Ratings for Dr. Paul A. Manner

I have no limitations and much improved comfort as a result of both total knee replacements with Dr. Paul A. Manner two years ago. There was little need for medication. It was very evident that he did his job and helped me to understand the importance of my effort to rehabilitate the knees. I appreciate the directness. I cannot imagine any better result.

flag | Submitted June 26, 2017

Dr. Manner did 2 hip revisions on my right hip in 1999 and 2003. And due to his skilled revisions I have been able to walk without a cane for 17 years. My right hip was originally replaced by Dr. Greater in 1994 when I was in my late 40's. Unfortunately I started having hip pain and problems in a couple of years. Dr. Greater told me there was nothing he could do to help me since my cup was degrading and I would be stuck with the pain. Dr. Manner who was working in Washington DC at the time looked at my x-rays and decided he was going to help me. So when he did my surgery in April 1999 he found that the DePuy cup that had been put in was defective. Due to the breaking down of the bad cup and my body attacking the bad particles he had to clean them out and put in a new cup. In 2003 due to the former breakdown of the bad original DePuy cup, my new bone Dr. Manner had put in during my 1999 revision had still not taken hold. So in 2003 he put in a zimmer brace and new bone from my own body which has held my hip perfectly together for 17 years with little to no pain. Thanks to him I would not have been walking so perfectly all these years. In 2003 my left hip became bad and he replaced that with the newer simpler surgery and that hip has been perfect with no pain for 13 years. Dr. Manner is a very caring and skilled doctor. I am being told now where I live in Florida that I may need revisions on both hips due to the shifting of the ball due to the breakdown of my cups. Since my surgeries in 1999 and 2003 I have stayed in touch with Dr. Manner who has kindly reviewed my x-rays from time to time that I have sent him and he has shared his opinions as to what is needed with both of my replaced hips. If I need surgery in the future I plan to have him do it even if I have to fly from Florida to Washington state. I trust him with my completely!! Marla Hunt Florida

flag | Submitted August 9, 2016

I am almost 10 months post THR surgery. I am 48 yo 5'5" F, 120lbs, previously very active. I spent the first 5 months on crutches after the surgery, unable to put much weight on my leg and in horrible pain. I had huge hematomas for the first 7+ weeks surrounding the incision that required one ER visit. Lots of nerve pain to this day. My thigh is numb from below my knee to my hip but still very painful. My leg is now longer than the other one. My toes point inward as the prosthetic was put in with a slight twist. The acetabulum overhangs my pelvis. (too big) My leg has limited mobility/movement now as it doesn't go to the side or back very well. I have to concentrate to walk through the pain and make it work. Nowhere in my surgery notes does the doctor correctly state my diagnosis or problem with the hip which required the surgery. I am still sorry I had the surgery as I'm in more pain today than I was before I had the surgery, plus I have all these other issues to deal with as well. At a post op visit following an ER visit the doctor told me my issues were my fault as I had anxiety over the surgery. *I did not have any anxiety over the surgery until it was over and ended up being a nightmare. According to Dr. Manner, this was a "perfect" hip replacement. If this is his perfection, I wouldn't recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted October 29, 2014

Had a minimally invasive hip replacement and was up that afternoon and was walking a few days later without a cane. Had the second one done a year latter and everything went just as well.

flag | Submitted April 12, 2012

Had a minimal hip replacement from him. Surgery resulted in severe femoral nerve damage. Can't take a single step without pain in spite of several years of physical therapy....the pain is something I'll have to live with the rest of my life. Manner was in denial that he or his staff did anything wrong...his demeanor was basically to "suck up" the pain when the nerve pain started after surgery. Was placed on mega-doses of oxycontin which did no good....only trips back to the hospital where I was administered morphine did the pain subside.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2012

outstanding surgical skills

flag | Submitted September 16, 2006

Dr. Paul A. Manner's Credentials

• Mc Gill Univ, Fac Of Med, Montreal, Que, Canada (Grad. 1991)