Ratings for Dr. James Dooner

Dr. Dooner's talent, expertise, patience, and care were a bright spot in an otherwise very dark time for me. He performed a vitrectomy and scleral buckle surgery to repair a retinal detachment in my one remaining eye. The surgery was done skillfully and the recovery was managed with great care. He was patient, answered questions, and actively worked to make the recovery as painless (physically and emotionally) as possible.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2014

He saved my vision after a retinal detachment caused near total vision loss. He was always kind and took time to answer all my questions. He told me what to expect which took away much of my anxiety. He is also a gifted surgeon.

flag | Submitted February 25, 2010

Doonan seems like a knowledgable guy. His staff is very good. I could do with a little less attitude. He sort of struts in like a CEO after his assistants do most of the work. Not a great listener. For someone to evaluate tests and make a decision, he's probably very good. If the task requires obtaining information from the patient and making a decision, I'd not recommend him.

flag | Submitted June 13, 2009

Non-communicative. Gave me very little information about my condition or the prognosis for my vision. Responses to my questions were generally pessimistic or abusive. For example, I once asked him about the scheduling of treatment for my condition. He returned a question: "What's the matter don't you want another X (potentially blinding condition)?" Usually angry (in an abusive manner). For example, he spent most of one visit angrily screaming at me, for no reason. Delighted at his own attempts to scare/intimidate patients, he delivered the worst possible news with a laugh or at least a grin. Unnecessary touching: he unnecessarily touched me on least four occasions, when he had already established a hostile atmosphere.

flag | Submitted December 6, 2008

Several years ago, had retinal detachment & he performed surgery. Was left with blind spot in eye nowhere near the detachment. When asked questions about this (and other lingering issues), he got angry and non-communicative. To this day, I wonder if something went wrong with the surgery and wish I could ask him honestly what happened.

flag | Submitted September 18, 2005