Ratings for Dr. J W Scott Wallace

After reading the reviews on this page I have to wonder what the other reviewers expect out of a psychiatrist, Usually they are diagnosticians and determine if meds are appropriate. They generally don't provide therapy. There are psychologists and therapists at the practice for that. I can't praise Dr. Wallace enough. He has pointed me toward therapy when it was needed and prescribed meds very carefully. His appointment s are typically 15 minutes, save maybe the initial one. Remember, medication will only work if taken as prescribed. He gets 5 stars from me! The office staff couldn't be any nicer!

flag | Submitted July 11, 2017

Dr. Wallace didn't listen to a word I said, he asked me a series of basic questions and 5 minutes later gave me a diagnosis that no one could figure out in 15 minutes. I expressed I didn't want medicine but yet "that was the only answer" he said. Just funny that the medication he prescribed just happens to be $1,000 a month, very interesting coorelation.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2016

flag | Submitted June 10, 2014

flag | Submitted July 1, 2012

Terrible experience - and I saw him for 24+ months. I didn't realize how incompetent he wad until I saw several other doctors. I was probably misdiagnosed and prescribed unnecessary or inappropriate drugs. He diagnosed my condition in about 15 minutes based upon my responses to a social worker who was filling out yes/no responses to a standard questionaire - and who clearly didn't understand all of the questions. Issues were usually addressed by adding additional drugs without discontinuing others. I complained of low libido and instead of looking at the posdible effects of the drugs I was taking and considering alternatives, he said I needed to discuss the matter with the social worker. Freaked out when I started crying in his office one day. Most disturbing is that several medical professionals have implied that they are aware that he is not particularly competent - yet no one will do anything since according to licensing standards, he is at least minimally competent.

flag | Submitted June 19, 2012

He is strictly a psychopharmacologist. I suggested he prescribe a new course of treatment but he refused, saying he didn't know enough about it, even though i had been mentioning it as a possibility for several previous visits. I had printed out a scholarly article on its use and he said he had never seen it before though i had no trouble finding it on the internet. It was obvious he had done no serious research on his own. No empathy whatsoever.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2011

I was made to feel uncomfortable. I found no rapport or comfort level with this doctor. My questions were not adequately answered. I felt like I was rushed in and out like cattle. Never would I recommend this physician to any other and regret any visit to him..A very unprofessional experience that was unsettling to me....

flag | Submitted April 14, 2011

Having many years experience as a psychiatric clinician as well as a patient, I did not find Dr. Wallace to be engaging, nor was he helpful in terms of his feedback and responses during our conversations. Most of the time, the best he could do was "I understand." Any competent clinician can tell you this is not a particularly helpful or thought provoking response. I also found Dr. Wallace not responsive to my medication discussions. I believe his conception of my symptoms was not accurate . Also, several other pschiatrists I have seen over the years have all prescribed a particular type of medication. Dr. Wallace would not. I was willing to try it without that medication, but when that wasn't helping, he wasn't willing to try represcribing it. As a clinician, I've worked with many psychiatrists over the years. I do not consider Dr. Wallace one of the more effective ones in that group.

flag | Submitted November 8, 2010

Did not listen to me about medications,I had to ask Dr. Wallace to please look at me when I talked to him. He was never interested in what I had to say,Five minute visits

flag | Submitted August 31, 2010

I saw Dr. Wallace a number of years ago, after being recently diagnosed with major depressive disorder. Dr. Wallace never ONCE asked me if I was feeling suicidal/having suicidal thoughts, but he jumped very quickly to recommending ECT when the first course of medication he tried didn't work very well, and seemed offended when I wasn't all that receptive to the idea. I requested that I be switched to a different doctor within his practice, and neither he nor his nurse would respond to my calls - I was on a high dose of Paxil and had no refills, and ended up having to go to my GP so I wouldn't have to go cold turkey off the Paxil. I wouldn't recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted April 17, 2008

Dr. J W Scott Wallace's Credentials

• Wv Univ Sch Of Med, Morgantown Wv 26506 (Grad. 1983)