Ratings for Dr. Michael G. Sugarman

I had 4level cervical spin surgery in 2004 hard collar 1 month soft collar 5 months lots of pain do not recommend 4 levels . But I tell you this if I could clone him he be in naples fl.with me now for my lower back issues. From frank i.God bless the the sugar daddy. the recommend 4 levels for any one

flag | Submitted November 9, 2017

He was wonderful, with a great sense of humor. He came to see me immediately after my MRI, explained everything to me, and spent lots of time with me, since I was alone in the hospital and completely on my own. I was terrified and he popped in to calm my fears. What a great guy!

flag | Submitted July 14, 2017

Dr. Sugarman has performed 3 very successful surgeries for my stenosis in the past 5 years-- always seeking other non-invasive treatment first. Although I have had to wait a while at my appointments, it has been because he was callout or held up at the hospital. He has been very thorough and a concerned doctor. Before each surgery, I have been consulted by either his PA or himself. After each surgery, Dr. Sugarman has spoken to my waiting family about my surgery and condition. In the evening of the surgery, Dr. Sugarcane and his PA both came to my hospital room to talk to me about post surgery care and answered all my questions. All of my surgical results have been successful.

flag | Submitted February 17, 2017

I saw Dr. Sugarman in February 2015, I had to wait a very long time to be seen. The office staff is anything BUT friendly or helpful. I am on Medicaid for the first time in my life & I'm 60 years old. I paid for private insurance for 38 years. I am being treated like a second class citizen. I had such tremendous back & left leg pain I couldn't work. I went to see if anything could help. He suggested a major surgery (my 2nd, 1st not by him). I agreed. Scheduled for surgery in March. Late in March his office sent a letter cancelling my surgery, I didn't have the right Medicaid. So I had to cancel the surgery & couldn't reschedule until May. All the time I wasn't working. I was told I would be back on my feet in a month. I didn't have an a follow-up appointment from surgery for 6 weeks. His NP came in, I didn't see him, I explained all the pain I was in since surgery & asked why wasn't back on my feet, pain so bad I couldn't go up & down steps, much less go to work. I was told I wasn't given the realistic expectations & I should wait 2-3 MORE months & start PT. He wouldn't treat my pain, sent me to Pain Management. They barely gave me medication to deal with it. He washed his hands of me at 6 weeks status post surgery. It is now October, I had to return to work financially. I did see him in September & he said I wasn't ready for work, but I had no choice. I am working in retail. I am in such pain but I am there. No medication. I am not writing due to no medication, but to warn you that you will be treated differently on Medicaid no matter if desperate times put you in need. I feel like I am NEVER going to get better & be pain with out getting better & never getting better. He lied when he said he can help me & dropped me as a real patient when I didn't respond to the surgery. 1 person in the office helped me and she is the precert area. Please save yourself the pain, neglect & not getting better situation. Go somewhere else.

flag | Submitted October 5, 2015

This Dr. Is always late, you end up sitting in the waiting room for hours to see him. The staff that works for him never responds to there phone messages until days later.i had three disc in my back that needed surgery, Sugarman did two, and my life has been a constant pain ever sense. I would never recommend this guy to anyone. My opinion is to search for another Dr. And stay far away from this guy.

flag | Submitted July 25, 2014

Operated in 96. Dr S was my 2nd opinion after being treated poorly by Dr Bose. Seemed knowledgeable and a good guy at least I could understand him. Surgery was very bad. Supposed to be 4-5 hours ~ turned into over 13. He cut my spinal cord and had to do repair. Came out of surgery with nerve damage and numbness that still plagues me today in my rt arm -- from lumbar surgery - said it was from positioning. Was to be a 3-4 day stay in hospital. Couldn't walk for over 2-1/2 weeks. Finally got home to discover MRSA virus in my spine. Another operation to open my back and debride it 3 times a day for the next 2+ months. Had me jacked up on dilaudid, morphine and antibiotics for the duration of hospital stay. Finally got out and when I had more trouble, sent me to ER where antibiotics were changed giving me full body rash 2 weeks later. Infectious disease Dr changed meds and saved my life ~ No thanks to Dr Sugarman. I later heard he claims to be a marathon surgeon. NEVER AGAIN...

