said it was painful and he said he could give me a shot for $35.00. I've lived with it for 10 years and am finally able to afford insurance. I will not be going to this Doctor....

flag | Submitted October 25, 2011

Dr. Shoemaker is a very friendly and helpful doctor. I didn't feel rushed, he wanted me to assure him he answered all my questions, and while he recommended a $500 orthotic, he said there are over the counter shoe inserts I could try first and I felt no pressure to go for the more expensive option. His P.A. (Dave) and his staff were all very friendly and helpful and his office is clean and attractive.

flag | Submitted April 28, 2009