Ratings for Dr. Suren Sanmugasunderam

Not sure what everyone is complaining about. I found Dr Shan and the office staff to be excellent. They were quick, efficient, but took the time to answer my questions when I had them. Dr Shan did an excellent job. I am beyond thrilled with my results. His bedside manner was just fine by me. I really liked him and would recommend him highly.

flag | Submitted October 22, 2017

Full of himself, arrogant. My 103 year old mother was 15 minutes late for an appointment--no one waiting -- and he refused to see her. She was a regular client. No compassion at all. He diagnosed eye conditions which later turned out to be incorrect.

Submitted October 10, 2017

Today l had my first visit. The staff was courteous, the Dr. was kind, professional, clear and very informative. I look forward to my 2week follow-up. I was respected and he made me feel like an important human being. I did read the reviews before my visit and arrived with anxieties, and left my appointment very satisfied with the medical service that was provided, in fact, no complaints. Valerie

flag | Submitted October 4, 2017

Rude staff. Rude doctor. Get referred some where else if possible. Patients go to doctors seeking information and health advise, not to be treated without respect. Horrible doctor.

Submitted September 27, 2017

I left Dr. Shan years ago!! He might seem like a good doctor in the beginning, then he gets very impatient if you have any questions. He yelled at me because I asked him one question! And when I read the reviews, I am obviously not the only one he's yelled at! So if you like verbal abuse from some idiot who got a degree and thinks it's a license to mistreat people, go see Dr. Shan!

Submitted July 15, 2017

If I had read the negative reviews about Dr. Sanmugasunderam prior to my recent appointment, I would have not believed it. But I learned today how he is basically like Jekyll and Hyde. Provided you have no questions or comments contrary to the doctor, the appointments are fine - I haven been seeing him for almost 10 years. Today, I questioned whether or not I really needed to see another medical specialist (in another discipline) that Dr. S was going to refer me to. In questioning his professional opinion, he completely lost it. He repeatedly called me stupid, clueless and that I will die because I minimize my symptoms. To that, he added he would not care if I die. I was stunned and could not believe someone was speaking to me like this. And the fact that he is a physician and would speak to a patient in this manner left me stunned. I left thinking, 'maybe he's having a bad day or he's having a crisis' but in reading other people's review, he has a clear history of this type of unprofessional/unstable behavior. The people who have rave reviews about Dr. S clearly have not experienced his 'Hyde' personality. Needless to say, I will not be going back to him and will find another ophthalmologist.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2017

I had read some negative comments which made me a bit leery in seeing Dr Sanmugasunderam - my experience was completely positive. He was very friendly and I felt at ease immediately. My questions were fully answered and I left feeling knowledgeable and up to date. I am happy to know that Dr Sanmugasunderam is there and I have no doubt I am in good hands.

flag | Submitted July 5, 2017

Dr Shan saw me to review some strange optical,problems I was having. I found him very polite and professional. He well explained what I was experiencing and what the likely prognosis with recommendations for further appointments only if the episodes returned which so far they have not. I would definitely see Drshan for further consultations if needed.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2017

Not my doctor anymore, but when I was his patient, I found him to be very competent and knowledgeable...however, he's kind of a loose cannon. He yelled and swore at me a couple times, but if you can overlook his volatility, he is a good doctor.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2017

Dr. Sanmugasunderam ("Dr. Shan") has been my opthamologist for approximately 20 years. Prior to seeing him, I had had surgery for a detached retina and the surgeon who performed the surgery was so brutal in his eye exam that my eye swelled shut from the exam. What I love about Dr. Shan is that he is very gentle and patient when doing an examination. He is a gentle and kind man. Dr. Shan has taken excellent care of me over the last 20 years, monitoring my eyes for retinal detachment, mapping my field of vision due to family history of glaucoma, cataracts, etc. When I suffered lights in my eyes, Dr. Shan saw me immediately. Last November, I suffered a sudden deterioration of vision in my left eye and I underwent cataract surgery with Dr. Shan. Dr. Shan explained the risks and the processes to me. I had further questions after I went home and I left a phone message if the doctor could please call me. Dr. Shan called me back and answered my additional questions. I was afraid of the surgery but I was greatly reassured that Dr. Shan would be doing it. I trust this kind doctor implicitly. The surgery was a complete success. My vision is now much better in the left eye than it has been for many years. I have not gone into my whole eye history but I can assure you that Dr. Shan has been there for me. Do not be fooled by Dr. Shan's gentle demeanour - he is a highly knowledgeable opthamologist and skilled surgeon. I could not recommend him more highly.

flag | Submitted January 20, 2017