Ratings for Dr. Jay Y. Chun

From pre-op to post-op, the entire staff has been wonderful. I am truly fortunate to have been treated by Dr Chun and his staff.

flag | Submitted September 29, 2017

Very satisfied. Dr was able to explain the scans and made me feel better re possible condition

flag | Submitted September 7, 2017

Dr. Chun gave a very thorough explanation of my back problem. He showed me on my MRI exactly where there were bulges and narrowing of the spin.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2017

Pleasant friendly staff Dr Chun was attentive to my issue and simply explained what could be done to help me

flag | Submitted June 8, 2017

Dr. Chun is very knowledgeable, straightforward and clear in the explanation of options as well consequences associated with each such option. Once I selected surgery, he worked very hard to schedule it asap. The surgery provided desired corrections and pain relieve. Overall v-satisfied.

flag | Submitted June 1, 2017

Always pleasant and professional , good communication and willing to answer questions .

flag | Submitted May 24, 2017

Someone had recommended Dr. Chun to me, so when I met him, I was surprised at his pompous, full-of-himself attitude. He charged me $300 for a consultation regarding my chronic back issues. I was told on the phone prior to the appt that Dr. Chun would be spending at least 30 minutes with me, but in actuality, he only spent 6-8 minutes with me, at the most! I had brought him an MRI, which I had done elsewhere, for him to review. He said he reviewed it, but I saw it on the desk, still in its case. Maybe he reviewed it before he met with me? In any case, he gave me NO advice except to try shots. Long story short, I begrudgingly paid the $300 for my tiny useless appointment, went home and then realized he never gave me my MRI disk back. I called them immediately and a couple times after that, but they said they don't have it. UGH!!! That was about 3 weeks ago. So, this morning I went to my primary care doctor for an unrelated medical issue, and Dr. Chun had forwarded them a copy of his report from the consultation, which was fine. However, the report consisted of a cover letter and 3 pages of God knows what. The nurse practitioner read me a few sentences of it. He wrote things like, "met with the patient and the family and discussed all the options for treatment", etc. Met with family? What family...I went by myself! I know the doctors drum up reports for the insurance companies to justify their ridiculous fees, but to hear some of the stuff he wrote was upsetting, because it was obviously made up! I'm done with doctors.

flag | Submitted February 25, 2015

I was referred to him for a spinal nerve sheath, and my appointment with him ranks as one of the worst experiences in my life. He was not interested in certain symptoms I'd been having that may have been relevant, was dismissive of my questions, and then, when I asked him what he would recommend, gave the most terrifying, worst-case description of the surgery one could imagine. He never once said anything reassuring (for example, that these tumors are most often benign and the fact that it hadn't grown in the last month was good news). He did not clarify what was on the MRI nor show me what was happening on the model of the spine sitting on the counter. He did not give me any perspective as to whether this was a common procedure or whether mine was more complicated because of the tumor's location. I stood up and walked out after 15 minutes; he seemed surprised that I found his manner outrageous. It's possible he's a fine surgeon, but I certainly would never deal with anyone who seemed so callous and uncaring about his patient.

Submitted November 4, 2014

I was suffering extreme pain from sever spinal stenosis for 2 years. The pain radiated down my left leg to my foot and I could barely walk. When I met with Dr. Jay Chun he reviewed my MRI and immediately advised me that he could help me return to a normal life and relieve my pain. He suggested that this could be accomplished by minimally invasive spinal surgery which could be conducted through a small incision in my back. He explained the surgery in detail and arranged for pain medication and two weeks later the surgery was scheduled. The surgery went very well and only required an overnight stay in the hospital. I am now 3 weeks into my recovery and doing extremely well, I even did a brief workout on the treadmill this week. I am so happy with the results of the operation as the pain from the spinal stenosis is gone. What more can someone ask of their Doctor, he indeed is amazing.

flag | Submitted May 30, 2012

Patient had a major stroke, after only 4 days in hospital and being heavily sedated Chun wanted to remove half of patients brain because they weren't responding quickly enough. Wanted to do process even though it would not improve patients condition. Medicateions being given had side effects of extreme fatigue, confusion, and were in conflict with other medications being administered. Patient improved drastically after meds removed upon discovery of med conflict and demanded removal by family members. No bedside manner, called patients spouse and said this over the phone, should have done so in face to face consultation. Doc refused to meet with family upon request. Nurses on staff even agreed with patients family. Avoid this doctor at all costs.!!!!

flag | Submitted March 2, 2011

Dr. Jay Y. Chun's Credentials

• Columbia School Of Medicine (Grad. 1997)

Medicaid / Medi-Cal