Ratings for Dr. Samuel F. Hunter

I have a friend who had an appointment with Dr. Hunter. He was really late, & when he was in the hallway it appeared he had been asleep. She just left.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2017

First of all let me start out with the good. The good part about Dr. Hunters office is his nurse practitioner who is very knowledgeable and always polite whether it be in person or on the phone. Most of his staff are very nice there but are a few that are not. After seeing him I am unable to be able to recommend him to anyone mainly because of his bedside manner or lack thereof. He is very knowledgeable but really seems to have a God complex so to speak. I found him very rude, hurtful and abrasive. When you are struggling and suffering the last thing you need is someone to treat you without human compassion. All of the education and all of the research is just a wash if you don't really have a love for people. The good thing about being in the Nashville area is that there are other neurologist to try and I think I'm going to try to get a referral to Vanderbilt for my next neurology appointment. I think that there is more accountability in the larger groups than perhaps a local doctor would have.

flag | Submitted June 14, 2017

I am a Nurse Practitioner, 28 years under my belt. Many people are not misdiagnosed at their first visit with a neurologist, but rather undiagnosed. They leave having been told your MRI is fine. They don't leave with a diagnosis of ANYTHING. I suppose that is better than a wrong diagnosis. Then, here comes another " one of those spells." My advice is if you have the slightest "feeling" that you have M.S., be evaluated by Dr. Sam Hunter. Believe me, you will be evaluated like never before. There are certain criteria involving multiple tests to make the diagnosis even though a person's neurologic exam alone is very telling.

flag | Submitted March 18, 2016

I have been with Dr. Hunter for almost 5 mths. I have had every nerve test known to man including a lumbar puncture. 26 vials of blood testing the day of the spinal. He is very thorough. I have one more lumbar MRI in Feb. This is the 1st dr that has even run these tests. He listened to my symptoms without telling me I was crazy. They all treated me like a hypochondriac. Dr . Hunter was my 5th neurologist. He had his partner come into my exam room one visit (#36) and she was exactly like the other 4 neurologists before Dr. Hunter. I wasn't sure what to do. I just finally told her in a quiet voice, that Dr. Hunter was my dr. That is why I was there. 5 years ago, I couldn't understand why all of these strange things would happen to me from the age of 20 and in a few days or a few weeks, it would be gone. In Oct of 2013, I went from the relapsing-remission Ms to secondary progressive MS. I have been in a nightmare since then. Dr. Hunter loves his patients (unless you tell his partner that you want Dr. Hunter as your dr.) I begged my PCP of 17 yrs to get me help so he just kept referring me to specialists. He didn't believe me and neither did my husband or my own children. I am not sure how God kept me trying. I would never wish my experiences on anyone. Until he kicks me out with me holding his leg, I am just so happy to have finally found someone who not only listened, but believed me. I wonder, if any one of the other Specialists had run tests 5 yrs ago, after 40 years without any treatment, would it have helped to keep in a milder state? It just kept getting worse. Now almost every nerve in my body is bad.. They wouldn't listen to me. Dr. Hunter has sweet girls both at the desk and any who have conducted the test for me that day. They are kind to me. Yes, it is always almost a full day when you have an appointment. When he is with me, he acts like I am his priority. He is always running around from phone calls or his girls needing him for something. He is a perfectionist. It is hard for staff to learn their job when every thing from them has to be done perfectly. I thank God for finally getting me to Dr. Samuel Hunter!!

flag | Submitted January 3, 2016

Let's see where do I start? He diagnosed me with MS after 4 other doctors told me there were no lesions on my brain and spine. But Dr Hunter seen lesions. he would not let me get my MRI anywhere but Belle Meade imaging. well, what do you know? I do not have MS. Dr Hunters office starting telling us lies about little stuff and the wait time was 2-6 hours after a 3 hour drive, and they did not accept either of my insurances. so I found a new neurologist and he did MRI on brain and spine and two of the neurologists checked it and I have NO lesions anywhere. Needless to say I AM TICKED OFF. Unless you KNOW you have MS, do NOT go to Dr HUnter.

flag | Submitted May 21, 2015

By far the best! He truly cares and heads up lots of research!!!

flag | Submitted July 16, 2014

I saw this doctor for 5 years. At one time I considered him a great doctor. He has either become too busy or doesn't care anymore. The wait time has gone into 2-3 hours after set appt. time, has been longer on one occasion. He lost a great RN, NP, and office manager in the same month. The replacement office manager is just plain rude, and has yelled at me in front of a waiting room full of patients. I think he has bitten off more than he can chew and is overwhelmed. While I feel he is knowledgeable about MS, he is very negative. As another person on here said, he has told me I would end up not walking in a few years. In the year that I have left and received good care, I have gone from full time cane to part time cane use. I pay too much money to be spoken to rudely and have he and his staff snap at me. My questions have merit to me, even if he has heard the same questions over and over. In 5 years, he lost a lot of compassion. I would look elsewhere for MS care.

flag | Submitted September 27, 2012

The BEST neurologist I have seen!!! The BEST neurological exam, by far, EVER. I have been to five neurologists, so I know a great doctor, and a great exam when I have had one!!! He doesn't rush into diagnosis of MS, either. He and his NP's are very top-notch in the MS field! They are great!! Each appointment will last at least 45 minutes-they check vision, ambulation, reflexes, pin-prick, strength, vibratory touch, etc. each visit!! Amazing doctor and NPs-the best around!!! He just doesn't accept enough insurance. He doesn't believe in expensive tests unless they are necessary for changes, or diagnosis. If things are stable, he won't order MRI "just because."

flag | Submitted April 26, 2011

I'm so beside myself that I was forced to leave a doctor that let me go as patient. My finances could not pay up front with his lack of no insurance policy. My heart has been so burden...I pray daily my condition doesnt back slide due to lack of treatment I'm recieving now. My case is difficult now new doc's tell me I dont have MS, I've out weighed all my options and my faith is strong so I'll let God take it from here.

flag | Submitted May 22, 2009

One of the most thorough physicians I have ever encountered

flag | Submitted November 25, 2007

Dr. Samuel F. Hunter's Credentials

• University Of Texas Medical Branch At Galveston (Grad. 1991)

Top Hospitals in Franklin, TN