Ratings for Dr. Michael C. Tenby

Took my youngest for a new patient visit for a medical assessment. Since I also work in medicine, I'm considered reasonably well-educated and experienced. Despite the appalling front desk (I think she was more preoccupied with her nails to even manage to look up and say something like, "Hello."), I refrained from too much of an indictment. The doctor was late, but not so bad. He was interested, but only in the most mechanized of ways. I guess his front desk got the memo that you don't actually look patients or their parents in the eyes. He did a perfunctory exam, agreed with my differential diagnosis, and referred him to a specialist. I couldn't, however, get the yucky feeling that the doctor was off-put by my son's condition. Definitely NOT impressed. Will NOT return. He could stand to scrub his walls of dirt a bit more though I suppose that scrubbing the surly attitude of his front desk staff won't be nearly as easy.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2014

I am a mother of eight children, five of whom I gave birth to, all of whom see Dr. Tenby as their pediatrician. We have been with him for almost ten years. As you can imagine, in a family of ten, we have had reason to see all kinds of doctors in Las Vegas. Dr. Tenby is, hands down, our favorite. Let me tell you a little about why that is. First and foremost, I know for a fact that he truly cares about my family. He remembers our names (and there are a LOT of names), and takes the time to ask about my other seven kids when I am there for their sibling's appointment. Dr. Tenby is patient and kind. I ask a lot of questions. He gives me his opinion based on sound medical research, and then goes the extra mile to recommend reading for me to further educate myself. He is gentle and compassionate with my children. He interacts with them, asks them questions, and puts them at ease. They all, and I truly mean this, love him. They may not love their vaccinations, but are always excited to go back the next time, and that is because both Dr. Tenby and Bonnie are so loving with them. My four year old has a sensory processing disorder, which comes with a fear of anyone physically handling him. Dr. Tenby is patient and allows extra time at his appointments to be sure my son can become comfortable and have a good experience. As a matter of fact, he has never walked out of an appointment in a hurry. He spends more time than is necessary, even personally holding the sticker box while each of my kids picks which sticker they want. And with all my kids, that can be a while! I breast feed all of my kids, for well over the year mark, and Dr. Tenby has been a huge support in us making that decision. One of my adopted children went through a suicide attempt after years of neglect and abuse by his birth mother. Again, we were met with support and concern. He is thorough. There have been several times over the years where I had an uncommon health issue or question (for example, having a parathyroid tumor while pregnant), and he and Bonnie took the time to research the possible problems for my child. He has, several times, texted a colleague of his to help my child book an appointment when it was needed in a hurry, or to ask specialized questions about something we were going through. My twins were born while he was on a family vacation, and we had a couple of issues that we called in about. He called me, within an hour, from his vacation. He could have let Bonnie handle it (who, by the way, is fantastic), but called himself. Every time I have ever had an after hours issue, not only have they answered my questions personally, he and Bonnie have often called back later to check to see that the issue has resolved. He has never made me feel like my questions are silly, rather, he makes sure he takes the time to respectfully help. He personally has come to the hospital to visit each of my newborns. I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that I encourage anyone looking for a great doctor who will treat you and your kids like family, to book an appointment with Dr. Tenby.

flag | Submitted August 27, 2014

Dr. Tenby was rude, forceful and bullied me and my children. I will not be returning to the practice. I will note that Dr. Tenby has been my childrens doctor for over 5 years and the treatment I received today was unimaginable. I am horrified that my children and I were treated with such disrespect. I am switching doctors and hope not to return. He is not a fan of breastfeeding. Him and Bonnie (on staff nurse practitioner) have pressured me with the last two children to give formula from BIRTH.

Submitted August 13, 2014

Tenby was very rude to me when he found out that I delay and select vaccinate my son. He was angry and treated me like i was an idiot for not having my one year old vaccinated for polio yet even though it has been completely gone from our country since the 80's. It's not like I was anti-vax we were just following a delayed schedule. We will never set foot in his office again. I don't care what your stance is on vaccines. Nobody deserves to be treated the way he treated me. Plus I think it is highly irresponsible of him not to have a well and sick waiting room. I don't want my healthy child waiting in a room with sick children or the other way around!

Submitted March 14, 2014

We've had nothing but great care by Dr. Tenby. Though my children haven't been through any serious medical traumas, the times we have had to go into the office have been pleasant experiences. His office staff are friendly and punctual (we changed from our last one because they made us wait hours, literally), and the nurses are always friendly, too. Dr. Tenby does seem to be in a rush now and then, but he is always willing to answer questions and give you his opinion on certain procedures, medications, etc. We have not felt forced into anything we haven't felt comfortable with.

flag | Submitted May 22, 2012

flag | Submitted February 11, 2012

Really great office. Staff is helpful and friendly and Dr was very good.

flag | Submitted January 30, 2012

As a mom of twin preemies my husband and I could not be anymore disappointed with Dr. Tenby. My twins spent 10 weeks in the NICU and after being discharged have been back to the ER several times to include being admitted twice. Dr. Tenby sent my son to the ER, which of course a preemie should not have to be unless medically necessary due to the risk of infection, for a 6 hour ordeal to receive a shot for an infection that could and should have been done in his office. However, because the infection wasn't confirmed until 4:30 pm Dr. Tenby sent us to the ER as opposed to allowing us to come into the offuce, by the way I live 10 minutes from his office. Dr. Tenby has a know it all attitude and easily dismisses your concerns and questions. On a second note Dr. Tenby refused to have my son admitted to the hospital due to a 3rd infection, as was requested by the specialist, and he has now had this infection for over 3 weeks! DO NOT allow your children to be subjected to his incompetence!!!!

Submitted May 16, 2011

I brought my son to the guy for years. Toward the end I was stuck bringing my son to him because of insurance PCP issues and I couldn't see anyone else. The guy bullied me into giving vaccinations I didn't agree with (sorry, but putting formaldehyde and anti-freeze purposely into my kid's body to prevent chicken pox is not okay). My son spent a vacation out of state in the hospital after getting the OK from the doc, saying his infection was "fine" (turned out to be MRSA!). After two years of repeated ear infections (over 15) and my crying for a referral to Early Intervention because I was worried about my son's development, I learned that the ear infections deafened my son in one ear and he was delayed by almost a year (the guy reassured me a number of times that my son was delayed because he was a boy, not because anything was wrong with him). My concerns and questions were ALWAYS blown off, and I wonder if it's because I'm a young single mom, or if he's just a moron.

Submitted February 4, 2011

I have no insurance, and it's $80 if you've been there before, but they are very good at combining

flag | Submitted April 18, 2010

Dr. Michael C. Tenby's Credentials

• Univ Of Ks Sch Of Med, Kansas City Ks 66103 (Grad. 1994)