flag | Submitted May 7, 2013

Went to Dr. Sugarman for a 2nd opinion after finding out I needed a cervical fusion. My appt was at 11:30 - did not get seen until 4:00! While I hear he is a top notch surgeon, when i finally was seen by him (for all of 10 minutes), his bedside manner and humanity were just not there. Very cut and dry procedurally to the point where I was very nervous about having the procedure at all. Ending up going to Abington and Dr. Barrer did my surgery. The hospital and staff were amazing. Now, i'm faced with having another and because Abington is 2 hours away, i decided to try a different surgeon. Sugarman's office has a rule that once you see one of their doctors, even if you don't use them, you cannot see another. What a bunch of crap. So, yes, the top team of neurosurgeons and because of their sanctimonious rule, i'm now faced with having to use a less desirable surgeon..nice..NOT..

flag | Submitted May 8, 2011

Let me tell you!! Dr. Michael Sugarman is a lifesaver. In 2005, my 20 year old son had a Stage IV Glioblastoma Multiforme brain tumor. Dr. Irving Berkowitz was the first doc to handle my David's case. He too was a wonderful doctor; the best. Dr. Sugarman was recommended by Dr. B. This very competent neurosurgeon helped to save my son. He removed the tumor in an emergency surgery which lasted a total of 6.5 hours. I love this man. He is the epitome of a great physician. I admit you sometimes have to wait 30+ minutes to see him, but the wait is worth it. He is very thorough and exact. I know that when we go into his office, we will received the same treatment as the person before us. Why are you looking for someone to talk to you about the weather and what you plan to do on your vacation. Dr. S is much too busy to hold long, boring conversations with you knowing he has another important patient waiting for him. My advice to you: find another doc. I'll take him every time.

flag | Submitted May 5, 2011

Dr. Sugarman is never on time. Waits have been from 45 mins. to a couple of hrs. He is a good surgeon and has worked on several people I know, however, if you want some type of copassion/bedside manner you'll not find it here. If you have Worker's Comp - don't bother!! You'll be treated with disdain as if you were untruthful. He made fun of the radiologist who read and made the report of MRI's taken saying he didn't know what he was talking about? Dr.S. said he couldn't see the MRI's well, but we could still nerve block here to see if it helps and if not we could do one there and...WHAT? Two other neurosurgeons read it well and concurred with the radiologist. I was told later by a former patient of Sugarman's that Dr. S. told them he didn't "fool with worker's comp" he felt it was a waste of his time when he "could actually be doing some good for real patients". So if you are hurt at work or maybe an accident that may need him in court? STAY AWAY - you're not a real patient in his mind

flag | Submitted February 6, 2010

I believe that Dr. Sugarman should review his appointment scheduling system. I had a 1:30 appointment, and was finally called to go to an exam room at 4:30. Then I spent 45 minutes waiting in the exam room before he came in. I think that a 3 hour 45 minute wait is excessive. Other patients in the main waiting room, who had also been there for hours, felt the same. I was told by a receptionist that Dr. Sugarman allots 30 minutes per patient, and he, "sometimes gets behind." No kidding! I think that 30 minutes per patient smacks of overbooking. I've heard that Dr. Sugarman is an excellent surgeon, and I was favorably impressed with his knowledge and attention to my problems, once I was able to get to see him. To his credit, he made a point of apologizing for the long wait; however, I would suggest that if you are going to see him, you should try to make an early morning appointment.

flag | Submitted March 19, 2008

Dr. Michael G. Sugarman's Credentials

• George Washington Univ Sch Of Med & Hlth Sci, Washington Dc 20037 (Grad. 1984)

Top Hospitals in Newark, DE