Ratings for Dr. James Hickman

I was one of Dr. Hickman's first patients many years ago and even as he started his practice he offered great services and care. Since that time, my daughter has been a patient, the three children next door, as well as my two nieces. All have benefitted from conscientious and expert treatment.

flag | Submitted May 30, 2017

the one star May 4, 2017, comment was posted against the wrong doctor. here by retracting it.

flag | Submitted May 26, 2017

Incompetence Galore: Two courses of orthodoncy on my daughter starting at age 5, over 8 years, and he ruined my daughter's jaws.

Submitted May 4, 2017

We had two girls go thru the full orthodontic treatment. Professionally run office, flexible, scheduling, accommodating staff. Visited this office regularly for the last five years. I cannot say I have seen a better run practice than this one. AS for them not being open Fridays, the staff has the benefit of working four days. who would not want to work just four days a week.

flag | Submitted April 20, 2017

Worst office and orthodontist by far. They aren't open Friday's. They don't take appointments past 3pm. They make appointments for braces very 2 months. Anyone who has had braces knows you need to go once a month. And then after the first year or so you go every two weeks to get them tightened. My son has had braces for four years. FOUR YEARS. He is 20. There is NO reason for that, but with appointments spaced apart so long what do you expect?? I had my braces put on by a different ortho at the same time as him and had them off in a year and a half and my teeth were twice as bad as his. I also paid 1800$ less Awful. Save your time and your money. I wish I had known he sucked and my ortho was 1000% better. Seriously save your money and the headaches.

flag | Submitted September 16, 2016

The estimate of the timeline was very off. A lot of people have this experience. Expect to have your braces on for 1.5-2 times longer than expected. Other than this, the service is absolutely perfect. The office is very comfortable and the staff are nice. Most importantly, Dr.Hickman's work will leave your teeth flawless. Speaking from my own personal experience and that of many other friends and colleagues, there is no other orthodontist in Ottawa that will provide you with this level of quality results. You will be provided with pictures and equipment to care for your braces, and any concerns you have will be addressed to your satisfaction. I would recommend him to anyone!

flag | Submitted August 31, 2016

I saw Dr. Hickman 30 years ago. I recall him saying that my case was routine. The braces would be off in 12-18 months. It turned out to be 18 months, but my teeth look great to this day! At the time, I was one of the few adults getting braces. I was surrounded by kids at every appointment. The staff was great. I remember Darlene, who worked in the office was always pleasant. all the hygienists were kind and I was their happiest and most demonstrative patients when the braces finally came off. I still have my retainer and it still fits! So thank you Dr. Hickman !

flag | Submitted August 21, 2016

I started my orthodontic treatment done by Dr. Hickman when I was in grade 6 (I remember the day quite clearly). Now that I'm 31 the results still look great! It was a great experience and I would recommend his office to anyone.

flag | Submitted August 15, 2016

He does not wear a mask when he is doing his work. I thought all dentists were supposed to wear masks over their mouths when doing work? I guess he doesnt. It's gross how he doesnt cover his mouth. Everytime I go in for an appointment, nothing gets done. He will look in my mouth for one minute, then pause, sit up, and talk about his whole life history. He will talk and talk about his whole life history and his sons life. Not to be rude, but I really do not care at all. Just stick to the work. It gets really frustrating to have to come in for appointments, only to be called in late, go in and sit in the chair, and wait for another 30 to 40 minutes. It is a waste of my time. I will be sitting in the chair, and finally hickman will come to me. Then he will look in my mouth for like a minute, then he will stop, sit up and start talking about himself. Such a waste of time, and so frustrating.

flag | Submitted June 29, 2016

He's ok. He did my braces 16 years ago and my teeth moved really fast - about 18months. I remember the staff were not very nice. One lady dropped a bracket down my throat while she worked on me. I have both lingual bars in back of my front teeth. One broke a couple years ago. I called to get it fixed and they gave me an appt. 6 weeks later. I told them I needed it sooner because my teeth move so fast. The receptionist didn't believe me and told me I had to wait. Guess what? My teeth shifted and now I have a gap again. They told me I could go back in braces, but really, this is there fault, so..

flag | Submitted October 13, 2015