Ratings for Dr. Walter P. Duzey

In short: This office is an absolute scam - they will tell you one thing regarding their services and charges and then months later stick you with an absurd bill full of things they will insist to you are covered by insurance and that you don't know. I only know two other individuals that have gone to Duzey Family Chiropractic and they both had surprise charges of over $200 sprung upon them 10-15 visits into their treatment. I would not recommend this "doctor" or his office to anyone I know. I went to Duzey Family Chiropractic at the suggestion of a friend who, shortly after I started going, stopped for the same reasons I am about to explain for my own discontinuation of business for this establishment. During my first visit, I received a very extensive consultation with both the RN in the office and Dr. Duzey - they were both very thorough and explained a treatment plan for the problems they diagnosed with my spine and hips. As this was a problem I'd needed addressed for a while, I decided to pursue treatment right away and scheduled a second visit. Now let me preface what came next with the fact that I called my insurance provider and was told that my insurance covered up to 20 visits a year as long as they were PT-oriented. This to me sounded very straightforward - it also made it fairly clear that insurance would not pay for the injections the RN on staff pushed so heavily on all patients. Because she insisted it was absolutely crucial for my treatment and would mean the difference between a speedy recovery and months of work, I told her my reasoning for being hesitant about the injections was due to insurance not covering it - I am a college student and was unemployed at the time, so I was in no position to be receiving services that my insurance would not cover fully. Not ONCE, not TWICE, but THREE times I was told explicitly "oh honey you have nothing to worry about, see I bill under medical because I'm a nurse - this will be charged to your insurance separately from the chiropractor visits so you won't have to pay a thing". She then continued to ask me what insurance I had and then when I told her, she pulled in her "billing lady" (I later learned that Janice, the "billing lady" is the only one in the office that handles any billing transactions) and I was told for a FOURTH time that yes, they guaranteed that my insurance would cover the injections and I'd owe nothing. I went for a total of about 10 visits before I started to get a very uneasy feeling about the office. They pushed $200-$300 "home exercise" kits repeatedly, clearly not understanding the difference between what was necessary and what wasn't when on a students budget. I also only saw the chiropractor himself for a total of perhaps 5 minutes every few visits, the rest of the time was spent doing a few exercises, getting electrodes stuck to me to stimulate my back, and injections in my neck. I will say this - I did feel a slight improvement in the mobility and flexibility of my back and neck. However, I chose to discontinue going to Duzey Family Chiropractic because I realized my exercises were being "supervised" by an untrained secretary - meaning I could have just as easily gone on youtube and looked up exercises at home for free - and I really disliked the way I felt like I was constantly being pushed and prodded for more. I was told that I absolutely "needed" to spend $300 on a kit with a few foam risers and a device to stretch my neck. I was told I "just had" to buy vitamins that, altogether added to upwards of $100+. The small improvement I felt (which could have very easily been because I also stopped studying and spent more time exercising and relaxing during that same period of time) no longer outweighed the irritation and the bad vibe I got from the office and most of the individuals in it. I finally had enough and stopped going. My last visit to Duzey Family Chiropractic was in December. Flash forward to about February and I received a bill from them for something around $300. I called in order to understand what I was being charged for and why. I left a message with the receptionist, trying to get a hold of their billing department. No one returned my call. I called again. No call back. Finally, after a third time calling I decided that if my money was that important to them, they would have to call me back - I wasn't going to run after them to give them money that I didn't even have. I heard nothing from Duzey Family Chiropractic after that incident. I graduated college, got married, and moved out of state the summer following. On July 27th, in a pile of mail forwarded from my previous address, I found a bill that was printed on July 21st from Dr. Duzey's office telling me I now owed them $700. Irate from the complete blindsiding of this situation, I called and expressed my frustration and shock as to how I could receive a bill 7 months after service after being lied to at the office over and over again saying I would owe nothing. Janice, the individual in charge of billing, was rude, aggressive, and belittling - I had to actually say "please don't interrupt me" while explaining what was wrong with the situation. It bottomlined to her telling me my options were cough up the money - despite anything her office said about what I would owe - or they'd send it to collections to ruin my credit. When I realized she was literally throwing a temper tantrum, I asked her what she would do to compensate me for the surprise of a bill 7 months later and for her office lying to my face. She agreed to reduce the bill to $500 but insisted it was all legitimate charges and that she "knows the women in that office and they wouldn't lie" despite apologizing that they "may not have given accurate information". When I told her that I wouldn't have received the services - as I originally planned - if I hadn't been convinced that they would be covered by insurance, she essentially told me too bad so sad. Duzey Family Chiropractic does not need my money - they make that much and more in a day just by selling vitamins to poor fools who buy into the junk they spew. If this business were really looking out for the patients, they would have either brought the problem to my attention in the beginning, addressed it in February when I called three times to figure the situation out, or when it resurfaced in July they could and should have simply dropped the charges. Had they brought it up right away I would have paid off what I owed and simply stopped receiving the treatments. Bottom line: DO NOT VISIT THIS PROVIDER. They are liars and will take you for all you're worth - and more, especially if you're a college student.

flag | Submitted August 14, 2014

Dr. Duzey is awesome! He got me in right away and is helping with a neck injury from a car accident!

flag | Submitted September 1, 2011

poor service, untrained staff, atmosphere uncomfortable

flag | Submitted July 29, 2008

Doctor is friendly, warming and easy to talk to. Listens to what you have to say and helps you in any way he can. Office feels like home and staff is friendly, nice, and extremely helpfull.

flag | Submitted April 3, 2006

Dr. Walter P. Duzey's Credentials

• Los Angeles College Of Chiropractic (Grad. 1992)

Top Hospitals in Libertyville, IL