Ratings for Dr. Mary Lee Vance

She is absolutely amazing! She is very knowledgeable and her line of work. she's very caring about all her patients. Yes she is old school and can come off a little rude, but I wouldn't want anyone else taking care of me. This woman is absolutely amazing and caring. Her students are very thankful to have her, and her patients are very lucky to be able to have such a caring compassionate doctor.

flag | Submitted February 28, 2017

Yes she's experienced and been around a long, LONG time. But this has it pros and its cons. A dr MUST be open minded and willing to consider other ideas or they become stale and ineffective. If they only treated the seriously, obviously sick and didn't take the time to investigate nuances in a situation that is not "text book", we'd all be in a heap of trouble. She has her ideas and no one is going to sway them, regardless of how credible the info is - she's the proverbial example of doctors who don't care or want) to change, even as medicine evolves. She misdiagnoses A LOT - I know two people who she blew off in the last year regarding hormone producing pituitary tumors -- only to have them go to another dr months laterto get a confirmed diagnosis and consequent surgery. As well, she can be rude and condescending with no provocation -- for something as simple as asking her a question. She has clearly lost sight of any perspective but her own. She upset my poor, sweet mother and was all I could do to restrain myself My mother is the nicest person you'd ever meet and just because she asked questions, Dr Vance became sarcastic and belittling. I think this probably speaks to her state of her own personal happiness. I wonder if she has anything in her life besides her job. #psch101

flag | Submitted January 13, 2017

She was a complete waste of time. Said pituitary tumors don't cause psychological symptoms. She believes her own lies, despite decades of research. To top it off, she's just a plain old nasty human being. Skip her.

flag | Submitted January 8, 2017

Best Dr I have ever seen yes she is rude when u are in the wrong but let another Dr or nurse do something wrong and watch her go then but she did help me understand everything and she calls me from her home

flag | Submitted October 17, 2013

Dr. Vance is "the best" in her field!!! I found her to be very caring and professional. She took the time to explain my condition and the treatment options available to me. She is known internationally for her endocrinne expertise. I would recommend her to anyone seeking a physician with her credentials. Compliance is the only thing she asks of her patients. That is what most doctors expect of their patients! I would never see anyone else should my pituitary tumor recur. There is a wait, but she spends ample time when your term comes.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2013

flag | Submitted July 9, 2013

Dr. Vance is without question one of the most knowledgeable and intelligent physicians that I have ever seen. I understand why some people on the various rating websites describe her as cold and aloof, but I can assure you that underneath the all-business exterior, Dr. Vance truly cares about her patients. I feel very comfortable with her, and I know she wants to help me. It can be very frustrating to wait for more than an hour, but I accept the inconvenience as necessary because she then spends more than 30 minutes answering my questions. I wouldn't go anywhere else for a pituitary problem, and it appears that many people agree, as her clinic is constantly overbooked and appointments are difficult to schedule. I feel for Dr. Vance in that her staff is exceptionally incompetant. It is literally impossible to get an answer from anyone EXCEPT for Dr. Vance (her staff doesn't even return multiple phone calls). Sometimes you have to be willing to make trade-offs to get the best. Worth it.

flag | Submitted December 27, 2012

I saw Dr. Vance in 2007. She was helpful and knowledgable.I saw Dr. Laws at the same time. Dr. Laws is a wonderful person with a great bedside manner. Dr. Vance treated me like I was so beneath her. I explained that I had been feeling bad but the day we were coming back from the beach,I felt worse. She said "Why do you think that is, You're a smart girl, figure it out." Basically my diagnosis was I was depressed because I had to leave the beach. If she thought I was so smart, does she really think I would drive 2 hours to get a MRI and see her? She talked down to me, very condescending. I think she would like to bve a shrink for her next career. She gives doctors a bad name. She kept saying in her monotone voice,"what can I do for you today". I guess she thought I was going to ask for pain medicine or disability. Waste of my time. Luckily no tumor regrowth so I never have to see her again. Retire please

flag | Submitted November 5, 2012

I was taken aback completely and can't believe I even spent time and money coming here. She talked down to me from the second she walked through the door, asked me 6 times how I even got into UVA health system, asked me if I lied on my paperwork to get in here since I am not a VA resident, says that idiots do the paperwork so that's probably how I got in, and then when I got upset and began crying after being ignored, talked down to, repeatedly questioned about my residency, she told me NONE of my symptoms besides missed menstrual cycle were caused by my tumor, which plenty of research can prove that her statement was and is false. Also, when I was upset, she stated, "clearly you have something else wrong with you and you need to figure it out," while looking at my mother and raising her eyebrows, insinuating a mental condition and that my problems are not related to my tumor inside my head. She also told me things that aren't true proven by years of research.

flag | Submitted October 25, 2012

If you want a great Endocrinologist, she's the one I would chose, without question. I have received excellent care from her and UVA. Lucky to have access to someone with her knowledge and talent.

flag | Submitted August 8, 2012

Dr. Mary Lee Vance's Credentials

• LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF MEDICINE IN SHREVEPORT (Grad. 1977)

Top Urgent Care Centers in Charlottesville, VA