Ratings for Dr. Marc L. Benton

Dr. Benton was thorough, knowledgeable and personable. All the things I look fo in a doctor. he took the time to explain my newly diagnosed condition and made me understand the treatment and course of action in a compassionate and kind manner. I would highly recommend Dr. Benton and his sleep center to friends and family. One is already considering making an appointment.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2017

Arrogant. Condescending. If you question his methods at all he becomes extremely defensive.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2017

Dr. Benton and his staff provide me with excellent service each time I visit their office. My expectations are always exceeded. Dr. Benton sets the tone of his office with his superior work ethic, integrity, dedication and attention to detail. A seasoned professional who has been monitoring my sleep apnea for two decades, he is on an ongoing quest for excellence and always strives to achieve the highest levels of patient satisfaction. He is one of the few medical practitioners that couple expertise with compassion. Dr. Benton exudes confidence, has superior interpersonal communication skills, yet he show humility and lets his actions speak for him. And his actions speak volumes. A consummate professional I recommend Dr. Benton to anyone who has pulmonary issues. He is truly the "best of the best."

flag | Submitted February 16, 2016

If I were in a critical or emergency situation, Dr. Benton is the physician I would want there and in charge, second only to my primary care physician. Everywhere you look, it’s tangibly evident that this is a physician who has a deeply personal vision of medicine and a driving passion to provide his patients with nothing less. In fact, given his dedication to sleep medicine, I would call him something of a visionary, which I would ascribe to very few physicians I’ve met. I work in a field where we daily interact with physicians of all specialties from across the U.S. and where we seek out thought leaders, who are expert, but I wouldn’t necessarily call them visionaries. Most physicians know and are dedicated to the standards that they know should be met, especially where we live; but Dr. Benton seems to have his own true North about his practice. It’s hard to explain, really, but it’s something beyond what he learned in medical school; it’s his own internal imprint. You can see it in the way he’s set up his sleep lab, in his dedication to achieving the highest possible quality sleep studies, the comfortable way he’s set up his sleep lab, his staff, and many other things. You never have to worry about “best practice” with him. Whenever I’ve read some new recommendation for sleep medicine in a medical journal, he’s already been doing it as standard procedure. Every move he makes is backed by the best in clinical knowledge and his own considerable expertise and experience. He is intensely focused on achieving the best possible clinical outcome for you as a patient. What’s more, I don’t think he wants it out of a sense of self-accomplishment; I think he genuinely wants it for you, his patient. When you’re looking for a caring physician, that’s the first thing you want. I think he knows that and it’s how he expresses his regard for you as a patient. But I also find him warm and cordial, always very professional, and compassionate. He has a razor-edged wit and unique sense of humor that always contribute to a visit. Yes, he’s all business and he’s blunt and direct, but that’s just him. He’s not trying to insult you; it’s his responsibility to make sure you get the message. When I had to discuss a troubling issue in a related specialty, he was very helpful, and better yet, gave me a sense of assurance that I hadn’t been able to find. I knew that what he said came from a highly intelligent doctor, up-to-date and well-informed, who would have laid it on the line if I needed to be concerned with anything or any one. Instead, he clearly had no doubts that I would be fine. To this I would add that it is no small feat to be board-certified in four specialties. Certification is not like SATs, where you take the test once and are certified for life. Physicians today are required to constantly pursue a minimum number of educational credits each year, and they must re-take the boards every several years to maintain their certification. That’s a lot of work if you’re maintaining four certifications. I mentioned this to a co-worker and he said “How does he find the time to complete all that CME?” So Dr. Benton is either someone who is very intelligent, or very committed, and I would argue for both. I sincerely doubt he makes many errors in medical judgment. I’ve always found his office staff lovely, helpful, and responsive; and the sleep technician I had was wonderful beyond words. I instantly felt comfortable with her, and she had a gracious, glad way of being there for any tiny thing I might need. Best of all, she got it right. I know she nailed it because of how well I’m sleeping. You can’t do better than this.

flag | Submitted November 8, 2014

After reading the reviews below I didn’t quite know what to expect. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea a number of years ago but never followed through with treatment. Dr. Benton was recommended to me by my primary and a colleague. Dr. Benton encouraged me and assured me that I would have successful treatment. I followed his advice and for the first time in a long while, I feel great and I’m sleeping better than ever. I never felt like he was rushing me or that he was anything but a kind person. He did encourage me to start excising and lose weight but a professional manner which I felt was appropriate.

flag | Submitted July 11, 2013

I have experienced the staff disregard the rating. I have only met the doctor as inpatient at hospital. Disregard punctual rating. This is my kind of Doctor.Dr.Benton is working with entomologist because I am having breathing problems related to chemo treatments for male breast cancer. When Dr. Benton comes to see me he always asks how I feel. Not how my wife is doing or how green is my lawn or any questions not related to my health. Nor did he offer any comments about his personnel life. He did explain what treatments I was receiving and why. He is very knowledgeable regarding pulmonary problems of any kind and I suspect many other things. If you like touchy feely doctors who ask how your new puppy is fitting in this is not the Doctor for you. If you are not well and need a smart knowledgeable Dr who will help you and keep you informed this is the guy.

flag | Submitted June 4, 2013

For a "doctor", he is unusually combative. My wife has sleep apnea and I was outraged at the way he treated her (and me) when we went to see him. He works hard to make you feel like he doesn't like you, which I've never experienced with any doctor before. We actually felt threatened when we were in his office. Would strongly encourage everyone to go elsewhere.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2013

First and Foremost I would say he rates a 10 at Rude and Unprofessional. He rates a 0 at Bedside Manner. He must have been absent for that training. I don't understand why, after so many years of treating patients, that he has any left. As a brand new patient he told me that I was "fat and out of shape" without knowing a thing about me or my medical history (not that he cared to know). Definitely a 10 in the Ego department. Had trouble getting my records transferred to new Dr. Hmmm, I wonder why? Bottom line, I would NEVER recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted April 17, 2013

He is the most unprofessional "doctor" I have ever seen. He can't be bothered with questions, he is rude and does not document your patient file. If he ever sends you for any time of lab work, or radiology outside of his office - INSIST THAT YOU RECEIVE A COPY OF THE REPORT YOURSELF!!! He will NOT SHARE WITH YOU THE RESULTS IF IT CAUSES ANY EXTRA WORK FOR HIM. Stay away - find another doctor! This Doctor just wants to sell CPAP machines whether you need it or not and then strings you out forever. He is completely unethical.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2012

I have been seeing Dr. Benton for many years. I found him through NJ Top Doctors, doctors recommended by OTHER doctors. True, he is quick, but I think it's more to cut to the chase. Bring a list of questions and don't waste his time. He is one doctor I would trust my life to and I see him for both apnea and asthma. I had a sleep study done and when it came back negative, he challenged the professionalism of my technician and fought for another study. You can tell he runs a tight ship and his staff is fabulous. They are efficient,totally competent and the woman who gives breathing tests is one of the nicest nurses I have ever met. He may be tough to some but this man is the BEST in his field and THAT is what you want in life threatening situations.

flag | Submitted December 23, 2011

Dr. Marc L. Benton's Credentials

• Mount Sinai School Of Medicine Of City University Of New York (Grad. 1982)