Ratings for Dr. Mary Farhi

I wouldn't recommend this office or Dr. Farhi to anyone. My first visit was lovely and I thought that I had found a wonderful new office that was in alignment with my views and lifestyle. This appointment was for a pap and birth control. Dr. Farhi was very warm and kind, had many holistic suggestions to share for whole body health. The nurse later called me to tell me my pap was not right, nothing alarming she said, but that the doctor would like to take a closer look with a very simple non invasive appointment. All of my questions were answered with attitude and vague answers. This should have been my warning - but - my first visit was so nice ...so I proceeded. The office called to say they had confirmed the procedure with my insurance, no conflict. The appointment was horrendous. There are no other words. The room was gross - nothing like where the regular appointments were taken. Random boxes and things scattered about. Medical instruments out and open - not in the sterilization packaging. Open blinds to observe those walking by - um not wearing any pants here!! Also, invasive to me means blood, and pain, there was plenty. I had no heads up about either in fact had been told the procedure was like looking in a camera. When results came back fine and the nurse mentioned the first abnormal pap may have been do to SEX BEFORE - why was the procedure done and that never asked? How is that not a question before a pap appointment? Bonus my insurance DIDN'T cover the procedure (complete conflict with what the office stated). Then - too top that - they NEVER filled my birth control - main reason I went this office. When the pharmacy called they declined it. I'd rather find a new Dr. than try to get them to do another thing. Maybe the other doctors in this practice are fine. But maybe they all want to schedule needless appointments to charge and extreme amount of money - There are many great doctors in the Arlington Heights area. This is not one.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2017

I've been w/ Dr. Farhi for over 15 years- trusted her- only to be deceived. I had to ask for things. I wanted to be on birth control, after a few years, I decided that I did not like this particular option. I asked for an "upgrade", then when I told her that I did not like the upgrade, she wanted me to try again- only after I asked her about an IUD, did I get it. Over the years, I ran into some ex-staff outside of the office and they told me HORROR stories (which at first, I did not believe, but now I do). One case, in particular, a Dr was working on her last day, Dr Farhi told a staff to not give credit to that doctor. If the staff did not do this- They would be fired. I went to the Hoffman Estates location, left work early, sat in the waiting room for 45 minutes, then waited another 30 minutes in the room for her. She was never on time, even first thing in the morning. So disrespectful. Dr Farhi's office takes medicare for existing patients, of which I was for 15 years. They don't "advertise" it, but they do honor it. After my procedure, Dr. Farhi checked in on me (with no other nurse in the room) and said," You will need to find a new doctor because I did not make any money off of you." I thought the Hippocratic Oath was to take care of people regardless of payment? (Side note: the government pays a portion of what she bills to them, and she has to write off the difference) It's been 2 years since this incident, and I am still appalled that a doctor would actually say that to a patient. I have found that if Dr. Farhi likes you, you are treated differently ( the wall are thin.) and if she does not like you- she is dismissive and rushes thru the exam. I should have l left years ago, but I was lazy. Good news out of all of this: I found an excellent doctor, who makes me feel comfortable and is closer to home. It's your call, but read the reviews before you decide.

flag | Submitted October 31, 2016

I visited this doctor after researching doctors that specialized in menopause. Except for offering advice on diet, lifestyle, etc. which I was already practicing, she was very interested in selling patients products from her practice such as vitamins and other supplements that could be purchased in any drugstore. She was also very pro-hormone therapy in perimenopausal and menopausal women despite the multiple, current studies that link hormone therapy with breast cancer. She was with me for about ten minutes and charged over $300 dollars! When I contacted the office regarding the charge they would not let me speak to the Dr. Farhi about it and told me they would not adjust the fee. There was no exam involved just a consultation and I felt the charge was very high. I would not recommend Dr. Farhi.

flag | Submitted November 5, 2013

I went to see Dr. Farhi because I was supremely depressed and experiencing extreme menopausal symptoms. Dr. Farhi prescribed hormones which I was reluctant to take, but she monitored me closely and on my second visit she asked if I was feeling better. I told her that the hot flashes and night sweats had gone away but that I still was not feeling any increase in libido. Then she started talking about how my diet could be affecting me and that I should read Dr. Hyman's book, The Blood Sugar Solution; which I did. I learned to eliminate processed foods and sugar from my eating habits and made raw vegetables and salads my primary food source. Since January of 2013, following Dr. Farhi's and Dr. Hyman's advice I've lost 37 lbs and I've simply changed my lifestyle. Dr. Farhi holds educational food seminars at no charge. I think she is an excellent, caring doctor. I even started a Facebook page touting the benefits of this way of eating, http://facebook.com/forhealthyfoods.

flag | Submitted October 4, 2013

This place is a nightmare, the nurses are dumber than a box of rocks as they cannot even read test results. Dr. Farhi never returns calls not even if you beg, has no interest in the patient's health since she believes herself to be an awesome doctor, they care only about money.

flag | Submitted April 9, 2013

felt they didn't want me there as a patient, use to send out reminder cards, didn't receive one, called and told me incorrect date of last annual exam. (a year incorrect)

flag | Submitted October 25, 2011

It appears, from my experience, that Dr. Farhi will not assist women that are over their ideal body weight get pregnant. She decides who can and cannot have children.

flag | Submitted December 11, 2009

I have been going to Dr. Farhi for 5 years and have had consistently good experiences with her. She always listens, is thoroughly professional and gives me free samples to help control medication costs. Not only does she give me medical advice, but she also provides me with great advice for marathon training and the best ways to help my muscles recover.

flag | Submitted October 31, 2009

I have been going to her for years. She has always been very knowledgeable and attentive towards my needs. She also delivered my daughter. I have been a happy patient. Hope you will be too.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2009

have been going to her for years. she is very hit or miss -- she is either wonderful or really dismissive depending what day you catch her on. She is however a very knowledgeable dr. Ive never waited LESS than 30 minutes past my appt time to get in. Does not have convenient hours for working patients. Office staff is usually okay, but recorded appt reminders that are left on voice mails go into a 2-minute dissertation about payment expectations. Its a turn off.

flag | Submitted February 22, 2008

Dr. Mary Farhi's Credentials

• University Of Minnesota Medical School (Grad. 1991)

Avmed