Outstanding Staff Badge

Ratings for Dr. Peter J. Millett

You have 2 options when it comes to hiring a surgeon.  Hire a good one, pay him a lot and move on with your life. Hire an incompetent one, pay him a lot, and continue to pay him or other surgeons for the rest of your life.  Peter Millett falls in the later.  I had shoulder surgery with him and had to have replacement within less than 3 years.  The replacement surgeon said the ligaments were screwed into the wrong place. He said when ligaments are put in the wrong place it leads to early arthritis.  I don't why Peter put the screws in the wrong place, my new surgeon says some doctors are incompetent.  There’s a dozen other shoulder surgeons at Steadman, choose anyone but Peter (he doesn’t deserve the title Dr if he doesn’t know which place to put ligaments). I read the positive comments below, I think Mr Millet paid his family to write them. His own website drmillett.com has over a dozen reviews and he has a perfect 100/100 for all of them. Don’t let this dweeb fool you, he will wreck your shoulder and go to the bank with a big smile on his face. You’ve been warned.

flag | Submitted September 2, 2018

Dr. Peter J. Millett's response
Dear Reviewer, We take pride in the quality of service and the outcomes we provide day in and day out for our patients. While we don’t have specific recollection of your case, we’re normally known for our exceptional attention to detail and outcomes, and we apologize that our service did not satisfy your expectations. We set high standards for ourselves and are truly sorry to hear that such a standard was not met in your interaction with our medical practice. Your happiness and surgical outcome are our priorities. We have some of top orthopaedic surgeons in the world and assure you that no one here is incompetent. In fact, Dr. Millett has extensive training, experience and credentials and is considered an international thought leader on the condition you describe. The claims that he is not competent are simply not true. Dr. Millett and team always strive to provide the highest quality of care and to do so in a highly personalized manner. Medicine and surgery are not perfect sciences, and unfortunately outcomes sometimes fail to achieve the desired effect. It is not from lack of caring or lack of skill. We are here to help, so please contact Amanda directly at 1 970-479-5879, so we can help remedy the situation. Sincerely, Dr. Millett and team

Submitted September 17, 2018

Had arthroscopic shoulder surgery with him. I think he hit a nerve and now I have shooting pain that hasn't abated in over a year. I asked him about it and he said I "sometimes surgery doesn't go well". Maybe if I had gone to someone else I wouldn't have needed to learn that lesson.

flag | Submitted August 9, 2018

Dr. Peter J. Millett's response
Since this is an anonymous review, we are not sure to whom it refers. If you are truly having trouble, we respectfully ask that you come back to see Dr Millett so that he can help you. While medicine will never be a perfect science, please know that Dr. Millett and his team will always do their absolute best to help their patients.

Submitted August 28, 2018

One of the most thoughtful and caring physicians I have ever met! Add his exceptional skill, and you have a winning combination! I highly recommend Dr. Millett!

flag | Submitted July 9, 2018

I had bilateral knee surgery with him. I could run before I saw him and now it hurts to walk across the street. Lateral release, medial release, I'm lucky this idiot didn't release my quad tendon. He has all the accolades, but when it comes to your knee he is guessing. You're playing with your life if you go to this man.

flag | Submitted June 25, 2018

Dr. Millet and the staff at The Steadman Clinic are the best! My rotator cuff surgery three years ago went exceedingly well. Trust Dr. Millet, and follow his recovery instructions and you will have fantastic results. Truly meticulous, state of the art surgery with your personal outcome goals in mind! Follow up exams were equally professional and personal! I have recommended Dr. Millett to friends and family and will continue to do so.

flag | Submitted December 22, 2017

I had 2 shoulder surgeries with Dr. Millett. After a couple surgeries prior to finding this amazing Doctor, team and facilities, I am fixed. I have and will continue to recommend Dr. Millett to my family and friends! Thank you so much for giving me my active, pain-free life back!

flag | Submitted July 18, 2017

My initial consult was timely and courteous and the staff was helpful and caring. Dr Millett was very professonal and gave me much hope for my atherofibrotic knee that has been operated on 6 times by different doctors only making it worse to no improvement, His words that he had seen worse than mine gave me much hope and confidence and I'm looking foward to having my surgery soon.

flag | Submitted October 6, 2014

Dr. Millett treated me for a knee injury. His staff was very attentive before, during and after the appointment.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2012

Doctor Millet replaced my shoulder two years ago. He did such a great job I going to schedule my knee for this spring. Great Guy, Cares, Helpful, and is a gift to shoulder replacement surgery

flag | Submitted August 16, 2011

Dr Millett and his team provided exceptional care, and I would refer a family member or close friend to him! The trip to Vail is clearly worth it! Dr Millett is not only a gifted surgeon because of my wonderful result after shoulder surgery but he is also caring and an excellent listener. Many of the nurses told me that they referred patients to him for surgery. His staff, including his therapists Christy and Dirk, worked exceedingly hard on making my entire recovery pleasant. The whole experience exceeded my expectations.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2008

