Ratings for Dr. Sergiu Marcus

I have no doubt he saved the vision in my left eye, and I found him to be a good human being who I could trust. He’s well educated and well skilled in his field; if you were looking for someone who fit the ideal definition of “doctor” he’s as close as I’ve seen in a long time.

flag | Submitted February 1, 2015

I was very worried when I was referred to Dr. Marcus by my regular ophthalmologist for further testing after cataract surgery. I was told that the wait to see Dr. Marcus would be long and the examination lengthy. I learned, while waiting to see the doctor, patients had traveled from all parts of Long Island and some from out of state to see him. I was taken into the back by a lovely young woman who made me feel relaxed and in very good hands. His staff was by far the most pleasant, competent, knowledgeable, and patient group I have ever encountered in the medical field. I found Dr. Marcus, himself, to be professional, thorough, extremely well educated, and dedicated. I overheard him making arrangements to come from Manhattan on his only day off to check on a patient that he was staying late to perform emergency surgery on later that day. After my pictures and tests were reviewed, I was told my condition was stable and to come back in six months. I love my new doctor!

flag | Submitted May 5, 2009

Dr. Marcus took care of my grandmother for her diabetic eye condition for years. My grandmother was a very difficult patient, but he was always kind to her and explained everything to us in a way we could understand. I would recommend Dr. Marcus as a doctor to anyone... and actually have. My father now sees him for his diabetic eye condition. My family's experiance has been that the staff is kind and knowledgable, and Dr. Marcus is a wonderful doctor. I hope this is helpful to anyone looking for a retina doctor.

flag | Submitted May 5, 2009

I was dianosed with Diabetic Retinopathy for about 14ys now.. Ive been under the care of Dr.Sergiu Marcus for about 14ys now,, i could honestly say that his laser treatment have help my eyesight stay the same for so long.. He is a very knowledgable and understanding DR,,he will always be highly recommended by me..

flag | Submitted March 31, 2009

This Doctor in my opinion is completely incompetent. My mother went to him for a hole in her macular.....and the end result is he most defintely did a procedure that was not only unecessary but resulted in a detached retina and total blindness in her eye! He was just as the previous post described....he was heavy handed and made the procedure seem imperative to my mother. She went in on a Fridy morning for what she was told by the surgical coordinator as a procedure that would enable her to go back to work that Monday... She never returned back to work and has since lost her job because of the treatment she got from this doctor. He left stitches in her eye that in essence scratched her eye repeatedly as she blinked (like barbed wire). Subsequent doctors seen by her were appalled by what condition her eye was in. We would NEVER reccommend this doctor to anyone. Sadly we found out too late to do anything about it....But maybe this could prevent someone else from becoming his victim!!!

flag | Submitted February 16, 2009

I was referred to Dr. Marcus by my regular opthamologist of 20 years who said that I was okay but that he wanted to have a second opinion. Laser surgery was mentioned by one the staff of Marcus before I even saw the doctor. This man actually hurt me during the examination he was heavy-handed and tried to scare me into having a laser treatment that I did not need and then when I said that I was paying out-of-pocket, he ended the exam and left the room. Not trusting Marcus at all, I went to another retina specialist within a few days and he did the same exact tests and did not hurt me at all and said that I was fine and should not worry and that he would see me in 6 months. So two doctors agreed that I did not need further treatment and this Dr. Marcus was the only person wanting to do a an expensive procedure on my eye that I did not need. I would not recommend him to anyone...ever!

flag | Submitted August 15, 2007

Dr. Sergiu Marcus's Credentials

• Cornell University Medical College (Grad. 1981)

Healthnet