Ratings for Dr. Stephen French

I got into an accident when I was younger ... ( a 10 cm deep gash right above my left knee) .. there was signs of nerve damage. Dr French was the surgeon who accessed the damage and chose the best procedure to save nerve function in my left foot.. I'm thankful everyday for his help otherwise I wouldnt have any function in my left foot

flag | Submitted January 30, 2017

He did my PCL + meniscus repair, and am pretty thankful every day I was referred to him. He's an incredibly talented surgeon and he has excellent bedside manner. He is always willing to answer any questions you have and makes sure you fully understand whats happening and why he wants you to have the treatment he prescribes (he is really good at explaining things on your level, and always makes sure you fully understand the risks and the benefits of any procedure he does). I mean him being so thorough usually means he's always late (which he definitely is, just try and book AM appointments if you can), but honestly thats kind of just because he's so sought after and also takes his time with patients. I'd rather have a fantastic, caring, and very late surgeon rather than a dismissive arrogant dick who's always on time.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2016

I was seen by Dr. French several times during my initial examination. He answered all of my questions but he is horrible when it comes to punctuality. He is always late in seeing the patients which obviously no body likes. Other than that he was good. His staff members are good too.

flag | Submitted August 15, 2016

been having a surgery with Dr French . he did fix a bad surgery on my hip and reconstructed my knees ligament and ACL. I can say after a year my hip is back to a good state (only random pain).For the knee its a different story been having daily pain and i have been trying do physio exercise to get over it with out success , more i was trying worst the pain was getting. The bad part is that i am not sure Dr French understood how much pain i was having .I paid an MRI at a private clinic to save time and try to help him find out what is wrong... the answer i got was:"its a complicated answer." i asked for pain relief and got the alive or similar pain killer answer(been there done that) soi decided to ask for cortisone shot even he wasn't sure about the benefit. I am disappointed by the method he used on me for that cortisone shot by bending the needle inside my knee... been watching a bunch of video about knee injection but couldn't find that technique. i can't say it was more painful than what i was living before he start bending the needle in but sure didn't seems professional, hopefully he didn't made it more worst even i don't think it can . IF it was a test on that surgery i will give u 90% for that hip ,35% for that knee after a year of recovery. i am not done trying to get better but i sure know you are not the one that can help anymore. Advice if you start seeing that your Dr don't get what u mean or just careless about it, get a second opinion and don't waste time.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2016

Dr. French is one of the best orthopedic surgeons I have ever seen. I had a complete dislocation with a trimalleoral fracture of my right ankle which required surgery inserting a plate and 12 screws. I have seen him for the past 18 months and he is knowledgeable, careful and extremely talented. He has explained every move he makes and why. He treats me like an intelligent person and I trust his medical advice completely. His bedside manner is fantastic and I enjoy his positive outlook every time I see him. His staff all seem to enjoy working with him and that says a lot about a surgeon.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2015

I just had my first consultation with Dr. French. He knew right away what needed to be done and was the first doctor in 2 years to actually give me a solid answer as to why I was experiencing so much pain. He sure knows his stuff and I feel totally happy that he will be operating on me when the date is set. I am so thankful for this doctor. His is a godsend to people like me suffering from complex knee issues. His staff were extremely nice and very efficient . If you need surgery on your knee you could not find a better doctor than this one.

flag | Submitted May 29, 2015

In 2009, I had torn my ACL and my patella tendon. A different doctor had repaired my patella tendon and he referred me to Dr French for my ACL. I wanted to get my ACL repaired right away, but Dr French didn't want to perform the surgery for the sake of performing the surgery. He encouraged me to try physio to strengthen my leg first to see if that would help. Unfortunately, it didn't but I did get into really good shape going to the gym and working out my knee everyday. I ended up getting several surgeries with Dr French from 2010 to 2011. He did a scope of my knee to see what was left of my ACL just to make sure I would benefit from getting an ACL reconstruction and repaired my meniscus and removed a broken wire from my previous knee surgery that was causing me some discomfort. The second surgery he did was the ACL reconstruction. I wanted to get a donor tendon instead of losing part of my hamstring, luckily Dr French recommended that we go that route since I already had some weakness from my torn patella tendon and he didn't want to sacrifice any more strength in my leg by removing part of my hamstring. He was worried that I would be hesitant to put a tendon in my body from a cadaver but I had no issue with it since I filled out my organ donor card. After the ACL reconstruction, he did one more surgery to remove some staples from my shin where the replacement tendon was anchored to. The bone tissue around the staples had grown around it and caused a big bump on my shin bone so it was painful to wear my custom knee brace. he went in and removed the staples and filed evened out the bump on my shin. Since then my knee has been really good. It's not the same as before but it's much better then what I thought it could be after I first injured it. Dr. French has always been very kind and helpful when I met with him and I feel very lucky to have had him repair my knee before he moved away.

flag | Submitted February 18, 2015

My daughter has a ACL and meniscus tear.....been bounced around from doctor to doctor. Saw Dr. French this morning, and we learned more with him than anyone in the last two years. He took the time to explain everything to us, and our daughter, and was very in depth. She is going in for an operation before Christmas, and he has every hope that she will be dancing again! Very impressed!!!!!!!

flag | Submitted August 19, 2014

Dr French is the worst DR I have ever seen. NO bedside manner at all !! Always late (he stands around at the desk chatting with the girls ) and after waiting in his room for 2 hrs ,I only saw him for 8 minutes. Referred to the other DR as Junior and embarrassed him. Only saw him 2 times , Thank goodness ! Went to physio like he said, my shoulders are worse and he tells me there is nothing he can do and good luck ! Thank Goodness I am getting a second opinion as physiotherapy and my DR do not agree with him .

Submitted May 12, 2014

He's a great doctor. He fixed my knee, which was a very bad injury... The surgery took almost 7 hours and now, I'll be returning to playing hockey within a few months, I thought I wasnt gonna play hockey again. he told me he was gonna relocate in calgary

flag | Submitted November 12, 2013