You may also like

Ratings for Dr. Suren Sanmugasunderam

flag | Submitted May 20, 2016

My father has been a patient of Dr. Shan's for over a decade. Today, when my dad had the "audacity" to ask some questions about potential treatments coming down the line, Dr. Shan told him that he "was so far off base" and "knew so little that he couldn't waste his time trying to bring him up to speed." He then proceeded to talk about how he "didn't go to school for 11 years for nothing." Big deal, he obviously didn't learn anything about compassion or bedside manner. Rude, arrogant, impatient, defensive and belittling.! His treatment of my father, a ten year patient and recent widower, was completely unacceptable and not appreciated. Seriously considering writing a letter of complaint to the College of Physicians and Surgeons, particularly after seeing all these similar comments. This obviously wasn't just a case of having a rare bad day.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2016

This doctor is rude and arrogant. When you ask a simple question, he becomes defensive and condescending. I wish I tape recorded some of the things he said. Then I could report him.

flag | Submitted March 23, 2016

flag | Submitted March 10, 2016

The London Eye Centre ruined my eyes. I had Lasik surgery there in Feb 2014 to correct minor shortsightedness. It was supposed to be a simple straightforward procedure performed by Dr Maerov. I found him to be quite rude and uncaring when I met him the day of the surgery. Like I was another patient on a conveyor belt trying to get me through as quick as possible. That said the surgery went without a hitch and I was sent on my way with instructions to return for regular check ups by their optometrist. I noticed fairly early that I was seeing a lot of ghosting and halos at night which their staff had assured me would not happen. When I told their optometrist he dismissed it with a joke. This happened several times over my check ups. Finally after 6 months he told me I had been undercorrected and would need an enhancement. Since I was not comfortable with Dr Maerov, I requested to have Dr Sanmugasunderam otherwise known as Dr Shan...big mistake. At first we tried drops to see if my symptoms were simply dry eyes. After that failed he said that he was 90% certain an 'enhancement' (a term that should be replaced with "having another stab at it") would fix my issues. Since my right eye was a touch worse than my left I asked if having surgery on just the right eye was an option and then later on the left. He said that was fine and wouldn't cause any issues. Again this was a huge mistake, possibly the worst of my life. We went ahead and did the surgery on my right eye in August 2014. Since then my life has been a nightmare. I've been told my right eye is slightly overcorrected. What happened after the surgery I couldn't imagine. The way I was treated by Dr Shan was inexcusable. My right started off blurry. I couldn't use it to read and to focus it on anything I had to strain considerably harder than my left eye. Problem is you can't strain one eye harder than the other since they work together. This means one eye is always out of focus and that's hard for the brain to handle. But it went beyond just one eye being out of focus, because the muscles and nerves connected to my right eye started to tighten. 3 weeks after the 2nd surgery and I had constant pain in my right temple. The eyes felt unbalanced and I had a headache that would not go, even with my eyes closed. The ghosting in my right eye was also much worse than before, although that didn't cause pain. The only relief I could get would be in the mornings before I opened my eyes, and even then sometimes I would wake with the headache. What never went was the tightness in my temple. So I returned to the LEC quite distressed hoping they had some explanation and cure. They didn't but what was worse was Dr Shan told me I was making trouble and making their lives miserable. I should enjoy my new vision and if I wanted he could show me what real misery was like by showing me his other patients! (Yes, I should have asked him how he messed their lives up too but I was in no frame of mind for witty retorts). Since he was so rude I recorded 2 of my follow up visits with him and I have him saying this to me. I also having him calling me an asshole, which I'm debating whether to put online. If I do I will link to it here. To have your surgeon call you an asshole and to say you're making his life miserable after he ruined your vision is unbelievable. Needless to say their lifetime warranty means nothing as I couldn't bring myself to keep going back after that. They got their wish as I didn't return. Since then I have spent thousands seeing other Drs and even went to see a specialist contact lens maker in Texas. He could fix the ghosting but not the balance and headaches unfortunately. I had to take 4 months off work and a year and a half later I still have headaches every day. I used to have to wear an eye patch over my right eye to get some relief. Now I'm forced to wear a reading lens over my right eye but it only gives mild relief. The discomfort and pain is constant and may never go. I take full responsibility for having the surgery and the unlikely outcome I've experienced. However the way I was treated at LEC and by Dr Shan in particular was absolutely horrendous. I wouldn't wish him on my worst enemy and personally I think he should lose his license for what he said to me. DO NOT SEE THIS DOCTOR! STAY WELL AWAY.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2016

I have been going to this office for a number of years. The eye exam tester enjoys eating food while testing my eyes. So if you like hearing someone licking their fingers and smelling their lunch while sitting in a dark room, you're in luck. When I corrected her on the pronunciation of my name she became extremely rude. Would not recommend. The arrogance of this office is astounding.

