Ratings for Dr. Joseph E. Haas

I'm a 22 year old female who moved to FL from Atlanta beginning of 2018. I visited Dr. Haas for an initial appointment after 10 years of struggling with panic disorder, manic depression, and ADD. I was referred out to him by my PCP's office because he accepted my insurance (I'm unemployed and limited on money) and was available for a next day appointment as my primary physician suggested immediately following up with a psychiatrist (now I understand why he was available). The last few months I've been having worse depressive and manic episodes and have been holding on to my life by a thread, so I was desperate for help. I attempted to go through my main struggles and was interrupted with irrelevant questions about my childhood..I could understand where he was going with his questions but I was not once given an opportunity to get a full sentence out. He asked me about my diagnosis and medications and was frustrated when I could not recall who prescribed what as I have moved multiple times and seen multiple therapists and psychs (my fault for not keeping my records straight). He then asked to see all my medications and counted them which I thought was strange but again... He's the doctor. He made me feel like my diagnosis was exaggerated after barely allowing me to get a word out about the issues I face with functioning on a daily basis (depressive episodes of being in bed for days at a time, panic attacks going to grocery stores, restaurants, pretty much anything with a crowd of people) and diagnosed me with drug and alcohol abuse problems. I have a history of alcohol abuse and was open about it (never had drug abuse issues) and proceeded to tell him that I have been sober since I came to FL with no issues or urges involving alcohol which led to making the assumption that I'm abusing my current medication of adderall for my ADD (which I take as needed). He then asked for my bottle because he did not think I should be taking it and suggested getting a sleep study as I sleep excessively (common with BP disorder). He asked about my relationships with people so I started to go into that and was once again interrupted so he could clarify that he meant intimate relationships which I have not had in years aside from short-lived flings and after explaining my previous relationships he made a comment about borderline personality disorder! WHAT!? I started to tear up when he went back to my medications because I could see where this was going. The 45 minute session ended with him upping my zoloft dosage and telling me to exercise, and get some sunlight because it helps depression (both of which I do) and asking me for a UA and to take a cognitive test and an order to come back weekly. I had already made up my mind about finding another doctor to help me get my life back on track so I did not set up another appointment and was dismissed from the office to only find a $75 (co-pay is $35) charge on my card later that day which was charged without my knowledge with the credit card info on my new client paperwork for back-up/ insurance reimbursement and was NOT notified of any other out of pocket charges nor was given a receipt. I'm beating myself up about not doing more research and not outwardly asking for a receipt but knowing that he's a so-called psychiatrist that deals with mental health patients his office should really be more informative about billing because personally, I have a hard time with my head being clouded and can be bad about asking important questions but I honestly would have never anticipated the one person who is supposed to help be the one to make my situation worse. I feel completely played. All I can hope for is that I help someone who is struggling as much as I am by writing this review and advise to find someone else to talk to.

flag | Submitted August 31, 2018

Would not hesitate to recommended Dr. Haas. Helpful and friendly personal assistant.

flag | Submitted August 19, 2018

I went to Dr Haas from December 2016 through May 2017. I was applying for SSDI for my BPII, Major Depression and anxiety. I didn't have any medical insurance and that was explained to him. He charged $500 for the first visit and insisted that I come monthly for $185 per month knowing I had no insurance and limited income. Initial, he made a good first impression and appeared to listen. He changed one of my medications that I had been on for many years so I could "lose weight" and then he appeared distracted and on his computer the whole time we were meeting. On my 5th visit to him he suddenly blurts out of the blue that I should get a part time job at 7-Eleven. (I was too stunned to say anything at first.) I had to remind him that I have severe foot pain and can't stand for prolonged periods of time on hard surfaces. (In addition, at the time I was 58 yr old former CPA paying him out of pocket for my mental health towards SSDI and had been previously been hospitalized 4 times if you work while trying to get SSDI you won't get it, besides I can't stand and why would an anxious person work someplace were all the drug addicts hang out???) I was pretty shock up but returned the following month. So, the following month he is talking to me again and this time he says...You should get a part time job at McDonald's. Wait...I should pay you $185 per month and work part-time at McDonald's? Well, I figured this guy out and unfortunately he is a sadistic narcissist like my ex-husband. Run, run as fast as you can. As soon as I left, I called my attorney and asked if I could change doctors and they said it would be ok as long as I was continuing treatment. This guy should not be a doctor.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2018

