Ratings for Dr. Suren Sanmugasunderam

Dr Shan saw me to review some strange optical,problems I was having. I found him very polite and professional. He well explained what I was experiencing and what the likely prognosis with recommendations for further appointments only if the episodes returned which so far they have not. I would definitely see Drshan for further consultations if needed.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2017

Not my doctor anymore, but when I was his patient, I found him to be very competent and knowledgeable...however, he's kind of a loose cannon. He yelled and swore at me a couple times, but if you can overlook his volatility, he is a good doctor.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2017

Dr. Sanmugasunderam ("Dr. Shan") has been my opthamologist for approximately 20 years. Prior to seeing him, I had had surgery for a detached retina and the surgeon who performed the surgery was so brutal in his eye exam that my eye swelled shut from the exam. What I love about Dr. Shan is that he is very gentle and patient when doing an examination. He is a gentle and kind man. Dr. Shan has taken excellent care of me over the last 20 years, monitoring my eyes for retinal detachment, mapping my field of vision due to family history of glaucoma, cataracts, etc. When I suffered lights in my eyes, Dr. Shan saw me immediately. Last November, I suffered a sudden deterioration of vision in my left eye and I underwent cataract surgery with Dr. Shan. Dr. Shan explained the risks and the processes to me. I had further questions after I went home and I left a phone message if the doctor could please call me. Dr. Shan called me back and answered my additional questions. I was afraid of the surgery but I was greatly reassured that Dr. Shan would be doing it. I trust this kind doctor implicitly. The surgery was a complete success. My vision is now much better in the left eye than it has been for many years. I have not gone into my whole eye history but I can assure you that Dr. Shan has been there for me. Do not be fooled by Dr. Shan's gentle demeanour - he is a highly knowledgeable opthamologist and skilled surgeon. I could not recommend him more highly.

flag | Submitted January 20, 2017

If you like customer service in a doctor's office then this is not the place for you.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2016

Very unprofessional and rude. Horrible bedside manner. Avoid!

flag | Submitted December 7, 2016

Extremely unprofessional. He treats you like an idiot, won't let you ask any reasonable questions (especially if he can't answer it), says degrading comments to you if you "slow him down"

flag | Submitted October 6, 2016

Warm, professional, explained what was happening at every step, made me feel comfortable and in excellent hands. A superb doctor and office staff. Thank you, Dr. Shan, Sherry and the team! Sincerely, Steph Nicolls

flag | Submitted June 14, 2016

An unpleasant doctor who thinks very highly of himself. Avoid at all costs unless you like being treated as though you are stupid.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2016

My father has been a patient of Dr. Shan's for over a decade. Today, when my dad had the "audacity" to ask some questions about potential treatments coming down the line, Dr. Shan told him that he "was so far off base" and "knew so little that he couldn't waste his time trying to bring him up to speed." He then proceeded to talk about how he "didn't go to school for 11 years for nothing." Big deal, he obviously didn't learn anything about compassion or bedside manner. Rude, arrogant, impatient, defensive and belittling.! His treatment of my father, a ten year patient and recent widower, was completely unacceptable and not appreciated. Seriously considering writing a letter of complaint to the College of Physicians and Surgeons, particularly after seeing all these similar comments. This obviously wasn't just a case of having a rare bad day.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2016

This doctor is rude and arrogant. When you ask a simple question, he becomes defensive and condescending. I wish I tape recorded some of the things he said. Then I could report him.

flag | Submitted March 23, 2016