Ratings for Dr. James E. Dowd

I spent almost 1 year with my primary trying to resolve what could be the cause of my pain. He finally recommended Dr. Dowd to evaluate my condition. After an entire physical and verbal evaluation Dr. Dowd diagnosed me with Fibro and PTSD. I inquired about possible Lyme disease. He claimed there is no reason to consider Lyme since I didn't remember a tick bite. He claimed that my PTSD flares would created fight or flight response which triggered my fibro to worsen during those times. No labs, no tests, just a bs diagnosis and perscription to change my way of thinking, read a book and attend a few seminars. I also struggle with a severe vitamin D deficiency, 50,000 UTI weekly for over a year. Dr. Dowd recommended I lower the dose to an OTC supplement on a daily basis. My primary said this would be a negative outcome since over a years time my vitamin D levels are just in normal range with the large weekly supplement. Bottom line, remember the Lyme concern I had....3 months after Dr. Dowds evaluation I was diagnosed with 2 strains of Lyme. I suffer from chronic lyme even after 3 plus months of picc line antibiotic treatment. If Dr. Dowd tells you its a brain game seek a second opinion.

flag | Submitted June 26, 2017

I have been seeing Dr. Dowd for 3 years and I couldn't hardly walk, stand because my pain was so bad. He did take tests and put me on a couple of meds plus vitamins and may I say he is a wonderful. I'm 75 and feel like 30 thanks to him. I felt so much better after less than two weeks after seeing him. I wouldn't trade him for anything, and I've been to many rheumatoligist's.

flag | Submitted January 12, 2016

I have been seeing Dr Dowd for about 8 years. I first seen him for a severe and reoccurring gout attack. I have not had an attack since he got the original diagnosis under control. I woukd definitely recommend Dr Dowd!

flag | Submitted April 10, 2015

Not helpful at all. What a waste of time and money. He talked the whole time, and basically said my brain was causing all of my pain. My home life must be stressful . Which it is not. Doesn't believe in giving medications to help with your pain, because you need to train your brain. Once again it's your mind causing the pain. Don't waste your time or your money. No labs, no test he did nothing but tell me what I write above.

flag | Submitted December 23, 2013

Dr Dowd shouldn't even be called a Dr. He lectured for 2 hours about meditating and journaling. If I did those things, my pain would go away. He ordered no tests to see if there was something going on. He just lectured and puffed himself up with his book writing skills and the fact that he doesn't use medicine. I truly wish I would never have entered into his office. I have since found a rheumatologist who has done lab tests and accurately diagnosed me and I have found tremendous help. NO thanks to Mr Dowd.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2013

Could not figure anything out even though I was referred by another specialist.

flag | Submitted October 17, 2011

My Dr.for 2 yrs. Didn't change my meds until the 3rd visit of complaints.At 1st came across ok. If you don't progress he gets frustrated and tries to blame everything on past trauma or stress. Refuses to use any pain meds and believes pain management services like epidurals/facet injections are a placebo effect. He sites alot of studies to make his point. However since I am in the medical profession myself much of his studies were not applicable. It comes down to treating the pt. not the lab results. My case was difficult and I believe he became frustrated when his pat answers and pat interventions didn't work with me. I would NOT recommend him as he is only there to push his agenda. And I was compliant with his recommendations but when I was told to ignore the pain and tell my brain it is not that bad...that was the last straw. If you have a mild case of any immune disorder, he will be ok. If you have a difficult case then I would not recommend him.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2010

Did not explain things clearly, used too much jargon. Also, did not mention an important side effect of our daughter's illness, which we read about several times online, and the doctor we took her to for a second opinion said was essential to monitor.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2009

flag | Submitted September 14, 2005

flag | Submitted September 14, 2005

Dr. James E. Dowd's Credentials

• University Of Texas Medical School At Houston (Grad. 1987)