Ratings for Dr. Mary Soper

Dr. Soper retired in Feb of this year (2012). She recommended her patients stay with the other two OBGYNs in her practice, Dr. Gallagher & Dr. Lund.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2012

As some of the reviews below stated Dr. Soper is a little abrasive at first. She is very blunt and to the point which I grew to appreciate but as a hormonal pregnant woman I did leave her office a few times in tears. My husband and I did the Bradley Method classes and we heard if we wanted a natural childbirth then Dr. Soper is who we needed to go with. Dr. Soper was very respectful of our birth plan and when we had to stray from our birth plan she explained the complications. I am overweight and was induced at 41 weeks and 1 day due to a rising blood pressure. I was in labor with and pushed for several hours before it was determined that I needed a c-section. I would not have trusted any other doctor to make that call. I grew to love Dr. Soper through out my pregnancy and would deliver our other future children with her as well if she wasn't retiring. Also the mother and baby ward at Methodist is OUTSTANDING!

flag | Submitted February 27, 2012

Dr.Soper is a class act.With my 1st pregnancy I used an OB office that had 4 OB's that rotated constantly.The entire office was poorly run and chaotic.With my 2nd pregnancy I knew I wanted something different.Dr. Soper was the answer to my prayers.She is definitely no nonsense.She is very professional and doesn't sugar coat anything,but she is VERY good at what she does.My first birth ended up being an emergency C-section(they didn't know she was breech until I was dialated to 10 cm and ready to push),with my 2nd I had the natural birth that I so planned on and wanted.Not once did any of the nurses or Dr.Soper even suggest drugs.Had I requested them,I'm certain they would have accommodated my request,but natural is the way I really wanted to go.It was the most horribly wonderful experience of my life.In that order.Very professional office staff,very professional nurses,and a top notch Dr. I HIGHLY recommend Dr.Soper.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2011

I went to Dr. Soper back in May of this year for the first time and she's been my OBGYN ever since. I have a primary care, who happens to work in the buidling directly from Dr. Soper's office, however, I am going to stick with Dr. Soper in regards to my feminine care. Anyhoo, when I met her, she filled out my family medical history for me, told me about Mirena, adv to me if I was serious about weight loss, recommended Weight Watchers and she is just STRAIGHT FORWARD, which is what we need more of in doctors today! I would recommend her to ANYONE!

flag | Submitted December 22, 2010

she is very straight forward and yet very thorough. She doesn't come off at first as a very friendly person, but she is a genious and most of them arent!! However once you get to know her personality it's almost fun to see what she'll say next!! I LOVE her and thought my experience went great.

flag | Submitted July 12, 2010

Dr. Soper oversaw the deliveries of the midwives who delivered my three girls. She was attentive to any problems that arose, was very open to natural birth options, very patient, understanding and kind. When my fourth pregnancy ended in a complicated rare type of miscarriage, I was very lucky to have Dr. Soper as my doctor. It was her years of expertise that saved my life. That is priceless.

flag | Submitted June 14, 2010

I LOVE Dr. Soper. She is a no nonsense doctor. I hate it when doctors are wishy washy and don't tell you what they as a professional think is best and allow you to make the decision. Dr. Soper tells you exactly what you should do, yet you can still do otherwise, but she will let you know she advises against it. I feel like my baby has been very safe in her care. Her nurses are great too and I couldn't imagine going anywhere else. The only negative I would have is that I always end up having to wait quite a while for my appointment, but I'm sure it's because she does not rush her appointments and will answer all your questions and make you feel comfortable.

flag | Submitted August 20, 2009

I decided to change hospitals at 38wk preg and could have chosen anyone, but I picked Dr. Soper after calling the hospital and asking the on-call maternity nurses who THEY would want. I got three names, and they were Dr. Soper and the other two OBGYN's in her practice. I asked a few other questions (which DR tends to deliver her own patients, which is often out of town etc...) She "fit" with us best, and she is totally supportive of women having the childbirth experience they want. My husband was so impressed by her experience and confidence, he calls her a wise woman. She may tend to be serious rather than perky, but she has the experience and expertise to keep her Mama's safe and bring those babies safe into the world. Her office walls are covered with pictures (tiny 2" cutout photos) of all the babies she has delivered, it's like murals. This is what she does, and she is GREAT at it. I trust her with my life and the lives of my babies (she's delivered two for me, so far).

flag | Submitted March 4, 2009

I had a fantastic natural water birth with Dr. Soper. She was highlly respectful of me, and was very concerned that I got the birthing experience I wanted. Not many OB/GYNs have a copy of "Spiritual Midwifery" in their offices, but Dr. Soper is certainly respectful of normal birthing.

flag | Submitted January 7, 2009

Dr Soper was not my doctor but was also forced upon us b/c our doctor was on vacation. I was trying for a natural birth but dilating slowly. She did not even come into the hospital until 12 hrs after I was admitted. When she finally did come in she did not even check me, just ordered pitocin. After I had fully dilated, she came and checked on me 2x while I pushed. The baby showed no signs of distress and I was fine but she decided I had to have a C-section b/c it was taking too long. I could see my baby's head in the mirror and even my OB nurse said I just needed a little more time to push. She shoved the paper work in my face, said I needed to have a C-section, while I was crying told me the release was standard and with any procedure I could die (in those oh so gentle words). I saw her maybe 3x the entire time I was in labor. She was rude, abrasive, did not seem to care about me or my situation at all. I would also recommend running if she walks into your hospital room!

flag | Submitted March 10, 2008

Dr. Mary Soper's Credentials

• Indiana University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1975)

Workers Comp