Ratings for Dr. H. Matt El-Kadi

Dr El-Kadi and staff are absolutely to best! I was barely walking and he gave me my active lifestyle back to me. Words don't properly describe how thankful I am to him and to his staff. I would highly recommend him to everyone!!

flag | Submitted June 23, 2017

Dr. El Kadi and his staff were wonderful. I left there with a good understanding of my condition and my options ahead. I would highly recommend this doctor to anyone.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2017

I underwent lumbar surgery 2 weeks and I am 100% improved, its wonderful, I have no pain, it made a huge difference in my life, back to the life I had. Excellent experience from preop to going home. PAs in the hospital were great, very informative. Everything was explained very well. Its fantastic.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2017

I have a serious spinal condition that has persisted for over 35 years. Over time I have sought help from over 15 specialists in various fields. Five years ago my condition became so painful I could no longer walk, or even get out of bed. I lost everything including career, and ability to support family with two small children. Since that time, I have sought help from eight doctors, mostly within UPMC. Not one doctor was able to provide real diagnosis, instead they shuffled me from doctor to doctor until I ended up in pain management, which failed. Before meeting with Dr. Elkadi, I made him aware of my experience and fact I was looking for a doctor who would take extra initiative to thoroughly investigate my condition. Dr Elkadi's credentials certainly indicated he possessed the knowledge and experience to provide accurate diagnosis. I drove nearly an hour for appointment with Dr. Elkadi in great pain. Dr Elkadi received me late, asked a few questions about history and pain, then asked me to flex and press toes; and that was it! No examination, no localization of pain, no review of previous medical images. Dr. Elkadi then began to lecture on how he could not perform any surgery without evidence of a condition, and further made light of my condition by sighting fact most adults experience lower back pain with age, ignoring fact pain had persisted since age 17. So, within the totality of ten minutes, Dr Elkadi walked out of the examination room, effectively dismissing my condition without even reviewing one MRI or x-ray, not to mention fact I have been permanently disabled and in extreme pain for over five years. Dr. Elkadi did in fact order new MRI and x-ray, I explained he would find nothing that stands out because I have been through same process prior. I asked Dr. Elkadi about newer imaging technology I had researched prior to visit, that could potentially provide high-fidelity MRI imaging to possibly detect problem hidden from standard resolution imaging. He dismissed this by indicating there was no such technology as he walked out door. Weeks later I received phone call from Dr. Elkadi's office; the x-ray indicated strongly I had undergone previous laminectomy with significant internal scar tissue. After explaining I had never undergone back surgery, I was told they must have viewed the wrong x-ray, and someone would call me promptly. After two weeks, received second call (no mention of first issue), this time indicating Dr. Elkadi had found no serious medical condition and was recommending conservative treatment (again). Later I was able to review initial x-ray radiology report. To my surprise, report indicated several serious conditions including multiple bridged bone-spurs, possible pars fracture or defect, and prominent lucency in the exact local of severe pain. How ever, Dr. Elkadi's report did not even mention these findings in any way, In fact Dr. Elkadi's report failed to identify any significant medical condition other than the standard degenerative changes. I mentioned these inconsistencies to staff at the Wexford Spine Center, and specifically requested an explanation from Dr. Elkadi as to the apparent great contrast between the two reports. The staff became defensive, disrespectful and at one point told me "we do not make-up reasons to perform surgery". Dr. Elkadi's office has not contacted me since. In summery, I sought out Dr. Elkadi seeking desperate help with a condition causing daily and severe pain, coupled with fact he is rated one of the best spine doctors in the US. What I received was disdain, dismissal, disrespect, arrogance, mild spinal condition diagnosis in spite of being in great pain and unable to walk, greatly contradictory medical reports, and a hefty medical bill. Dr Elkadi may posses highly coveted and elevated status within his career circle. However from the patient perspective, Elkadi comes across as cold and arrogant. He smiled to my face, yet his demeanor was heartless and empty. Dr Elkadi really does not have time for me or my condition, this was evident in his lack of engagement and enthusiasm to actually perform challenging investigation. Dr. Elkadi could have been honest and just indicated he does not understand the nature of my spinal issue, this I would have respected, But instead, just like many other UPMC doctors; this threatened his ego. So he states I have no serious spinal injury and proceeds to find fault in my questioning of his diagnosis. In all fairness to Dr. Elkadi, I am sure once upon-a-time he became a doctor out of compassion and empathy for others, and I am sure he has helped many seeking his expertise. But I fear Dr. Elkadi has lost focus of the humanistic ideals that launched his profession, and instead focused on elevating his professional-standing and egocentric ideals. Professional accolades, awards and window-dressing within the profession, have clearly replaced any semblance of compassion or empathy toward others.

