Ratings for Dr. Helene A. Emsellem

I was referred by an ENT who had assured me that we would avoid CPAP therapy. I conducted an at-home sleep study. The resulting data apparently alarmed Dr. Emsellem, and she expedited my case. Unfortunately, the result was that I was never consulted about my own therapy. My insurance company was consulted without my knowledge, with a pre-authorization for a CPAP purchase. I was contacted by efficient but very unpleasant millennial staff who raced me through appointments and plans but who never gave me a chance to understand 1) what apnea was, 2) what options existed for treating apnea and 3) what CPAP therapy entailed. The next thing I know, I was fitted for a CPAP mask and told to select a machine. I was never given the opportunity to provide feedback, ask questions, relay concerns or participate in any way to this plan. I felt like a child being led around. By the time I consulted with Dr. Emsellem, I felt as if I were being sold a plan rather than listened to. Worst of all, only when I received my CPAP machine was I told that I would be expected to make a copay for the machine and monthly payments for repair parts. I was never told ahead of time what to expect in terms of cost. I feel conned and mistreated. There is no real sense of patient care in this operation. I get the feeling that the ultimate goal are profit and patient capacity. The office -- in an extremely expensive part of the Washington, DC, area -- is overbooked and underserves. Please rethink this option for sleep therapy. If you do choose these people, I strongly advise you to do your own research on therapy for apnea ahead of time. This service is about selling you a CPAP machine. Whether or not it is a viable treatment -- and I am not saying that it is not -- you as a patient deserve the breadth of knowledge a sleep specialist should provide.

flag | Submitted May 26, 2016

I hit bottom as my sleep disorder had become my life. I let staff know this when I made the appt. Still unable to get appt for *5* Months!!!! They said they'd put me on a cancell. list. I called periodically but no luck. On appt day,I was SO hopeful. I was disappointed I was to see Linda, one of Dr E's minions. She was cold as ice, no emotion or compassion, took information in robotic style. I never saw a smile or felt even a hint of warmth. I told her I *wanted* to be evaluated overnight to see why I was unable to sleep or if I took a benzo to relax to sleep, why I kept awakening. Unless you have sleep apnea or are a DC elitist, forget it. After Linda was done w/me, Dr E bounced into the rm, full of vim, vigor, and herself. She looked over Linda's notes, said little, then blew me off with a name of a shrink who would dispense the right "anti-dep". I was devastated. BEEN THERE! That's how I got to Emsellem! Later, I sent Linda a note requesting relaxing music and she never responded.

flag | Submitted December 30, 2012

You will not get to see or talk to the doctor after your initial visit. I was very disappointed with the quality of care I received here. I found this office inflexible, felt like I was given a constant runaround, and there was very little focus on the patient or integrated care. Given the options for sleep doctors in DC, GO ELSEWHERE!!

flag | Submitted March 28, 2012

Rather than having to schedule an appointment, take time off from work, and drive to her office, I requested just a simple (and very short) phone conversation about a sleep study I had taken at her clinic. Her staff was helpful in attempting to schedule something but she never responded. After trying for months - yes, months - she simply didn't call or take my phone calls. I would offer her the opportunity to select the date and time, but to no result. I understand doctors stay busy and that they prefer we come to their office so they can get the money for their time, but all I wanted to do was ask 2-3 simple questions about my study. Was that too much for a patient to ask? Sleep studies are very expensive and you would think a follow-up to answer questions and discuss would be a wise suggestion, but that never happened.

flag | Submitted July 25, 2009

Dr. Emsellem is outstanding in the field of sleep disorders. For me, Her care has made the difference between a life of suffering with my condition, to as normal a life as possible.

flag | Submitted August 6, 2006

Dr. Helene A. Emsellem's Credentials

• George Washington Univ Sch Of Med & Hlth Sci, Washington Dc 20037 (Grad. 1977)

Coresource