Ratings for Dr. Ira S. Halper

Dr. Harper is most likely a sociopath! DO NOT BECOME A PATIENT OF HIS unless you want your illness to get worse.....much much worse.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2017

I saw Dr. Halper for almost 1 year and as most reviewers have already mentioned, he was very cold and often didn't seem to be listening during our session. At one point he answered a personal phone call while we were in session and asked me to step outside until he's done. I was out in the waiting room for a while before he decided to come out and reschedule the appointment. He is unprofessional, inhumane and should have never graduated from medical school. His knowledge and therapy techniques are very outdated and I didn't learn anything useful talking to him. He would do the medical community a favor by doing something other than psychiatry.

flag | Submitted September 27, 2017

I certainly wish that I had read these reviews prior to bringing my son to see Dr. Halper! He was very cold and uncaring...he seems to have forgotten that he is "treating" a human being, and that he is not a god! He has all of the answers, and knows the patient and his problems without even needing to listen! Pretty amazing, huh?

flag | Submitted August 23, 2015

Dr. Halper seems immune to emotion or "how the 99% percent live." I was not able to afford to pay the three hundred to two hundred and fifty dollars a visit, so he insisted my elderly parents come to all of my appointments since they were paying. He is out of touch with reality and was worried more with my bad penmanship then anything else. He was quite flustered when I said I could not afford to visit him twice a week or once a week but only once a month. When I canceled my appointment within the 48 hour mark he immediately called my mother instead of me. He refused to see me anymore over an unpaid bill of twenty dollars. All of this was going on while my dad had just been diagnosed with stage four cancer. According to him dealing with cancer is not an excuse to be delinquent on a twenty dollar bill? Give me a break. Also received many letters from collection agencies and "covering his a$$ malpractice protection letters" on why I could no longer be a patient, and I never missed one appointment.

flag | Submitted November 26, 2014

I saw dr. Halper more than 20 years ago and still have bad feelings about him. He did get me through a bad time in my life, but was a cold, uncaring guy. The most memorable time was when he "fired" me because he didn't want to get me better so I could continue my work with a group he considered communist. WTF? That did wonders for my stability. He did continue to see me until I found someone else.

flag | Submitted November 3, 2012

I saw Dr. Halper for about a year or so. As other reviews on this site say, he was terrible -- seemed to care more about money than his patients. Although he seemed decently knowledgeable about his subject, he was never nice about his diagnosis. It always just seemed like "you have problems, this is what they are." I would not recommend Dr. Halper to ANYONE.

flag | Submitted November 7, 2011

He seemed to spend more energy asking about my insurance than my issues. The sessions were restricted to following a workbook which, occasionally quite helpful, was often irrelevant. When my purse was stolen, I had to go without medication until he had an opening for me.

flag | Submitted May 7, 2010

Wow! I thought I was the only one. For all these years I thought I had missed out on a great doctor but my gut feeelings were correct!He treated for a month but I had to stop seeing himbecause he didnt want my insurance.He basically told me good luck and come back when you have money. Im suprised Rush Hospital still has him,,,he sucks as a doctyor and person-human being!!!!!!!!!

flag | Submitted November 20, 2009

I was challenged by this doctor's inflexibility. I agree with the previous comment in that he might be more interested in money than actually helping patients. I recommend for anyone interested in this doctor to ensure that you handle your own claims. His office will want to file them for you however, they only file claims one time a month due to staff shortages - which in my view is unacceptable and not really my problem. The reimbursement, once it is filed - goes back to them!! If you don't have a balance, then they will reimburse you. That can take much longer. This is not another burden i would have wanted to take on at the time.

flag | Submitted November 23, 2008

This doctor is more interested in income than patient care. He was the most unenlightening, uncooperative medical professional I have experienced in my 47 years of life. I related my experience to both the referring agency (who removed him) and a psychologist and both were appalled at his practices.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2007

Dr. Ira S. Halper's Credentials

• Northwestern University Medical School (Grad. 1960)