Ratings for Dr. Michael B. Shapiro

I did not have the chance to thank Dr. Sharpiro for helping me. Ladydi

flag | Submitted September 7, 2017

Dr. Shapiro was always late for his appointments or canceled last minute. I waited over 90 minutes on 2 occassions( I was in so much pain I had to wait) He barely sees or speaks to you . Maybe I got 3 minutes with him. He rushes you out of the office. I tried to ask questions but vague answers if any. Paperwork was never completely timely. He was too busy rushing out to talk to his assistant or on phone. His assistant was no better. I wish I never started seeing him. I'm told hes on medical leave since 2016. I'm looking for another doctor. The front desk staff is always nasty. I could be standing in front of them and they ignored me. The staff is always rushing

flag | Submitted June 9, 2017

I had L5-S1 spinal fusion done by Dr.Shapiro. He is a very nice man but professionally he falls short in many ways. He does not explain things well. Rushes you in and out of the office not really answering any inquiries I had. I was his first patient on day of surgery and I happened to see him walk into hospital thinking to myself he looked like he was up the whole night partying . I was told that after surgery I would be able to return to work in 3 months.. it took almost 2 years before I made the attemp to return. I actually have more pain and mobility issues than I did before the surgery. The Dr. Had no problem writing scripts for pain. I took more meds afterwards than I did before the surgery. Its now 2017 .. 4 years later and I regret having the surgery done. I recently went back to try and get an appointment with him only to find out that he no longer practices dur to him being out on medical leave...

flag | Submitted March 24, 2017

Dr. Michael shapiros bed side manors are awful. Couldn't even shake a patients hand after consult. Least helpful doctor ever. Will never see again hate this doctor.

flag | Submitted October 12, 2015

Doctor Michael B. Shapiro is the best of the best in the field of Orthopedic Spine Surgery, and the only surgeon I have trusted to do 2 spinal fusions. I highly recommend Dr. Shapiro to anybody who is having back/neck/spine problems, as they will receive a prompt, timely appointment and a thorough evaluation from Dr. Shapiro and his highly competent P.A., Jason Henke.

flag | Submitted August 14, 2014

I recommend him if you need surgery but don't care about the follow-up or aftercare you receive. As other have mentioned (look on other rating sites), you wait hours (1-2) for a short face to face, only to be told that your pain will go away eventually. Really??? Guess what, 4 years later and it's NOT going away. Pretty sad that I have to find a different doctor after all this time, simply because Shapiro is so dismissive of anything that doesn't showcase his surgical skills. When I do eventually have my surgery, it definitely won't be with him as I like a doctor who will support the patient through the process..not just to the post-op room.

flag | Submitted March 8, 2011

I was fortunate to see Dr. Shapiro as a third opinion regarding the need for surgery. I decided to have the surgery Dr. Shapiro recommended which was a lesser alternative and I have had complete relief in pain. I am happy to have had him and would recommend him to anyone who would like an excellent result.

flag | Submitted April 12, 2010

Have to agree, Dr. Shapiro is a great surgeon but sometimes not a great doctor. When he isn't rushing you out of the room, he's good..but...the norm is a few minutes face to face and then leaving the visit feeling dismissed, rushed and having unanswered questions. It's a shame because he's generally a nice guy and a great surgeon but I think the desire to push patients through is more important then patient care at Orlin & Cohen...and that's not necessarily all Dr. Shapiro's fault.

flag | Submitted March 23, 2010

Was originally a patient of his 5 years ago and back then he was really wonderful. Recently had severe back pain and had to go back. After waiting 2 1/2 hours, he spent 2 minutes telling me my disk was shot and it's not uncommon. He told me to only get pain med from him, so when I ran out I called him. TOOK 3 DAYS TO GET A RESPONSE FROM HIS OFFICE, sorry no you have to wait 2 weeks because of how he wrote the script!!! Obviously he has gotten too big for his britches as it was easier to get in touch with the Head of Neurosurgery @ Memorial Sloane Kettering in NYC than this Shapiro!! How sad is that??? I am terribly dissapointed in the complete lack of patient care. He might be great as a surgeon, but is pretty useless as a doctor. I'd recommend AGAINST ORLIN & COHEN unless you want to be treated like cattle!!!

flag | Submitted March 9, 2010

STAFF VERY HARRIED, WAITED ABOUT A HALF HOUR. HE LOOKED AT MY MRI AND OFFERED NO SUGGESTIONS OTHER THAN EXERCISE AND IBUPRPHEN. MY MRI REPORT SHOWS SPINAL STENOSIS,BULGING DISKS AND ARTHRITIC SPURS. SO I WENT ELSE WHERE FOR HELP

flag | Submitted May 3, 2009

Dr. Michael B. Shapiro's Credentials

• New York Medical College (Grad. 1995)

Secure Horizons