Please read all the comments below and PLEASE trust ALL negative comments about him. I was his weekly patient for over 5 months strait, that's correct, he makes all his Suboxone patients deal with his arrogance and DANGEROUS lack of medical knowledge every week even if they have never relapsed and he makes you take a 12-palel UA EVERY WEEK!!! My pharmacist said he has never heard of a Suboxone doctor do that. I am an Economist and after 5 months of weekly visits he still does not even know what my undergrad is in. That shows you he just doesn’t care about patients unless you are an attractive female because he doesn’t know anything about my personal life including family background or hobbies and that’s because I just let him talk and 25% of the time it’s something demeaning about women. But here’s where he is dangerously incompetent as a medical professional. When I first went to see this guy I told him several times my Endocrinologist had me on testosterone shots and it played a significant role in my mental state, and every time he cut me off and said my low-T was from drug abuse and I didn’t need the shots. He never looked at my new patient paperwork that showed I had been on shots for more than 5 years before I ever abused any drugs. But I went ahead and took his advice to stop the shots. Any regular GP and especially an endocrinologist will tell you that IT CAN BE FATAL TO STOP TESTOSTERSTONE SHOTS ABRUBTLY. But I did it anyways in hopes I would have a stroke or heart attack and sue him for malpractice to help treat his arrogance disorder. Finally now after 5 months I asked him directly “so, my testosterone should be normal now that I’ve been clean for 5 months?” He agreed and ordered up 9 vials of blood work including my testosterone which came back so low both my Endocrinologist and GP were at a loss of words other than “you need to find a new doctor IMMEDIATELY!! Start your shots immediately, you could have died!!” Because of that he immediately dropped me as a Suboxone patient with only 1 week of meds i.e., no taper which is another dangerous practice. Although this is not illegal, it is extremely dangerous and unethical and he should be investigated by an ethics board. So PLEASE don’t listen to any positive reviews on this guy. They are most likely fake. Keep in mind, how many doctors do you know who have their VERY OWN website?? Not many if any. Try googling any of your doctors and I guarantee you NONE of them do. He had to pay someone large amounts of $ to create and host his very own web site so when you google his name it draws you away from all the web sites with so many negative reviews. That’s what professionals do when they get in professional trouble. Do you think he really wants to pay Google possibly thousands of dollars a month just to lure in Suboxone patients when the state limits doctors to no more than 100 Suboxone patients? Easy economics my friends. Just observe his financial behavior and listen to the negative comments. The positive ones are almost certainly fake.

flag | Submitted February 6, 2018

What an arrogant jerk. I went there to get my depression meds in order. What I got was a lecture about what diabetic medicine I should be on. Excuse me? I've been seeing a professional in that field that has me straightened out and I'm not changing me meds on that because you think your better after seeing me for 5 minutes. I also have nerve damage that I have to take tylenol for. For the severe pain he wanted me off of that and give me aspirin instead. He wanted me to bring my current meds in next time so he can throw them away. Are you kidding? Not only did he ignore me for what I went in for, but he was going to try kill me apparently. He tried to make me feel like a drug addict because i took something stronger than aspirin for nerve pain. One visit, Im done. Thanks for the help psycho. He needs help with his Napoleon complex.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2017

He really helped me with my anxiety. Not just with drugs but by using my faith in God.

flag | Submitted July 18, 2017

This guy needs to see a psychiatrist! He was rude and dismissive and would not listen to one thing I had to say.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2017

If you truly want help this is NOT the Doctor to go to! First of all, he will not listen to you. I mean WILL NOT! I know that the 'Doctor knows best ', but I also know my body and to totally disregard what I'm saying is not only unprofessional, but rude. He will not let you get a word in edgewise and will over talk you at every possible chance. His knowledge of Medications isn't very broad and he's not willing to prescribe much.... even if you tell him it's worked well for you in the past. He treats everyone like an addict, and his niche is definitely addiction treatment. In my opinion he is a horrible psychiatrist. My anxiety goes up at the mere thought of trying to speak with this man. If you go for addiction treatment he won't prescribe you enough of the replacement medication because he always knows best.... even if you tell him that you're still showing signs of withdrawal and still want to use. I'd have to say he's the most inflexible physician I've ever met. Apparently I take up too much time when I have an appointment because I was made aware of it. How rude!!!! Oh, and even if he writes you a month supply, he still wants to see you every two weeks. He's ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. Not your care or convince. Forget getting Refills! Hahaha! That's a big no with him! I'm really disappointed in how he treats me as a patient. I will be finding a new doctor! If you're in search of a Doctor I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole! Beware! Seriously!

flag | Submitted June 7, 2017

After reading his website, I was very eager to met him, and glean some knowledgable help. What a dissapointmnet...I found him arrogant, condescending, rude, and not empathetic at all...I felt dismissed, rushed, and was just suggested various drugs, for mild anxiety.. Afterwards I heard troubling things about his personality. I am a senior and have master from a good university, so, I have met and seen a few things, over the years, and he is not suitable to treat people with anxiety,depression issues....perhaps his forte is in addiction specialization....he should stick to that!!!!,also I question how he billed my insurance....am looking into that.

flag | Submitted February 12, 2017

We'll. Forget about punctuality. That's typical for any doctor. Nicole is the best. What a caring person. Haas cares however his own issues override any type of therapy he can give. His anger issues are huge. He actually screamed at me and used the f word...I had to calm him down. People were in the lobby hearing him ranting. I was stunned. He also has sexual issues. Reacts abusively if a conversation of sexual issues are discussed. He is the most unprofessional doc I've ever seen. This guy needs to retire. They get burned out no doubt. Tough business. His knowledge of drugs for certain mental disorders is weak. He seems to focus alot on addiction issues. Maybe his niche? He doesn't spend time with you. He's very hyper. Doesn't listen to what you say talks over you and rushes you out the door. Overall this guy is a 0 .

flag | Submitted January 30, 2017

Dr. Joseph E. Haas's Credentials

• Univ Of Mi Med Sch, Ann Arbor Mi 48109 (Grad. 1990)

Commercial Insurance Company