Ratings for Dr. Thomas M. Coon

I saw Dr. Coon for less than ten minutes for diagnosis. I never saw him again until six weeks after surgery. He didn't see me prior to surgery, didn't come in after surgery and never came to any of the follow up appointments until the last when he had bronchitis and couldn't do surgery. He didn't even seem to recognize me. I was sent home the next morning of the surgery with an expensive and largely worthless ice machine which required an able person to operate and fill. A bag of frozen peas was better. Then I started having an allergic reaction to the pain meds. Had I stayed in the hospital another day, I'd have had medical help, but instead, I was only able to speak with a nurse at the Coon Institute who told me to stop lyrica. When that did no good, she said to stop all pain killers and call my own doctor....gee, I thought Dr. Coon was my doctor for this surgery! He can't be bothered to deal with patients. No one called to check on me. So, when I returned for my follow up visit, there was just the physician's assistant who was also unaware of the allergy to the meds. No one had even bothered to chart it. Care at the hospital was mediocre and the physical therapist merely watched me walk down a hall, no flexing therapy at all. It should be noted that Dr. Coon does not get any home therapy even for the first weeks after surgery. The patient is supposed to do for herself and then manage to get out to a therapist. I live alone and no accommodation was considered for any form of home assistance. This might interfere with the narrative that everyone's recovery is so speedy. Patients are literally threatened with having to be anesthetized for knee manipulation if their flexing is not in the exact degrees Dr. Coon expects in a specific number of days. The surgery itself went well. While my leg was numb from just above the ankle to above the knee (also black and blue), after three years, only the knee itself is numb. Maybe feeling will come back. While I realize a hip replacement is easier, I have to add that I had that done by Dr. Briant Smith at Santa Rosa Sutter where I could not have been treated better if I were the First Lady. Dr. Smith was there before surgery, after surgery, came in to check each day as well. I had two days in the hospital to regulate meds; I had several physical therapy sessions, home therapy starting the day I got home, and I saw Dr. Smith at each follow up. I need another knee and I'll be getting it at Sutter with Dr. Smith.

flag | Submitted September 18, 2017

I can't disagree with the comments about Dr. Coon and his factory. My late father who was not ambulatory (in a wheel chair) due to the severely damaged (arthritis) bilateral (both) knees, went all the way from Florida to California trusting this man. No Dr. would have performed both knees within a 30 day window. Unfortunately, our father never walked due to his severely deconditioned state. The therapists at he Shasta Rehab center even questioned how they replaced a second knee when he was not walking on the first replaced knee. The severe dependence on pain killers caused liver cirrhosis (on a man that never touched alcohol or had Hepatitis), eventually causing his vital organs to fail and resulting in his passing away 18 months later. Very unfortunate for our family. We are not litigious, even with an attorney in the family. We decided that the good lord will eventually give Dr. Coon what he deserves. May God bless him and his family.

flag | Submitted November 16, 2015

This Dr. performed my TKR in 2009 that, due to neglect and his assembly line methods, went very, very wrong. When confronted Dr. Coon's, with a straight face, stated the following: 'I replace 10 knees every day before lunch! I simply don't have outcomes like yours!' He then proceeded to write me off entirely. I was initially impressed with what I believed to be an expression of healthy self confidence. It was revealed too late for the profound ARROGANCE that it actually was. 'Dr.' Coons is an egomaniacle BUTCHER concerned exclusively with his own self promotion. A souless, selfegrandizing glory hound utterly indifferent to those whose lives he so thouroughly destroys. In constant pursuit of the limelight at the expense of anyone foolish enough to place their trust in him. This was without question the most horrific experience of my entire life. A nightmare that will never end. I wouldn't wish him on my absolute worst enemy! AVOID THIS MAN!

flag | Submitted November 13, 2014

Dr. Coon was the coldest, least caring doctor I have ever dealt with. He performed a uni- knee on me in 2002. It failed within 3 weeks and I had to have a revision to a total knee performed in San Diego. I would NEVER recommend him as a physician or human being.

flag | Submitted June 12, 2012

My mother, age 83, just had knee replacement that went perfectly. She was home in 2 days and walking with no walker or cane in 7 days. Stark contrast to her 1st knee replacement in another city with another doctor. Highly recommend!

flag | Submitted September 8, 2008

excellent surgeon

flag | Submitted May 2, 2007

Dr. Thomas M. Coon's Credentials

• Ohio State University College Of Medicine (Grad. 1982)