Ratings for Dr. John A. Gillen

I have had two surgeries performed by Dr. Gillen. My first surgery was for a torn meniscus in my left knee. Rest, ice and medication were not enough to relieve the pain so I opted for surgery. That was 8 years ago and my knee has been like new ever since. When I began to experience severe shoulder pain after an injury two years ago, I consulted Dr. Gillen again. The MRI indicated a torn rotator cuff. Dr. Gillen performed surgery and recommended that I follow up with therapy. My shoulder is completely healed as if there had never been any problem. In both cases, Dr. Gillen spent quite a bit of time with me explaining my options, and I found him to be very knowledgeable and concerned about prescribing the best long term solution for my condition. The members of his staff are very friendly and efficient in helping with everything from taking x-rays, to scheduling MRIs, to insuring proper post surgical care and therapy. I highly recommend Dr. Gillen and his staff.

flag | Submitted July 20, 2015

Dr Gillen took great care of my back problem. I would highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2013

Outstanding physician! Took a lot of time with me and explained everything

flag | Submitted January 4, 2013

My experience was very good the Doctor was great from the beginning and has continued after my operation. I had a very serious back surgery and will have a lengthy recovery period.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2011

Dr. Gillen's bedside manner leaves much to be desired. If you decide to have him do your surgery do not expect much from him concerning your after-care. Make sure you do your OWN research and do not have unrealistic expectations, regardless of what Dr. Gillen might tell you.

flag | Submitted June 18, 2011

I was concerned about this doctor after reading some of his ratings, even after my first visit. But prior to surgery, he really came through and has been great ever since. I had a partial diskectomy done and now 2wks out feeling MUCH better. During any appointments or talks, he has been very helpful, asking lots of questions to make sure everything is okay. He always includes my wife, making sure to answer any questions she has as well. The nurses and assistants at the hospital told me (before surgery) that Dr. Gillen is very structured and organized. I would recommend him to anyone and am very happy with his service.

flag | Submitted August 8, 2010

Doctor Gillen was not very helpful with my mother. He told her that her shoulder would never get better. My mother did get better, without his help. . She learned more on the internet than what information he gave us. He gave us no help and he was rude about it. We will never go back.

flag | Submitted August 4, 2010

The Doctor was very rude and seemed uncaring. He didn't answer questions fully and was cryptic. I would not recommend this doctor to anyone and will not be seeing him again.

flag | Submitted August 1, 2010

He is an excellent physician who spends lots of time with you if necessary.

flag | Submitted September 29, 2009

Very poor bedside manner. I saw the doctor for about 10 minutes. He recommended I have an MRI and X-ray (X-ray was a waste of money) and then when I got the MRI results saying I had an ACL tear, his assistant called me about the results, not the Dr. When I asked to speak with him directly he refused and said I had to schedule an appt.

flag | Submitted August 21, 2009

Dr. John A. Gillen's Credentials

• University Of Missouri, Columbia School Of Medicine (Grad. 1985)