Ratings for Dr. Jonathan T. Deland

He a butcher. He butchered my foot, took bone from other areas of my body. I would say he left me with 50+stiches and my foot has been in constant pain. I am thankful I can just about walk. DO NOT USE HIM. He is a very insensitive person.

flag | Submitted September 7, 2018

Stay far away! I would not be surprised to find out that Dr Deland allows students to do the less challenging surgeries( bunions , hammer toes and neuromas). I had a neurectomy "done" by Deland which resulted in a Hematoma, DVT and ultimately Reflexive Sympathetic Dystrophy . Dr Deland allowed this painful outcome spread to both feet and legs as he refused to act immediately and instead was denying the problem. When I questioned him about prescribing Neurotin, he asked me " What is that?" Seriously , Dr Deland? Three years later, this surgery has left me crippled and in chronic pain. Dr Deland and HSS have taken me out of the Game!!!

flag | Submitted July 27, 2018

The famous Dr. Deland butchered my foot. For a bunion removal he killed a mouse with an elephant gun. DO NOT GO TO HIM!

flag | Submitted May 24, 2018

He is excellent. Everything he told me has occurred and the HSS physical therapy is equally as excellent as Dr. deland.

flag | Submitted November 28, 2017

Office staff was amazing. I even got a call.... Not an email response, from an email on a Saturday morning while she was on vacation. Her response when I thanked her was "this is my job! I make sure you don't have to worry about things" Dr. Deland took his time and did not rush any discussion I have had, even getting on phone when I called late in the day to ask questions. HHS for my surgery was amazing as well. So glad I decided to see Dr. Deland

flag | Submitted May 14, 2016

Arrogant overrated doctor. My pre-surgery consult. was rushed and uninformative. Yes if he were so technically adept I suppose his lofty demeanor may be justified, but I was not impressed with his skill set or staff so so did not use him for my issue. Some surgeons think every nail needs a hammer and go overboard with their recommendations. No thank you.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2015

Dr.Jonathan Deland changed my life. I am a 67 year old construction company owner living in Kennett Square, PA, and was hardly able to walk. At 29, I had an ankle replacement after a debilitating fall. I've been in severe pain for years, had several procedures, and opted for a second replacement. After extensive research, I decided the best place for the replacement was Hospital for Special Surgery. Being a unique case, Dr. Deland went to great lengths to obtain my medical history as far back as 1977 when I had my first replacement. Obviously, he was well prepared. He consulted with other members of his team and explained any possible risks and complications. The focus at HSS is to manage your pain level and it was definitely accomplished. I was in HSS for five days and experienced little to no pain. His staff was very professional and extremely attentive. I have the deepest respect for Dr. Deland and praise his ability and dedication.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2015

Dr Deland is, as many others have said, extremely knowledgeable. However, I felt like he saw my case as an interesting intellectual puzzle, rather than a situation that impacted a real person. Recovery from my surgery took significantly more time than he has predicted (a year on crutches, vs. 4-6 months), and I felt that once the surgical part was over there was little interest in getting me back to living my life in a functioning way. I had to push to get a referral for PT, as he didn't think it would help (it did). Four years down the line, I still am having pain in my ankle. I'm not sure any other surgeon could have done a better job with the surgical side given my situation, but I feel like he feels his job is done. I agree that the surgery itself was beautifully executed, with the neatest scars of any of my multiple orthopedic surgeries. Be prepared to wait HOURS after your scheduled appointment time to see him . Very frustrating. However, his staff are lovely and very professional.

flag | Submitted April 29, 2015

I was born with more problems in my feet and ankles than I can describe. i wasnt able to live a normal life and was in tremendous pain whenever i used my feet. I saw the best doctors in America only to be told that my issues were inoperable and I'd have to live my life in pain. I finally found a highly rated doctor and he botched my surgery. My already horrible feet got worse :(. My day to day life was not fun. 5 years later I was tipped off by a relitave in the medical field to Dr. Deland. I was told that he's supposedly the best in the world, but he won't take just anyone and he commands a "premium". I pleaded my case and he seemed intrigued and diognosed me and said i could be helped. He said I'd always be in some degree of pain, but he could relieve most of it. Two years after my surgery, I'd call it successful. I can now walk miles. Before my surgery, half a city block was impossible for me to walk. Dr. Deland is an odd guy. He doesnt have an outgoing personality, but I could care less because he knows his stuff and could do what no other doctor could do- He fixed me. He'sstraight to the point. He gave me his cell phone number if i ever had a problem. Hes been very caring, as has his staff in my post-op visits. I couldnt reccomend him highly enough. If you have a unique orthopedic problem that no one can fix, go se what Dr. Deland can do for you. He really is the best at what he does.

flag | Submitted January 4, 2015

As a physician myself, I did extensive research to choose the best-qualified doctor for my foot surgery. This lead me to Dr. Deland, and I am very satisfied with the outcome. Dr. Deland is an outstanding surgeon who corrected my painful foot problems and restored my foot to normal function and appearance. My experience with Dr. Deland was entirely positive; I would recommend him without reservation.

flag | Submitted October 23, 2014