Submitted September 28, 2015

I now have had both of my eyes operated on for cataracts, glaucoma, and drains placed in my eye lids to relieve pressures. Being from Prince George I had waited a lengthy period of time and still had a year and half further wait for surgery. The good doctor was so professional and made sure I understood exactly how my procedure was going to give me my sight back and all I could expect. Every procedure went exactly as he explained and I am so grateful to be able to see far and near. The colors are amazing. These I have not had the pleasure of being able to see such vibrant colors and distant vision in years. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all you have done for me and I can assure you that I will be spreading the good word for you. PS: And I am driving again which I haven't for two years. Sharon Husberg

flag | Submitted June 16, 2015

I had laser eye surgery last Friday at London Eye Centre. I did not know which surgeon I would have but had read reviews on all 3 possibilities. As it turned out Dr. Sanmugasunderam was the surgeon that day. I completely disagree with all the negative reviews on this board as I found him very comforting through the whole experience. He explained the whole procedure to me before and during the surgery. I am on day 5 now and can read everything without glasses! Needless to say I think you need to read the majority of the reviews as not everyone will be happy with any doctor.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2015

This is the worst surgeon and I would not trust my eye sight to him. Not only did he not follow through with what I was promised in my consultations, but he gave me attitude and wouldnt listen to anything I was saying. He denied me ativan that the office, nurse, and technicians had promised me telling me that I'm not strong enough to do the surgery and if i can't handle gory details then i don't deserve the ativan. When i asked him to give me a couple minutes to breath (because he was being so rude and condescending before my procedure) he said I've already wasted so much of his time (it had only been 5 minutes), whats a few more minutes going to do. He told me that i don't want the surgery and kept cutting me off to tell me i don't want the surgery (on the day I had paid and reserved to have it done!). I told him i needed the time because what he is telling me (that I'm not strong and i can't handle this and i don't want this) is making me nervous so he snapped back that "i was crappy from the start". He put his hand an inch away from my moms face and waved to shoo her out of the room. I didn't end up doing my surgery that day because he didn't have the patience or care to waste 5 minutes being a normal human being- he wanted to google camera lenses on the office computer and make his thousands without disruption. Avoid him.

flag | Submitted March 30, 2015

Dr Sanmugasunderarm seems to be an excellent doctor. I found him informed and what I liked best is his clear communication about options. He gave me the pros and cons of 3 options, and then let me make the decision about what to do. Would definitely recommend him.

flag | Submitted March 5, 2015

Dr. Suren Sanmugasunderam's Credentials

MSP/BC Med

Updates

• A new 1.5-star rating has been posted. "An unpleasant doctor who thinks very highly of himself. Avoid at all costs unless you like being treated as though you are stupid."

May 20, 2016
  • A new 2-star rating has been posted. "My father has been a patient of Dr. Shan's for over a decade. Today, when my dad had the "audacity" to ask some questions about potential treatments coming do..."

May 20, 2016
  • A new 2-star rating has been posted. "This doctor is rude and arrogant. When you ask a simple question, he becomes defensive and condescending. I wish I tape recorded some of the things he said. The..."

March 23, 2016
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "Listen to a consultation with this Dr here: youtu.be/z1-qX-aAasQ Skip to the 18 minute mark to hear some of the worst stuff he says. "

March 10, 2016
  • A new 2-star rating has been posted. "The London Eye Centre ruined my eyes. I had Lasik surgery there in Feb 2014 to correct minor shortsightedness. It was supposed to be a simple straightforward pr..."

March 9, 2016
  • A new 1.5-star rating has been posted. "I have been going to this office for a number of years. Jackie the eye exam tester enjoys eating food while testing my eyes. So if you like hearing someone l..."

September 28, 2015
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "Arrogant prick! Don't waste your time! His parents must be so proud to have raised such an uncaring and condescending son!"

June 18, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. " I now have had both of my eyes operated on for cataracts, glaucoma, and drains placed in my eye lids to relieve pressures. Being from Prince George I had wait..."

June 16, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I had laser eye surgery last Friday at London Eye Centre. I did not know which surgeon I would have but had read reviews on all 3 possibilities. As it turned ..."

April 21, 2015
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "This is the worst surgeon and I would not trust my eye sight to him. Not only did he not follow through with what I was promised in my consultations, but he gav..."

March 30, 2015
  • A new 4-star rating has been posted. "Dr Sanmugasunderarm seems to be an excellent doctor. I found him informed and what I liked best is his clear communication about options. He gave me the pros ..."

March 5, 2015
  • A new 2-star rating has been posted. "Horrible horrible doctor. He is rude condescending, misses things and to not mention horrible breath. i mean come on spring for a mint. but anyway i would not g..."

February 23, 2015
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "I noticed that one review of Dr. Shan mentioned Dr. Beattie......well who could ever compare to Dr. Beattie? He was a fantastic Doctor and although he retire..."

February 11, 2015
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "I have been seeing Dr Shan for years, yearly, to check my eyes for potential med-related problems. The office staff are excellent at reminding me, understanding..."

October 24, 2014
  • First Name changed from "S." to "Suren"

April 29, 2013