Ratings for Dr. Jay A. Van Gerpen

Worst doctor I have ever had...including the dentist that overdosed me. He is a rude, condescending narcissist who doesn't listen to your concerns at all. After 1 visit and a few tests (no follow up), 4 months later he said nothing was wrong. After I told him (through Mayo messaging service) that I had numerous new symptoms, he said "I'm comforted by the results of your tests," his favorite saying to brush you aside. After the final 'report' came out, I told him (again messaging service) that he didn't even discuss one of my abnormal results and that another abnormal result (dismissed because of my BMI) was incorrect (miscalculated BMI). I asked why the results were dismissed(message service...catching the trend??). His response? "I'm comforted by the results of your tests." I work with a lot of PhDs and MDs and I can tell in my field when someone has all of the "qualifications" but nothing beyond the degrees. I am not in neurology, but he has the classic signs of one of them.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2013

Feel very fortunate to had been seen by this extraordinary professional and gentleman. He offered undivided attention as well as genuine concern. I left, feeling so much better about my future and reassured I will be in the best of care.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2013

Most unprofessional doctor I have ever met. Babbles jokes that are humiliating than misdiagnosed me. Had to go to another doctor who was more serious and addressed my condition. Turns out I could have died.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2013

aftter spending loads of money. He hasnot followed up with a summary or a diagnosis. It has been months now with out a word from him and I have been calling his office on a weekly basis.

flag | Submitted August 6, 2009

My own personal opinion of this doctor is that he uses "old" school ideas. When I first met him after he looked at all my tests he said, I have a couple of ideas as to what is wrong. Then had a surprised look on his face and said, you are a woman, I thought you were a man. Since I have a name that is like a males. In my eyes that CHANGED his whole thought process. One of those doctors who seems to assume a young woman with any problem has to be a mental issue." old school". He proceeded with his exam at the end did not bother to tell me "his couple of ideas" as to what was wrong.I had went to him because I was having episodes that looked like seizures, but would leave me un able to speak well and would make my left arm and leg weak and hard to do fine motor skills with my left hand and the vision in my left eye would be messed up for 1 hour to 1 week after episodes. He put down I was referred for confusion n slurred speech. I was told it was a mental problem.My spine is deteriorating

flag | Submitted October 25, 2007

Dr. Jay A. Van Gerpen's Credentials

• Vanderbilt University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1993)