Ratings for Dr. Joseph Cowan

Dr Cowan is an excellent pain physician. He is knowledgable and careful and takes great care not to prescribe medication that may do more harm than good, unlike other pain doctors.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2017

Very unpleasant and dismissive. No compassion. Abrupt and patronising.

flag | Submitted December 26, 2014

We agree with the ONE STAR reviews about Dr Joseph Cowan. He also kept us waiting for an hour and a half in his consultation room while he stood outside his open door laughing smiling and joking with another lady consultant, and we thought at least he's a cheerful chap. Until he finished chatting and closed his door, where he suddenly switched himself into a completely different person, and did not apologise for keeping us waiting. Whatever we said, he refused to believe us or a distinguished doctor's findings from another hospital. He was extremely unprofessional, rude, ill-mannered, angry, aggressive attitude, and ignorant towards others misfortunes, pains and sufferings. Dr Cowan REFUSED to answer our questions and REFUSED to explain anything to us. The appointment was a complete waste of our time and waste of NHS money. Dr Cowan was very stubborn and only believes what he thinks and everyone else, is an idiot. He was unnecessarily very nasty and ONLY saw us for 10 minutes and got up and left, a very strange person. He only wants patients for his research, and not patients to help. No doubt, he is in breach of duty of care towards all his patients but he knows, he gets away with it and from the first review written below in 2008 he's been getting away with his appalling behaviour and is still working and manipulating his patients care needs. Disgraceful !!!! GMC wake up. Disappointingly, Dr Joseph Cowan is the worst doctor we have ever met and will never recommend. Cowan is in a world of his own.

flag | Submitted December 9, 2014

We are astonished to read the appallingly incorrect 'reviews' of Dr Joseph Cowan of the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital. Firstly, Dr Cowan is NOT a surgeon... his work is entirely involved in rehabilitation and neurology... and were he a surgeon, he would be called Mr, not Dr Joseph Cowan. And secondly, this man has been - and remains - one of the very best consultants - all ways round - in his field, who has treated - and continues to treat - both my husband and I. Any patient of his is in safe hands. Dr Cowan, who has one of the best and warmest 'bedside manners', is a great credit to his profession. He is a senior consultant at the RNOH, who would not be practising there if he were not as described above.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2014

I cannot understand why these nasty comments have been made. I saw Dr Cowan last week and he's one of the most kindest and reassuring doctors I have seen. He was polite and took time to explain everything. I could not fault his professialism and cannot believe any of these spiteful accusations.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2013

Joseph Cowan is a nasty piece of work. He doesn't like himself let alone any of his patients. He is angry and bitter and full of hate. He runs his patients down into the ground, treats his patients like dirt and enjoys a very sick sense of satisfaction to see his patients suffer in pain. He hates it if he is questioned or challenged. He should be struck off the GMC register and made to face a criminal court for inflicting suffering in his patients. A disgrace to the medical profession. Hippocrates would be rolling in his grave if he could only sit in and witness a consultation by the beast that is Dr. Joseph Cowan.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2011

Very unfelpful Awful manner very abrupt had no time of patience Should most definately not be in direct contact with patients has no bedside manner just got up & left in middle of consutltation. The worst health care professional I have evr come across in my time of seeing my consultants over the the last few years. He deff needs acourse in patient care & may it is time he retired as he made you feel as if you were wasting his time his secretary who made the appointments was also tared with the same bush would not reccomend at all

flag | Submitted March 9, 2011

Joseph Cowan is a pathalogical and very sick man. He suffers severe narcissism, puts down patients and is ready to break the GMC code of conduct if it suits his pathalogical whims. He told me I was making up all my problems and that he "might let me into (his) rehab unit if my attitude improved". When I complained about him he wrote to other doctors asking them not to treat me and has coordinated a criminal and deliberate denial of care. As a result I am now severely crippled. This man needs investigating by legal authorities - not the lily-livered GMC.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2009

Joseph Cowan is rude, unhelpful, arrogant, argumentative and assumes the worst in people. He is politically motivated by left-wing looney ideas and he doesn't trust or believe his patients. He has an inferiority complex and is a very angry man deep down and he takes this anger and hate out on his patients. I pity any patient who is treated by him.

flag | Submitted October 6, 2008

The worst doctor I have ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with. He has a serious god complex. He has no interest in helping his patients and uses his time with them to tear them down. He seems to have preconceived ideas and asks questions and hounds you to fit into the profile that he has created for you.

flag | Submitted January 9, 2008