Dr. Peter J. Millett's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Peter J. Millett is an internationally recognized orthopedic surgeon who specializes in disorders of the shoulder, knee, elbow and all sports-related injuries. As a partner at The Steadman Clinic, Dr. Millett has been consistently selected as one of the “Best Doctors in America” and has been ranked in the top 1% of Orthopaedic Surgeons by U.S. News and World Reports. Dedicated to quality patient care, Dr. Millett was awarded the 2017 Premium Care Physician by UnitedHealthcare. Through the use of advanced open and arthroscopic surgical techniques Dr. Millett focuses on restoring damaged joints, ligaments and bones in the shoulder, elbow and knee. From weekend warriors to pro athletes, Dr. Millett provides the same world-class skill and personalized care to treat all patients. As a shoulder and sports medicine specialist, Dr. Millett has treated elite athletes from the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, PGA, Formula One, X-Games, and the Olympics. Board Certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Dr. Millett is also a member of numerous academic societies including the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, the Orthopaedic Research Society, the Arthroscopy Association of North America, and the German Arthroscopy Association (AGA). Dr. Millett is a member of the prestigious Sports Council and was recently honored to join the The Herodicus Society, which is considered the Sports Medicine All-Star Society. Prior to coming to Vail, Dr. Millett held a faculty appointment at Harvard Medical School and was formerly Co-Director of the Harvard Shoulder Service and the Harvard Shoulder Fellowship. While in Boston, he also founded and directed the Musculoskeletal Proteomics Research Group at Harvard, where his team discovered and patented the protein profile for osteoarthritis. His clinical practice in Boston was based at the prestigious Brigham & Women’s and Massachusetts General Hospitals. He has authored over 200 peer-reviewed, scientific articles, numerous book chapters, and 4 books on Orthopedics, Sports Medicine, and Shoulder Surgery. You can view much of his work under the Press and Publication area of his website. His academic work has been recognized with awards from several international societies, including the 2016 Achievement Award from the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons for his contributions to the field. In addition to his clinical excellence, he was also recently honored with the 2016 Outstanding Teacher Award from the fellows of the Steadman Clinic and Steadman Philippon Research Institute. Through his dedication to research and innovation, Dr. Millett helped pioneer an advanced arthroscopic shoulder surgery known as the Comprehensive Arthroscopic Management (CAM) procedure. CAM helps young, active patients with osteoarthritis delay or avoid shoulder replacement. He is also known for his work on advanced and complex rotator cuff repair, having developed a double row repair technique (Speed Bridge) that is one of the most commonly used surgical methods to repair torn rotator cuff tendons. Dr. Millett serves as the medical director for Ski and Snowboard Club Vail. He has served as a team physician for the United States Ski and Snowboard Association (U.S. Ski Team) and as a consultant to the Montreal Canadiens, professional hockey club. He is currently a consultant to the NHL Players Association and the MLB Players Association. He served as Chair of the Research Committee for the Arthroscopy Association of North America and as Chair of the Education Committee of the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons. He serves on the board of overseers and the scientific advisory board of the Steadman Philippon Research Institute. He is an Ambassador for the US Ski and Snowboard Team and is a member of the Visionary Research Society of the Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation. Dr. Millett also works as a consultant to a number of medical device, pharmaceutical, and medical education companies including Arthrex, Myos, Ivy, Game Ready, and VuMedi to help advance the treatment of orthopaedic and sports medicine disorders. A native of Pennsylvania, Dr. Millett received his undergraduate degree from the University of Scranton, in Scranton, Pennsylvania and his medical degree from Dartmouth Medical School in Hanover, New Hampshire. He also studied as a research scholar at the University of Cambridge in England, where he was awarded a master’s degree in science (M.Sc.) for his work in skeletal biology. His work focused on molecular mechanisms of pathologic bone loss and its prevention. Dr. Millett performed his orthopaedic residency training at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City, part of Cornell University’s Medical School and one of the oldest and most prestigious orthopaedic residency program in the country. While there, he twice received the Lewis Clark Wagner Award for excellence in orthopaedic research as well as the American Orthopaedic Association – Zimmer Travel Award, a national award for orthopaedic research. Dr. Millett earned additional subspecialty, fellowship training in sports medicine, knee and shoulder surgery with Drs. Richard Steadman and Richard Hawkins in Vail, Colorado. As a fellow, he also served as an associate physician for the Denver Broncos professional football team, the Colorado Rockies Major League Baseball team, and the U.S. Ski Team. Dr. Millett and his wife have four children and are very active in the Vail Valley community, serving as a member of the Future Founders Society of the Vail Valley Foundation and as parishioners of St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Church and School. An avid outdoorsman, Dr. Millett also enjoys skiing, cycling, and fly fishing and is a past board member of the American Museum of Fly Fishing.

• English

• Dartmouth Medical School (Grad. 1995)

• Frozen Shoulder Treatment