Ratings for Dr. James Hickman

He does not wear a mask when he is doing his work. I thought all dentists were supposed to wear masks over their mouths when doing work? I guess he doesnt. It's gross how he doesnt cover his mouth. Everytime I go in for an appointment, nothing gets done. He will look in my mouth for one minute, then pause, sit up, and talk about his whole life history. He will talk and talk about his whole life history and his sons life. Not to be rude, but I really do not care at all. Just stick to the work. It gets really frustrating to have to come in for appointments, only to be called in late, go in and sit in the chair, and wait for another 30 to 40 minutes. It is a waste of my time. I will be sitting in the chair, and finally hickman will come to me. Then he will look in my mouth for like a minute, then he will stop, sit up and start talking about himself. Such a waste of time, and so frustrating.

flag | Submitted June 29, 2016

He's ok. He did my braces 16 years ago and my teeth moved really fast - about 18months. I remember the staff were not very nice. One lady dropped a bracket down my throat while she worked on me. I have both lingual bars in back of my front teeth. One broke a couple years ago. I called to get it fixed and they gave me an appt. 6 weeks later. I told them I needed it sooner because my teeth move so fast. The receptionist didn't believe me and told me I had to wait. Guess what? My teeth shifted and now I have a gap again. They told me I could go back in braces, but really, this is there fault, so..

flag | Submitted October 13, 2015

The staff is rude. He does not communicate well, and rarely addresses your concerns. Things need to be redone routinely because different staff work on your child's braces at each visit. I could elaborate more but I would rather just advise you to stay away.

flag | Submitted October 4, 2015

Any good comments you read here are probably written by his staff to make themselves look good in attempt to dillute out the bad commments. Read all comments on page 2 and make your own judement , you will see that the majority write about how rude his staff is .

flag | Submitted May 7, 2015

My oldest is currently undergoing treatment with Dr. Hickman. He is about halfway through, and so far everything is going well. I find Dr. H is very knowledgeable, friendly and kind. The staff at the desk are efficient. They may not be falling over themselves being friendly, but they are never rude. They are doing their job and well. They provided excellent advice and support when we started, helping us work through our insurance and setting up a reasonable payment plan. They were very accomodating. They certainly run a tight ship there, which I like. We never have to wait for our appointment and if we're there early, we get in early. I love that. I can imagine that anyone not on time for their appointment might find themselves losing their slot. I don't know if that what happens, but given that our appointments always run on schedule, I don't think that the staff is waiting for those running late to their own appointments. Overall, we're all very pleased with the service and care. My son feels comfortable there and we can see that the work is coming along as planned. (To the person who commented about the semi-permanent retainers, those are the norm now. And they're a good thing. They can be kept in place permanently. My husband, who had extensive orthodontics work in the 80s wishes he had had that option. His teeth have migrated back because of lack of this type of retainer. Other families I know going to other orthodontists are having the same type of retainer. It'll keep their teeth in place for however long they keep it. Thumbs up to that!)

flag | Submitted May 6, 2015

Great doctor with an aesthetic sense and a sense of humour. I will highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted April 11, 2015

Very good and knowledgable. Went to him after a bad experience with another orthodontist. Good choice.

flag | Submitted October 9, 2014

I was recommended to Dr. Hickman from my dentist and rightfully so. I started my treatment in 2011 and finished my last appointment in June. Dr.Hickman and the staff were always friendly to me and reassured me of the positives in my progress. The positive reinforcement, friendliness, and professionalism is what kept me from being discouraged about having braces. I would recommend Dr.Hickman to anyone looking to correct their teeth.

flag | Submitted June 26, 2014

Did my teeth when he was starting out 30 years ago. Has done 3 of my kids' as well. Efficient, professional, affordable (relative to other Orthos in Ottawa). Highly recommend. Sour grapes from some unhappy customers reflect more on them than the office, as far as I can see.

flag | Submitted May 23, 2014

I had braces put on when I was 30 yrs old. He is now seeing my two boys for othro. He and his staff are excellent, never a bad experience! Always punctual, professional, and friendly! After 14 years, my teeth are in excellent condition, and my boys like Dr. Hickman as he is sociable, gentle, and caring. I would highly recommend this office for treatment, and after so many years in practice, he still remains in the highest regard for our family!!

flag | Submitted May 6, 2014