Ratings for Dr. Alexander McIntyre

if i could put no stars i would...misdiagnoses people and gets them addicted and dependant on pills they dont need and then after they have been on every drug able to prescribe and to the point and showing multiple symptoms of organ failure because they are on a lethal dose of for example "lithium" he offers to abandon patient and treatment by him.....he doesnt have patients he has guinea pigs...digusting excuse of a man thats probably why he practices out of a house now in a shady area of town rather than at the psych ward. prescribes drugs that are supposed to be short term to cope with trauma like 2weeks to a month max for oh 8+ years ones that i might add have been proven to give 90% of all the lab rats tested cancer!!!

flag | Submitted October 8, 2018

The psychiatric (sic) profession has its problems, which were fully exemplified by this outrageous quack in my experience. One essential problem is that they (usually) cannot see the organ they treat, nor do they have any direct quantitative (testing) data. Instead, they have a 300pp manual called the DSM-4, fraught with subjectivity. I thought I had these professional issues dealt with in advance, as I supplied a prior brain scan which diagnosed ADD (a low dopamine condition) and a urine test which indicated low dopamine. Also, I did very well on the ADD (or ADHD if you prefer) medications at a prior time. What I got was an epic first hand lesson in all that ails the profession. Not only did he not look at the scan images, he blew off the associated written diagnosis in the scan report with an offhand comment that there were “too many conditions” and then fatuously conflated them with the whole of the DSM 4. When I suggested that he address the ADD (top of the list of five) and that the remaining four conditions are common co-morbid conditions of ADD and may also respond in kind, he again blew me off. Nor did he look at the supplied urine test. Nor did he conduct any diagnostic line of inquiry as to whether I had ADD. Then he declared I had too much dopamine owing to other non-clinical events, contrary to any ADD condition. Then when I suggested that he contact my former doctors to clear up this gross misconception, he wouldn't. I have never met such a willfully obstructive doctor in all my life. The consult was an exercise in futility at best. I recommend Dr. McIntyre be sent back to where he came from where he can learn voodoo from the locals and perhaps attain greater patient treatment success. So if you have ADD, or think you do, run in the opposite direction for better care.

flag | Submitted May 8, 2018

Dr. \McIntyre is professional and very helpful, too

flag | Submitted April 13, 2018

Dr Mac is the best. He has always been there for me. He saved my life many years ago and will forever be greatful. I love his sense of humour. If you are dissatisfied with him then I would have to say that you are not great at hearing the truth , then you shouldn't be seeing him.

flag | Submitted October 23, 2017

I have been seeing Dr. McIntyre for four months now to treat my BPD II. During my appointments he is genuine, knowledgable and has a dry sense of humor. In helping me understand my illness he encourages accountability, in addition to having made changes to my medication which has made me feel SO MUCH BETTER. Although I have a long road before me, I am grateful he was the psychiatrist my doctor referred me to. Upon reading some reviews here, he apparently is not for everybody, but he has certainly helped me get better.

flag | Submitted April 5, 2017

Honestly I have nothing to say good about him..I was telling him I was feeling like killing my self and all he said was that's not good .Saw him every 3 months for nothing and even after he had his heart attack I was not called to reschedule app even ...Well doctor mac in the words of present elect trump....You are fired.....

flag | Submitted January 14, 2017

I've seen this doctor for some time now and while his bedside needs a little work he's a knowledgeable and direct man who wants to see you be better.

flag | Submitted December 8, 2016

Motherf***er almost killed me on more than one occasion. There's a good reason that he's so hated - YOU figure it out.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2016

Seeing doctor McIntyre changed my life for the better. For years I self medicated and experienced so many high's and low's. Hitting rock bottom many times. I had lost all hope in my self and the mental health system. I gained a lot of weight from the medication I was put on from another physiatrist that I had seen with no follow up plans. Just a quick fix and he sent me on my way. I was stuck in a  vicious circle and on a downward spiral.  I heard of doctor McIntyre through a relative that had positive results from seeing him. In my first few meetings with Dr. McIntyre he diagnosed me as being Bi Polar type 2. I tried different medication some worked for a bit and some not at all. I was a candidate for a drug study and decided to try the mood stabilizer being offered through the study. With close monitoring and support from Dr. McIntyre and Amanda (his wife) I was starting to see results. It was slow at first. I was feeling less fragile and was able to start incorporating exercise into my lifestyle. Which Dr. McIntyre encouraged with every visit from the beginning. Baby steps turned into leaps. I was able to leave my house without panic attacks. I was able to walk into a gym and start working out without paranoid thoughts of what people were thinking of me. I worked hard and lost 107lbs. Dr. McIntyre and Amanda never turned me away. They always made time. They didn't give up on me even though at times I though it was easier to give up. Dr. McIntyre was understanding and empathetic yet honest and straight forward.  If you want results I recommend Dr. McIntyre I believe he saved my life. He gave me the tools I needed to fight back and regain control. Happiness is possible even with a mental health diagnosis. As a patient we have to be proactive and put some effort in to achieve these positive results. Do your part and Dr. McIntyre will do his.  Thank you Dr. McIntyre and Amanda

flag | Submitted October 14, 2016

Saw this man when he had his office at the psych ward at PRH. Psych ward staff were awesome, but even they told me how they hated this guy, and Mac was very condescending to them in front of patients. He challenged me to "come across the table and take a swing at him". No exaggeration. Not sure if he was testing me or what. He was brutally honest in his opinions, however in my nervous-wreck state, he just put me deeper into a shell. If you are weak, stay far away.

flag | Submitted September 5, 2016