Ratings for Dr. Gary E. Hsich

Let me start by saying that I am grateful for the expertise of the doctors at the Cleveland Clinic, and for the fact that they are right here in Cleveland. I have a high regard for doctors and probably more respect than the average person. That having been said, today my 14 year old son and I met a pediatric neurologist whose comments and advice made me question his credentials. Dr. Gary Hsich should not be employed as a physician, let alone at the Clinic. I am somewhat at fault for not looking him up and reading his reviews before the appointment, but in all fairness, when I go to the Clinic I come with a certain amount of trust for who they employ. I came home and told my husband what I thought this man was suggesting, essentially that our son was faking his concussion. I felt almost ashamed saying that out loud, and confused as to why/how he could say that, because those words never came out of Dr. Hsich's mouth. But as I reiterated the 90 minute conversation, I let his words and actions sink in. He asked my son to leave the room, and later told me he didn't feel that the headaches from reading or light sensitivity were a "medical condition." For some reason, I didn't contest that. I guess I assumed he meant that it was only caused by the concussion and was nothing more to worry about. Throughout the entire conversation he contradicted himself many times, and I did call him out on that (in the most mild way I could) He basically explained that diagnosing a concussion is all based on subjectivity (it is clinically diagnosed and cannot proven by things like an EKG or blood test). In his words, the only way to diagnose a concussion is based on what the patient says his/her symptoms are, and for Dr. Hsich, he is nothing but skeptical of that! He told me that my son should go to school tomorrow. He said that there was a study done a year ago of people with concussions split into 2 groups: half were told to "do nothing" (brain rest, sit in a dark room, no sound, no screens) and the other half were told to do things "as tolerable." (Those, by the way, are the 2 schools of thought, from my experience). The people who practiced brain rest took much longer to recover. I asked him for a link so I could read the study, but he couldn't find it. (It makes me question if it even exists). We went to him because the first available appointment not at the main campus was not until weeks out. He was the only neurologist with an opening today. Now I know why. I will be filling out every complaint form I can get to until he is removed. I want to contest even paying for the appointment. Everyone says the same thing: "he told me my kid was making up their condition." Why has the Cleveland Clinic not let him go?

flag | Submitted September 6, 2017

Absolutely unbelievable doctor. To be frank, I don't even understand how Cleveland Clinic keeps this man on staff. EVERY SINGLE PERSON I've spoken with who has had an appointment with him (including my son) says the same thing. He is RUDE, DISMISSIVE, and thinks EVERY CHILD IS FAKING IT and EVERY PARENT IS ABUSING THEIR CHILD with medical care. Unfreakingbelievable. He black lists everyones neurology records at CCF with his disgusting notes of calling every parent a liar. RUN as far as you can. This guy needs FIRED CCF!

flag | Submitted June 3, 2015

Dr. Hsich is in charge of the myelomeningocele clinic. At the clinic Dr. Hsich told my daughter that she needs to deal with the pain . Life is not easy. After the 3 surgery my daughter had, which were all neurological issue. He was very passive and not understanding of the issues. A couple weeks later we received his notes in the mail. 90 percent of his note was copied and pasted from previous notes. And the other 10 percent was incorrect. Which happens to be a legal document. I would not recommend your child to see him. No compassion what so ever.

flag | Submitted April 28, 2015

Dr. Hsich was very dismissive of my child's symptoms. When we first saw him, it had been after nearly a month of daily headaches in my 3 year old child. He said just to keep an eye on it, and my child seemed fine (just because they didn't have a headache for the 15 minutes we saw him, doesn't mean they doesn't suffer from them.) After I called several times and begged for an MRI, it was done, and congenital issue was discovered and our care was transfered to a neurosurgeon. I needed to follow up with him awhile later for insurance, and he was totally dismissive (even though there is physically something wrong as confirmed by several neurosurgeons). I ordered the records and he noted that my child was fine, and that I was an "overprotective parent". I suggest you stay as far away from this doctor as possible. If you note on his profile, one of his specialties is "Pediatric Neurology Child abuse Factitious disorders" which is a huge red flag! He thinks everyone is faking!

flag | Submitted July 21, 2014

I also feel like this doctor was very dismissive and decided within seconds that I was making up my son's symptoms. Even after explaining that I didn't request an appointment from him but was referred to neurology from 2 other specialists, including a neurosurgeon, he continued to be rude. My son had brain surgery 2 months prior and Dr Hsich asked me what exactly I was hoping to achieve with this surgery. He rolled his eyes and laughed when I again explained our situation and initial MRI results. He proceeded to tell me that my son's speech issues shouldn't concern me at this point (he is 3) and that if he still can't talk by the age of 10 or 15 years old then I can worry about it. I was stunned. I have never talked to a professional that didn't support Early Intervention. I actually walked out of the appointment after about 15 minutes. As a concerned parent, I did not need to be treated this way and my son certainly deserved better. I strongly recommend finding a different neurologist.

flag | Submitted February 4, 2014

He was very thorough with my daughter. They worked us in because we had flown in for the day from Kentucky.... He spent over 3 hours with us. I could not have asked for more....

flag | Submitted September 10, 2012

flag | Submitted July 19, 2012

Wow,what a waste of time! After spending literally 5 minutes with our daughter he basically told us it was in her head! What did he base his opinion on? That is the big question. He ignored my daughters other doctors opinions and did not listen to us ,the parents who know what we have been experiencing and know our daughter! Desperate parents who want answers DO NOT see this doctor! He did not order 1 test! How he is still in practice is a mystery!

flag | Submitted August 23, 2011

He is very closed minded, handed us what seems to be his standard diagnosis ("it's all in your head") and boilerplate solution ("learn to cope, do some relaxation exercises"), ignored patient's past medical history as well as opinions from other neurologists.

flag | Submitted March 20, 2009

I find him abrupt and impatient. He acts like i'm "faking" my illness. He talks too fast-and I have to insist he stay until all my questions are answered and he always type on his computer and pretend he is in a different world something is wrong with his doctor I wonder how did he recieve his Medical Degree?

flag | Submitted December 16, 2007

Dr. Gary E. Hsich's Credentials

• Johns Hopkins University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1996)