Ratings for Dr. Phillip T. Cohen

If I could give less stars I would! This is the worst psychiatrist! Spends less than 3 minutes with you and will only give one prescription monthly BUT ONLY AFTER YOU SEE HIM ON A MONTHLY ROTATING BASIS! Go ahead and see. Most Doctors, if it's an ongoing issue like anxiety, will write you refills so you don't have to keep coming in and running up your co-pay bill and they don't bilk your insurance. Not this guy! No psychiatrist NEEDS to see you every single month! That's unheard of for anxiety. You might have to see a psychiatrist several times a year to get meds right for depression or something, but when your issue is established for anxiety long before him and he wants 12 VISITS PER YEAR, it's a scam!! Once a month is 12 visits. No one see's a Psychiatrist 12 times in a year! I've never even heard of that! The time and money it takes to schedule these appointments but then...to him, no visit to bilk insurance for himself means he won't give you the refill you desperately need which has the worst withdrawal effects one could ever have to go off anti- anxiety meds cold turkey! DO NOT GO TO THIS GUY!

flag | Submitted January 11, 2017

Dr Cohen is simply working to make money. His 15 minute appointments don't last 15 minutes. He insists on you coming in every month, even if you've been stable for months. I initially really appreciated his candor and to the point style, as my time is limited too and I just want to hear what I need (vs what I want to hear) but many times I felt that was a fail as I'm not sure I received what I actually need. Sadly, YOU ARE A TRANSACTION and simply that. A means to an end, to make more money. He cycles you in, gives you a script and you leave. That's it. So very disappointing. I was hopeful his direct style would contain actual help, versus just an RX and a kick out the door. I gave him all 1 stars. His staff, who you never see, seem ok. And he is prompt, but since those ratings add up to a "3 star" and he warrants nothing more than a 1, I'm giving all 1's. He's not worth YOUR time or energy.

flag | Submitted November 1, 2016

Needed up update my previous rating for this doctor. The negative review a bit unjustified. I was frustrated with my diagnosis I had received not to long before seeing this doctor. I was expecting to be treated with white gloves, so to speak. Dr. Cohen is no-nonsense, for sure, but I called after hours and left a message for him about some side effects I was experiencing on some new medication and he returned my call first thing the next morning. He gave me some good advise on how I can relieve some of the side effects and asked I keep him posted. I'm unable to remove my last rating, but I'm hoping this one makes up for it. If you're looking for a doctor to baby you, keep looking. If you're looking for a doctor that will tell you what you NEED to hear, he's the one. I'm going to stick with him.

flag | Submitted June 23, 2015

Looks like it's been a couple of years since someone rated Dr. (and I use this term loosely) Cohen. Went in for an ADD evaluation. He only spent about 10 min with me. He didn't to ask for any past medical history, and when I told mentioned my symptoms, he got up, went in his closet and pulled out a 30 day sample pack of pills. He didn't tell me anything about the medication, as far as side effects I might experience, or when I could expect to see results. He just said come back in one month and rushed me out the back door. I called him a couple of days later to see if I had the option of switching medication and he said no, i have to tough it out, and there were no other options. Terrible, terrible, terrible. Avoid this guy.

flag | Submitted June 19, 2015

I've seen Dr. Cohen on and off for several years. I wonder if what some people say is rude is really just calling them on their BS. Dr Cohen saved my marriage several years ago by pointing out my unrealistic expectations. He didn't beat around the bush and got me thinking right away. I've never felt rushed through an appointment and he did take a medical history when I started going there.

flag | Submitted November 14, 2013

Doctor is not empathetic, does not take time in appointments, unresponsive to questions about medication and can be very rude. Find a doctor who is kind, empathetic, knowledgeable,competent AND treats the people who pay his/her bills with respect. Bypass this doctor.

flag | Submitted August 29, 2009

Kept giving me depression medicine when I clearly only have anxiety. Loved racking up my insurance money every 2 weeks. Appointments were only 2-5 minutes every time. Seriously, not a very good doctor...

flag | Submitted March 11, 2009

Same as below. No medical history performed, no pharma history asked for, just a prescription and a five minute appointment. This doctor also requires you to come back every month for your medicine regardless of how long you have been taking it and the lack of any changes. I have been on the same meds for years but had to change psychiatrist due to insurance change. Previous psychiatrist allowed me to come in every three months after it was clear I was having no side effects and that the medication was working. Dr. Cohen requires every month so he can bill $200 to the insurance company for a 5 minute (sometimes less) visit.

flag | Submitted March 5, 2009

I had the same exact experience as the other two reviewers. I brought my daughter in for an evaluation. He never spoke one word to my daughter. He never asked for a medical history. He never did an evaluation. He listened to me for a very short while, then he insulted me and my husband (who was not present) and then he handed me a very strong prescription for my young child. When I tried to ask questions he hurried me out the door and said to come back in a month. We were in there a matter of minutes and he billed my insurance company hundreds of dollars. My daughter cried for hours due to the insults he slung our way. Such complaints should be filed with the state licensing board.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2008

Exactly as prev reviewer - Short and arrogant. Appt was for my 9yr old. 1st time ever to a pyschiatrist. Visit lasted 5 minutes - he didnt evaluate or even speak to her. Gave us prescription without even talking to us about side effects or what things to watch for. I would imagine if this is a 1st appt - he would want to speak to her, her psychologist to get additional background info. Didnt even acknowledge that she was in the room. Very arrogant attitude. I wish i had seen the prev review before my appt. Would have saved time and money. Will not be going back.

flag | Submitted May 12, 2008

Dr. Phillip T. Cohen's Credentials

• Univ Of Ca, Irvine, Ca Coll Of Med, Irvine Ca 92717 (Grad. 1975)

Workers Comp