flag | Submitted February 4, 2017

Dr. El-Kadi operated on my lumbar spine in Dec 2016 I had been unable to walk for nearly a month. He had to shave 3 disc. I got up and walked within an hour after recovery. He operated on my cervical neck Oct 2017. Both my arms and hands were numb and painful. I had no strength or grip. I had dizzy spells and no balance due to the displaced vertebrae.. This operation was more involved and took more recovery time but I felt 90% at 3 month checkup.

flag | Submitted January 13, 2017

He did my back surgery in July 2009 and while putting in 2 rods a plate and 6 screws he screwed 3 of the screws down on nerves in my back and I have been suffering chronic back pain, numbness, burning, tingling and sharp pains in my lower back ever since. Three months after my surgery he dismissed me as his patient and told me I was one of the one percent that the surgery that didn't work. What kind of doctor does this to his patients?

flag | Submitted December 25, 2016

Please seek out another neuro. He did a procedure while I was under anesthesia which I did not authorize, nor did I expect. He fused above my already fused L3,4,5 with simple glue and bone material, without rods and screws. I had had a previous fusion lower down on the spine with rods and screws. The fusion did not fuse and my spine slipped out of alignment resulting in scoliosis. He told me at my follow up apt that the severe pain on the right of my spine was SI joint involvement and sent me for injections. It proved to be spinal not SI joint. When I returned to him for my final apt. he took an x-ray and told me my fusion had failed and that I now have scoliosis. I questioned as to what I was to do now.... his reply "live your life as best you can." That procedure was done in 2014 and I have had increasingly more severe pain and disability since then. My nerves and vertebrae are now a "train wreck". I have consulted another neuro. for my next procedure... if and when I get up enough nerve to go through with it. Dr. El-Kadi needs to get more sleep, listen more intently and admit when he is in error!

flag | Submitted October 11, 2016

Excellent Doctor. Knowledgeable and very professional. He has a great staff. I recommend him without any reservation

flag | Submitted January 10, 2016

topnotch Doctor,very good care and the results were great! Would recommend him if you want no nonsense Doc.

flag | Submitted January 8, 2016

Dr. El-Kadi was very cold & totally uncaring for the degree of my condition. Since he made a decision that surgery was not an option after approximately 1 minute after looking at my MRI, I was "kicked to the curb without a diagnosis. I had to stop him before he and his nurse went out the door asking him, what is causing my symptoms (I saw him for intractable headaches from a spinal fusion I had about 25 years ago) ? He stopped his flight to the door, turned around and with the most indignant look said "I don't know ...... Maybe fibromyalgia." Then again he and his nurse turned away from my wife and me and on his way through the door with his back to me he said with a sigh "anything else?". My wife (a Medical Surgical nurse for over 20 years) and I looked at each other with total and utter disbelief. I got the distinct feeling that I just wasted the last few minutes of his privileged life! I don't care how qualified the man is or how many degrees he has, he is a human being as I am and how dare he treat me the way he did. I'm 56 years old and never have I met a physician as cold and as uncaring as he. I work for UPMC and I know how important the "Patient" is in our system. Dr. El-Kadi would be well served in reviewing our mission statement!

flag | Submitted December 10, 2015

Dr. H. Matt El-Kadi's Credentials

• Second Moscow State Pirogov Medical Institute (Grad. 1983)

Delta Dental