Ratings for Dr. Joel Cook

He is the absolute best! He removed golf ball size basal cell from under my eye. His staff is wonderful and caring. I wish all drs at musc were as nice!!!! I would recommend him to everyone. A gentle and kind soul! Thank you, Dr. Cook.

flag | Submitted February 20, 2016

He is the ONLY one I would trust with my face. When it come to any kind of recunstruction, sutures etc. , a plastic surgeon could not do a better job - people come from all over the South for his skills. Jennifer Oidtman

flag | Submitted February 9, 2016

I really was impressed with everything . They acommadate you with everything that you need.It is like going to 5 star hotel except you are having surgery.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2015

I just had a MOHS procedure on my face - above my lip. Not fun. I was very pleased with Dr Cook - he was confident, communicative and extremely good at what he does. His staff were great and made me feel like I was in good hands. Advice to others - don't be afraid to ask for valium to help you through this. :)

flag | Submitted February 19, 2015

I wish I had heeded the words of my mother and father who both indicated that this doctor wasn't very kind. He acted like a jerk, to be blunt. The first thing he asked me was "What kind of work do you do?" and before I could even answer him fully, "because you have really crappy insurance." Which he repeated a few more times after that. He didn't take the time to listen to any of my concerns, passed off everything I had to say with a wave of his hand, and really made me feel like I was wasting his time and that I simply didn't matter. After reading the reviews here, he's either writing them himself, or these people are related to him, OR it could just be that he only treats patients kindly if they have the "good" insurance. He has one particular nurse, Wanda, who was EXTREMELY kind and could see how he humiliated me, so she treated me with more compassion. When I can afford the "good" insurance, I surely won't be taking my business his way. I found him to be quite rude, callous, and uncaring, and obviously more concerned with the monetary payout than with taking care of people with any sort of genuine sincerity. Sorry I can't afford the "good" insurance, Dr., I'm doing the best I can right now. Just because you have qualms with insurance companies, you really shouldn't take it out on the patients.

flag | Submitted November 25, 2014

I've had 3 Mohs surgeries done by Dr. Cook and have another coming up in 6 weeks. I've found him efficient, caring and amazingly talented. One of my basal cell cancers seemed small, but he said it was "nasty," with tentacles going deep and wide under the skin. I ended up having to have a flap done, lost half my eyebrow but the scar is barely noticeable. More recently, I had lip cancer, and he had to remove 2/3 of my lower lip. Reconstruction was complex and lengthy. Some friends wondered whether I should see a plastic surgeon, but I read up on surgical reconstruction for excisions such as mine, and Dr. Cook did what any plastic surgeon would have done -- but better, because skin cancer removal and reconstruction is his specialty. As with other patients, he also called the next day to check on me. Every time, there are people in the waiting room who have come from Georgia and all over SC to see him. Wonder why he graduated only #2 in his class? His twin brother was #1, and is doing the exact thing at Duke.

flag | Submitted August 26, 2014

I went to him for over ten years. He seems to have lost his care and touch. He missed dianoused a bassal and squamouse cell for over a year. Luckly for me, an intern demanded a biopsy. It took Dr. Cook five times before he removed all the cancer and left me with a horrible scar.

flag | Submitted January 16, 2014

Wow. I had a basal cell cancer on my face (left side of nose), Dr. Cook and staff are exceptional. I have never seen an office and surgical suite as organized in my life. Extremely professional staff, not cold, but sweet, helpful and nice. Ruthie up front is the first person you meet, she has a wonderful smile that puts you right at ease. Dr. Cook IS the best, so if you need MOHs he (or someone he has trained) is who you want as your MD. He even calls the next day to check on you. As busy as he is, he takes the personal time to check on you-that means a lot-it means he cares and he is excellent.

flag | Submitted August 29, 2013

Dr Cook and his staff are super!I had 3 morhs surguries in the past 6 months and the results are amazing! I had a tumor grow quickly over my right eye. I was referred to Dr Cook and he removed the tumor which was beginning to grow behind my eye. You can hardly tell he did a skin graft from my chest to fill the large area he had to remove. He also removed a large tumor that grew at the base of my left ear. Another local dermatologist had biopsied tissue earlier but told me she could not treat me til I had other insurance. Dr Cook removed my ear canal and rebuilt it which great skill and caring. He also removed a very large tumor at the base of my neck that looked like a scratch,but upon further investigation was VERY large and dangerously close to my carotid artery. Each surgery was frightening and painful,but Dr Cook and his staff did everything possible to ease both my fears and pain.I traveled 3 hours to see him and it was worth every minute! The staff and Dr Cook are the BEST !

flag | Submitted March 8, 2013

This doctor was uncaring toward me. In his haste I will always have nerve damage to my face. I would not recommend him

flag | Submitted September 5, 2012