Ratings for Dr. Oliva Ortiz-Alvarez

I have had her for a doctor for my child for many years. The problem has been if you don't agree with what she suggests, mainly meds, even though said meds did not make a difference in the child's behavior and focus, she gets upset and makes assumptions. I really liked her early on cause she did everything possible and ruled out many other things before making a diagnosis of ADHD unlike some other doctors or just diagnose kids... Lately though she just wants to pass my child over and actually has but now the child isn't getting what the child needs fully from the psychiatrist. Dr K has got my child under control and the meds that the child needed weren't for his ADHD which I have been saying for the last several years which fell on deaf ears. She does know her stuff BUT parents should be able to take meds or leave meds esp when the ones the child was tried on didn't make a diff...

flag | Submitted April 19, 2016

Dr. Ortiz has been my children's doctor for the past few years and has been a wonderful help to us! She has been on the ball, and has no problem sending the kids for a second opinion if she is not quite sure. She doesn't push meds on my kids, just does an overall awesome job! They trust her, and her personality is great! Thanks for such a great job!!

flag | Submitted February 6, 2014

Dr. Ortiz-Alvaraz was called to consult when my baby began vomiting thick, bilious liquid when he was 6 hours old. She had him X-rayed and determined that he had a bowel obstruction. Because I had had an ultrasound with the appearance of echogenic bowel, she automatically assumed that he had Cystic Fibrosis. She told me that he did have CF without any true testing when in reality, after arriving at the IWK, we found out that he had an atresia which explained the echogenic bowel. I will be looking for a pediatrician in Sydney even though Antigonish is closer because of her JUMPING THE GUN!

flag | Submitted November 1, 2013

I was certainly impressed with her.The care she provided for my son , first class service all the way . Lucky to have a good doctor like here wish they all were like her . Very impressed with her appoach and knowledge on health issue for kids . Job well done.

flag | Submitted February 11, 2013

Dr Ortiz-Alvarez is an excellent doctor, she is very attentive to my sons needs and is right there to call back when I have a concern.I am so happy that St.Martha's has gained this very special lady.

flag | Submitted January 24, 2013

A true professional. Love this special lady. We are so thankful that we have her as doctor for our two children.

flag | Submitted August 26, 2012

Never leaves a stone unturned until she finds the answers..cares about her patients and listens to their parents. wonderful person and doctor...you really feel a sense of relief that someone is looking into things after a visit with her.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2011

I was suffering from anxiety for a long time and complained to several other doctors before she took me seriously. I saw a psychiatrist shortly after. I'm also a bit overweight and have been self conscious my entire life, when I said I didn't want to know how much I weighed she smiled and said "you have so many bigger things to worry about than your weight... it's not dangerous right now" which I appreciated. Thanks for helping.

flag | Submitted November 12, 2011

I think Dr. Ortiz is the best pediatrician in our area. She took no chances when she thought our little boy had a heart issue, she always is very patient with both my son and myself ( I am a high needs mom...LOL) She talks and explains things to my son when he asks questions...which I love....some docs just talk to parents. Also, she takes the time to call me...when I leave her a message...and she calls in a timely manner.

flag | Submitted June 9, 2011

The best. Got to the bottom of my medical problem. I'm too old to see her now. But I most certainly recommend her.

flag | Submitted April 9, 2010