Ratings for Dr. James M. Bonanno

Probably the worst care I have ever received in my life. I saw Dr. Bonanno for over a year with symptoms that turned out to be gall bladder disease. He was sure that the symptoms were from stress, despite swollen glands, vomiting, and intense pain after eating. After a visit to an emergency room,I was informed that I was close to liver failure. An intern properly diagnosed my illness and probably saved my life. Gall bladder surgery was scheduled but was complicated by the degree of infection due to the long duration of the illness (despite multiple visits to Dr. Bonanno). When I called Dr. Bonanno's office to tell him about the ER visit and surgery, neither he nor his office even bothered to return my call. When I made appointments to see him for follow up, I showed up on two separate dates only to discover that he was out of the office both days. No reason, no apology. Inexcusably poor medicine and poor patient care. I would not recommend that anyone see him for care.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2014

He seemed cold and arrogant to me. I always felt dismissed and discounted when I saw him. I really wanted to like him and tried for several years but finally had to cop to the facts that I did not feel that he was providing the best care and that I was uncomfortable around him. It always felt that cost cutting rather than patient care was his major priority. I'm all for containing costs and conserving resources ... no unnecessary tests and all that. Caution is one thing. Skimping is another. It felt like he skimped. His staff was great and one reason I stayed as long as I did was the outstanding quality of the staff, especially the nurse who worked with him. She was as friendly and concerned as he was cold and distant. As I said I wanted to like him and feel comfortable but after a few years I knew it wasn't gonna happen. BTW, I gave my new doc a rave review elsewhere on this site.

flag | Submitted October 14, 2009

Have been a patient for a couple of years now. Was good. Recently has declined. Failed to inform specialist of history of referred problem when he stated that he would. Last physical did fewer tests than normal, including hernia check and fecal blood test. Lab work is now outside of Beth Israel, so specialists cannot see the results on line via the PatientSite application. Does not communicate the results of tests. He should mail a report for patient records. Front staff is new and poorly organized. I have to monitor the management of my care.

flag | Submitted June 9, 2009

Dr. Bonnano is always punctual and freely discusses any issues. Takes time with patients and is never rushed. Always follows through

flag | Submitted May 4, 2009

I have been a patient of Dr. Bonanno's for well over a decade. I have nothing but good things to say about him. The appointments are always punctual, he takes a genuine interest in my concerns without any judgment, and is very thorough. I have recommended him to several friends and will continue to do so.

flag | Submitted October 23, 2008

I've gone to Dr. Bonanno for several years now and I find him extremely easy to talk to, knowledgeable and non-judgemental. He is always very thorough and makes sure that everything has been clearly explained. Without being pushy, he has encouraged me towards smarter health choices and I trust his judgement incredibly. I'm so glad he's my doctor!

flag | Submitted May 15, 2008

I and my spouse have been very long term patients of Dr. Bonanno. He is caring, thorough, and committed to your wellbeing. He LISTENS - something lacking in other doctors. When I don't have any current health issues at check-ups, I am sometimes amused that he fills up the time with whatever health issue may fill the void -- e.g. wearing seat belts! I don't understand the negative responses from others who have rated Dr. B because I feel fortunate to have been associated with him all these years.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2008

Dr. Bonanno spent 12 minutes w/ me on a complete physical. didn't ask about family history. arrogant and perfunctory. doesn't follow-up on tests. regret ever going to him

flag | Submitted May 7, 2007

Dr. Bonano is kind and genuinely interested in me as a patient. His support staff is great, too -- punctual, caring, good humored, efficient. I feel like I talk about any health related concerns with him.

flag | Submitted December 4, 2006

Dr. Bonanno is quick to prescribe meds. Has ZERO personality. Cold and aloof. Tries to explain things clearly. Seems to know his stuff. Does not hesitate to refer me to a specialist.

flag | Submitted November 22, 2006

Dr. James M. Bonanno's Credentials

• Umdnj-New Jersey Medical School (Grad. 1988)