Ratings for Dr. Monica I. Chopra

Been to Chopra x 3 checking her out as new PCP after insurance battle in Pitt forced me to leave my old PCP that was awesome. I'm 28 and in healthcare (not a doctor!) but I see lots of docs everyday in intense settings (hospital). She reminds me of a hospt. based doctor who's job is to focus on 1 main problem - then get in and get out fast fast fast. Hospital docs have to do that due to the volume and intensity of the patients. PCP's are supposed to slow down and take the longer approach, promoting wellness over 6 months-6 year kind of window, develop relationships and establish baselines to know when something is wrong later BEFORE something goes wrong. Chopra thinks/acts like a hospital based MD. As a PCP very poor choice for preventative care, no conversations about lifestyle, no education, and she spent more time staring at her computer then me. That's ok once in a while but now every visit. I had to aggressively advocate for myself and tell her to slow down I wanted to discuss a new hypertension diagnosis and possible causes (it was drastic change and unexpected) along with abnormal blood lab work. One visit was my first visit establishing myself with new provider btw and she still wasn't really trying to get an accurate history, establish a base line, or even develop a RELATIONSHIP with her new patient. I had to force her to collect info and update the portal via their online tool myself cause they didn't add the info anyway. Was she terrible? No. Was she polite - sure. Was she trying to get in and out and answer a minimal number of questions after making me wait 60 minutes with absolutely no discussion about lifestyle, healthy choices, alternative causes , or really anything? YES. Happened on more then one visit. Rest of staff was fair to great. After 3rd visit of similar behavior I finally am tired of trying to fight for more then 2-3 minutes of attention for her just to say nope everything looks fine (it wasn't) this is normal now (high Blood pressure isn't normal for a previously healthy 28 y/o). I'm very polite and friendly and WANT to develop a supportive 1 on 1 with my PCP to have the best outcome I can for my health, prevent problems vs throw meds at someone, and promote wellness. She threw 1 test at me (which I liked she wanted to have some diagnostics) but outside of that poor bedside manner and overall management of my health. Very impersonal. My newly pregnant wife is seeing someone else in that practice and experienced the same "standard" of care. We both are actively looking for new PCP's. I'll even say she may be right at the end of the day - maybe my new hypertension is now "normal" for me but a conversation about why or heres 3 things you can do to try help this from getting worse, here's why i'm saying this, etc would have gone a long way. Hope this review helps steer someone to an actual caring, involved provider that wants to make you healthier and get you off meds or figure out larger problems going on. Overall rate experience as 4/10 and minimally acceptable at best and largely the 4 stars is because their online portal is great and the rest of the staff was pretty good (1 rude secretary 2 great ones and x3 super nice medical assistants). A 5-10 minute conversation to address my questions or attempt to develop a relationship in any way would have gone a long way even if she was busy (she wasn't that busy as office was dead and I was 2nd appointment slot in day). I don't wish her ill but I do hope that she or the business ownership portions of her group read this and focus on better 1 on 1 care with their patients from the MD perspective as it is losing them business (x2 patients in me and my wife). One bad visit can be a bad day - 2 bad visits ehhh ok. 3 bad visits is enough of a sample size to say I'll shop somewhere else.

flag | Submitted October 7, 2014

I came to South Hills Family Med as a new patient having ignored my health for the past 20 years or so. Dr. Monica Chopra made me feel welcome to her practice and didn't berate me for ignoring my health for the last 2 decades. she did a great physical exam, ordered all the blood work that needed (got me to schedule a colonoscopy-which probably saved my life!)...and treated my back pain with a script for meds plus PT..this stopped the agony that I was experiencing plus it gave me a longterm plan (PT); I'm guessing that I'll need more back tests, but I'm confident that Dr. Chopra will see me thru this..there is/are no better doctors ub PA

flag | Submitted May 19, 2012

I went in with a horrible stomach ache and she would not give me any medication for it. She said, I kid you not, "I'm scared your other doctor will get mad at me." I literally thought she was joking. Her knowledge of medications is slim to none and I wonder how she got the job she has. My other doctor's office was closed and I was relying on Dr. Chopra to give me something for the horrible pain I was in. I ended up getting in contact, luckily, with another doctor who gave me a prescription without batting an eyelash. I will never return to see her again. What a waste of $25.00 that I don't have.

flag | Submitted May 15, 2012

Dr. Chopra has been a great doctor for me; she's focused and really smart, but she takes the time to listen.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2011

I was furious that my pharmacist was called (without asking my permission) while I was at my appt. and asked the last time I had a narcotic filled. I never went back.

flag | Submitted June 14, 2011

I just saw this doctor and she was awesome. I had a nagging problem that had been bothering me for weeks and she diagnosed and treated it quickly. Dr. Chopra is easy to talk to and actually listens to me. Everyone in the office is friendly and supportive.

flag | Submitted June 9, 2010

Dr. Monica Chopra is the best doctor in the city of Pittsburgh. She is kind, caring, and very smart.

flag | Submitted February 5, 2010

I never liked going to the doctor; being a guy who would rather ignore a problem instead of fixing it. Dr. Chopra is different; she is friendly, knowledgeable, just a great doctor. Very easy to talk to, professional, but puts you at easy immediately.

flag | Submitted February 1, 2009

Very samrt, professional and caring. Makes you feel at ease and in good hands

flag | Submitted April 4, 2008

Young, very smart but easy to talk to and treats you like you are her most important patient of the day. None finer.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2007

Dr. Monica I. Chopra's Credentials

• Hindi

• Wright State University School Of Medicine (Grad. 2003)

Healthnet