Ratings for Dr. James M. Pucka

Dr. Pucka at Spine Worx is very knowledgeable about the field of chiropractic medicine, but also the body as a whole. I have many health issues, and he is very good at making connections between my many symptoms and conditions. At the same time, he's not afraid to admit when he doesn't know something (which I would hope all doctors would do, but experience has shown me otherwise), and often studies up on the issue before my next visit. The office is a very different setting than what you may be used to, chiropractic or otherwise. There is a large waiting room that also serves as the treatment area with two adjustment tables. There is one private room for new patients' first visits or for those who need or request privacy. There’s also a few rooms in the back for massages, but the majority of patients have their adjustments out in the open in this waiting room type area. It's kind of a factory line version of chiropractic adjustments, but it is quick and efficient, yet effective for the large number of patients he sees each day. I have never found this sort of set up to cause my quality of care to be any less than it would be in an office with a more traditional set-up. If you are a more private person, just ask to be adjusted in the exam room. Within the past few years the office obtained a recent graduate, a young lady doctor named Dr. Grace. This helps move patients along twice as fast now that Pucka is not doing adjustments alone. However, I cannot attest to her abilities since she has not adjusted me before. She joined the office early on in her career and Dr. Pucka helped shape the doctor she is now so I would assume she is just as high quality as he is. Regarding Dr. Pucka's personality--do not mistake his bluntness and sarcasm for being unprofessional. He develops good enough relationships with a lot of his patients and there is a mutual comfort to joke, tease, or tell inside jokes. This creates a laid back, enjoyable atmosphere, something pretty uncommon in most medical offices. To a new patient, this might seem like he's rude or unprofessional, so don't let it scare you off! Also, you probably will never see him without a bow tie on… It is also great that you don't need an appointment (except that first visit), so if I wake up not doing well or just feel like getting an adjustment between errands, I can just pop right in and "get in line." Hours for Dr. Pucka are weekdays 12pm-6pm, but Dr. Grace is available Tuesday and Friday 9am-3pm on top of 12pm-6pm Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. Follow their Facebook because if they have hour changes or have to close for the day for some reason, they will post it here. The fee structure is very simple--he doesn't process any insurance but you can ask for receipts to submit your own claims if your insurance works like that. I can come in and get an adjustment for $15 and then return any number of times that same day if I feel I need readjusted or something new is bothering me without being charged again. And I don't have to worry about a limit on the number of visits insurance allows. Again, you do have to have an appointment for that very first visit and it will cost a little more ($82) but that is because it includes case history, exam, x-rays, nerve studies, etc. to provide a thorough and accurate history and to make sure that it is safe to adjust you. So with an adjustment, the first visit is $97 (he will adjust you that first day if everything is hunky dory with the x-rays and tests, no waiting like with some chiropractors). After that visit, adjustments are just $15. Though if you do end up needing diagnostic testing again, like additional x-rays at a later time if you feel you've injured something, it is very affordable and MUCH cheaper than any doctor's office, urgent care, or hospital. Pucka's wife, Kim, also works in the office and is a massage therapist. They have hired another one or two massage therapists to keep up with demand. The pricing for massages is also very affordable—$1/minute for 15-90 minutes. On a side note--I had gone to Massage Envy recently right down the road from Spine Work on 38 and paid $85 (plus tip) for 1.5 hour massage. I was very impressed with the massage therapist, however I then learned that this price was "introductory" meaning only for the first massage. After that it would pretty much double (around $165!) unless you sign up for their membership. I was actually warned by people in the waiting room during that first visit to NOT sign the contract! So after researching and not finding a lot of massage options in Lafayette, I went with Spine Worx since I trust them with my spine anyways and the pricing is fair. They also provide acupuncture but I can't review them based on it since I've only done it once.

flag | Submitted April 5, 2017

Very laid back unique office and staff that do excellent work--have definitely helped my back and neck since I fell. Be prepared for totally different doctor experience then you normally have! A fun casual place that also sells whole cows milk, eggs, butter and health supplements.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2016

Dr Pucka is amazing!! after 7 years of problems with my leg, no doctor cared or even tried to fix my leg! Then I was brought to Dr Pucka's office he listened he cared and he fixed the troubles I was having and my leg is no longer a problem! Amazing doc, he is the Man and I appreciate what he has done for my daughters and myself! Thanks Dr P you are 1 of a kind! I am thankful that you are so caring! God bless you!

flag | Submitted September 18, 2014

After 25 years of Ciropractic care, I can unequivocally say that dr. Pucka is the best Chiropractor I have had by a large margin. After starting treatment with him about 7 years ago, I barely have to see him maybe once a year. Dr. Pucka is blessed with the gift of healing. He solves core problems that send you away healthy. He is an absolute blessing to his patients.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2013

Amazing chiropracter - true healer. He doesn't just fix the problem, he fixes the root of the problem. Plus, he is funny.

flag | Submitted December 20, 2011

My first visit ever with a chiropractor. Initial xrays and alignment check revealed many existing conditions from a life well lived.now we can start correcting some of this damage so the next half century can be as good as the fist was. Very impressed w/Dr's skill level, knowledge, bedside manner and no B.S. service and billing. I will be a returning patient and gladly recommend him to friends and family. All of his staff had a great sense of humor, were very helpful and informative.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2011

VERY caring and knowledgable. Be prepared to wait. His adjusting technique is more physical than others, but he gets to the issue. His wife, Kim, is the clinic massage therapist, and is exceptional.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2010

Dr. Pucka has a skill set and is more knowledgeable than any other medical professional I have seen in almost 5 years of debilitating headaches. He genuinely cares about his patients to the point that he researches, constantly updates treatment plans, and makes use of his good common sense. My case has defied all the traditional Western medicine methods. Dr. Pucka is the best and I plan to use his services for a long time. I did not get into my situation overnight, and it takes time to undo years of disease. If you have a challenging issue, I sincerely suggest that you contact his office for an initial visit. By the way, his prices are much more reasonable than any other competitor in our area. THANK YOU DR. PUCKA! Jim

flag | Submitted October 9, 2009

Very Impressed. Concerned about patient wellness. Not concerned about the politics and other crap that many health care members are focused on.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2009

Very knowledgeable! Wonderful and caring doctors and staff!!

flag | Submitted April 4, 2007