Ratings for Dr. Barry S. Katz

Went in for my first visit with Dr.Katz. He was rude immediately upon walking in the room and throughout the whole appointment. Extremely unhelpful, and did not listen to any of my concerns. After reading such positive reviews, I am very very disappointed in the treatment I received. I will not be returning, and will not recommend this doctor to friends and family in search of a new physician.

flag | Submitted August 11, 2017

My family and I were patients Dr Katz from 2000-2009, in that time he misdiagnoses every member of my family, was always in a rush, seemed unsure of what to do and like many others here I noticed that he writes a lot of prescriptions. I had an MRI and he called me himself to tell me that he was "looking at a normal MRI " of my spine. I got a second opinion from a neuro-surgeon, and when I asked him if he thought my MRI was normal, he laughed out loud and said "No, who told you that?" It turned out that I had 2 herniated and 1 bulging lumbar discs (normal? not even close and the report said all of this at the bottom and bold so I'm left wondering if he can't read or did he not look at it before he called me?) After trying steroid injections and other conservative treatments, I had surgery to fuse and replace L4 and L5 with titanium in 2012. I am very grateful that I sought a second opinion because if I hadn't I would still be in pain today. I would be very interested to know whether he left PPCP voluntarily or was he fired finally for incompetence. Before he left them he was moved from family practice to weight loss only and I am sure there was a reason for that. I find it scary that Roper St Francis has employed him and I sure hope they looked at his PPCP records first. To potential patients I would just advise beware, and steer clear if you need treatment for serious health conditions. If you just have a cold or allergies he can probably handle that but don't trust him with your life.

flag | Submitted August 8, 2017

I've been going to Dr Katz for about 6 years. I've all ways been listen to he has never never brushed me off. He's a great Dr. His staff is amazing. I'm glad he left palmetto primary. He's better off. They want there Dr's to Hurd you through like cattle. I h a ve friends who go to other palmetto primary care places and are looking for different drs. 2 are coming to dr Katz now that his not with them anymore. Thanks DR KATZ AND STAFF

flag | Submitted July 21, 2016

Calling the office takes at least three times to get through. I will hold no more than 5 minutes. Poor customer service. Good doc but my time is as valuable as theirs.

flag | Submitted April 26, 2016

Wait time is up to one hour. Receptionist says they are always at least one hour behind.

flag | Submitted October 23, 2015

I moved down from Ohio and I been a patient for about 5 months. So far I been impressed

flag | Submitted February 3, 2015

I agree with every negative comment about Katz that I've read. Instead of trying to figure out what's wrong he just gives more pills. He kept blowing off the fact that my daughters ear was itching so bad she couldn't stand it, and that her tongue stays raw..(said it was her taste buds) finally insisted on a referral for her tongue to an ENT and that doctor found (and fixed) the ear problem (her tube had not fell out it had went inside her eardrum), now we are going back to the ENT for the tongue issue. I have never had or been diagnosed with high blood pressure yet he put me on 2 medications for it... He dismissed my daughter and me...said he didn't feel I had faith in him as a doctor.....I DON'T! So in MY words we were dismissed because I voiced my opinion. He said I could still use Palmetto Primary Care, just not him. He is wrong on that also. I can't be seen by any of them so that was a bold faced lie (MY opinion again). So I'm out of my meds he has me "hooked' on and I'm having major problems finding a new doctor. Now I'm understanding how so many people have break downs and do crazy things. Maybe when someone does something crazy, instead of checking their past they should check their physicians past. Had plenty of other issues.....but you get the idea. (Will this comment and rating come back and bite me in the butt like everything else I've ever said or thought about B.S. Katz)

flag | Submitted October 8, 2014

Dr. Barry Katz is an incompetent pill pusher. I went to see him numerous times, presenting with an uncomfortable skipping heartbeat. It bothered me so much that I went to the e/r numerous times and spent a ton of money, but good old Barry, who is in such a rush to see as many patients as he could in a day, would write me a prescription to try, and when that didn't work he wrote me another. I wore a cardiac event monitor for a month and provided pages and pages of irregular beats, so he prescribed Paxil, a drug not suitable for a dog. It was only when my pharmacist (pharm D) looked at what I was taking and recommended a different therapy to Dr. Katz, that I received a letter from the practice saying they needed to terminate our patient-doctor relationship. Remember me Barry? The course of meds that the pharmacist recommended worked. Barry Katz should not be allowed to work on a cabbage patch kid! Would not be surprised to see malpractice suit in his future. Stay away!

flag | Submitted February 25, 2014

He refused to do a blood test after I had a surgery procedure done at Summerville Medical Center.He stated that he could look at me and tell I was not sick . so i got a new primary who was as bad as this quack but, after arguring 45 minute i finally got a blood test and it showed a infection......................Get a different primary if you care about your health and then this quack refused to tell me what type of infection I had.

flag | Submitted April 9, 2013

This person is too involved in quantities, not qualities. He suggests coming in for a physical and then asks why you are there when you come in. Ill prepared to deal with patients.

flag | Submitted January 1, 2012

Dr. Barry S. Katz's Credentials

• Medical University Of South Carolina College Of Medicine (Grad. 1995)

Top Hospitals in Summerville, SC